Sign in with
Your question

Which video cards for 6 monitor display?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2012 12:34:12 PM

Hello,

I am looking to set up a 6 monitor display for my work office and would like to know if the video cards I'm thinking of purchasing will be able to handle my new setup. I will not be using this setup for gaming. The main use will be for monitoring different sites, which involves multiple browsers open, as well as many tabs open (about 12-20 windows and between 50-100 tabs total, maybe more).

First, I would like to know if 2 of these cards can handle the setup:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If it can't, I am thinking of getting 2 of these:

I would like to use 5 more of the following monitors. I am currently using the Planar PX2710MW in a dual monitor display and am very please with it so far.

Would my PC be able to handle this if I just upgrade the Video Cards? Or would I need to upgrade anything else processor, RAM, power supply?

Some of the issues I am having with my current setup are occasional flickering in EI9 (usually when I have too many windows and tabs open. I have to close the tab and open a new one to fix this, which is a temporarily fix).

One other issue is chrome giving the "as snap! error displaying page" message, when to many tabs are open with pages that have flash on it (I think this might be a sandbox issue within chrome, but I'm not sure).

I am not sure what is causing these issues and I'm hoping a video card upgrade might fix it. At first, I was thinking I might need more ram (I tried upgrading to 32G, but it actually caused my PC to run slower. I think this has to do with my processor not liking that much ram. I will post this issue in another thread). Doing a little research, it sounds like it might be my video card.

I just did a clean install with all new drivers, so I don't think it's a driver problem.

Any thoughts would greatly help.

Thanks,

My PC specs:

Win7 64bit
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
Gigabyte GeForce GTX460-1 GB GDDR5 PCIE2 256B 2DVI-I/HDMI/FAN RTL Video Card GV-N460OC-1GI
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
Crucial Technology M4 64GB 2.5" SOLID STATE DRIVE 6GB/S - CRM464SSD
Topower 650W Power Supply
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 24, 2012 6:45:04 AM

So you do not intend to play games with the 6 monitors setup right?
For runing the 6 monitors in Eyefinity setup, you'll need one of the Eyefinity Edition cards like that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But you'll also need 6 Active mini DP to HDMI/DVI adapters.
From your recommendation above you'll only be able to drive the 6 monitors simultaneously but not Eyefinity. You'll only be able to run 3 monitors Eyefinity not all the 6.
m
l
May 24, 2012 9:46:18 PM

Yes, I have no intention in using the six monitors for gaming. Simultaneously is all I need.

My concern is more with whether my PC can handle the workload of all those windows/tabs with the 6 monitors.

I went ahead and purchased two of the XFX HD-677X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 and I'll update in the thread when I have all 6 running.

Do you think I should focus more on the RAM or CPU (more cores?) if my PC gets a little choppy/slow with all that workload? Or both?

I already had some problems when trying to upgrade to 32(8x8) GB RAM. My PC was actually running slower and choppy with the new RAM. Same latencies as my 16G. I don't get it.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 24, 2012 11:34:28 PM

I don't think that the CPU or the RAM would be a problem even if you open 1000 tab, if there's some slow performance, run some benches and see if the CPU/RAM run as they should or not.

Also i was going to suggest getting one of the HD 68xx series or above, Because I read that for Eyefinity to work with 3 1080P monitors you need 5800/6800 card but not sure what's the case for running the monitors independently.
m
l
Related resources
!