Sign in with
Your question

Good Budget Build??

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2012 6:26:09 PM

Hi, i am thinking about building a PC to replace my dated core 2 duo e7500 system, i will be going for intel because the AMD FX processors are ****. These are the parts I think would be best

Core i5 2400 3.1GHz (Quad)
8GB Corsair vengeance ram (DDR3 1600)
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 socket 1155

I can reuse the old 450w aopen PSU, the crappy 9400gt graphics card (will upgrade sometime), the case and hard drive.

Total cost for all the NEW parts.

£250.65 including delivery.

When Christmas comes around i would upgrade the graphics card, but for now, it's fine.

Might buy a new power supply too, i don't really trust the AOPEN 450W.

Cheers!! Feedback will be appreciated!

More about : good budget build

July 15, 2012 7:22:56 PM

This article has some good ideas: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can approach this several different ways:

1) Get good parts as you can afford them and then upgrade the rest later
2) Get the best system you can right now for the price
3) Wait until you can buy the best system

I'd say you are currently on track 1 by upgrading to a reasonably powerful cpu and leaving your older gpu in place. You will definitely find an improvement, but for the same price you could do option 2), get one of the slower cpus in the Tom's article and a graphics card like the 7750 and you'll have much better gaming before Christmas. Option 3 would be wait for Christmas and get the new cpu and by then gpu prices will have dropped (barring more flooding in Thailand).
July 15, 2012 7:43:38 PM

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, appreciated. (might take me a while to save up as im only 13)

Do i need to change my PSU, the aopen 450w is extremely heavy and chunky, has one sata, i think it's some sort of workstation power supply, so do i need to change that?

Also, could you give me your opinions on the CPU, MOBO and RAM please?

Cheers.
Related resources
July 15, 2012 7:52:19 PM

I don't know anything about AOpen or that model and don't see any professional reviews. The Corsair 430 is on a crazy sale at Newegg right now...like $25 with rebate and there are other very good 400w psus for less than $50. CPU and mobo seem fine...but I haven't specifically researched them. You can get cheaper RAM and it will probably make no difference in performance. Crucial 1333 will save you $20 or something...
July 15, 2012 8:03:52 PM

Cool, thanks.

Just one more question (sorry for all of them)

Would this system coupled with a gtx560 or something like that be enough to play BF3 on my 1080P moniter?

Would it also be enough for games of the future?

Cheers
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 8:15:03 PM

What is your primary use for this PC?

If it is for gaming, then you might want to upgrade your graphics card first.
The newer 28nm based cards do not need that much power. A 7750, for example should run on your current psu.
If you get a stronger graphics card, something in the 500-600w range will be needed.
Next time stick with known quality psu's. Seasonic, Antec. Corsair, PC P&C, and XFX to name a few.

If your main usage is multithreaded cpu bound apps, then a quad like the 2400 is good, and an appropriate upgrade.
But, then, I would look at either the 2500K or 3570K which are only a bit more expensive, but have a significant upside through overclocking.

If your main usage is gaming, and you want a better cpu, then perhaps something like a i3-2130 would be better.

My rule of thumb for a balanced gaming pc is to spend twice the cpu budget on the graphics card.

If you are uncertain, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
July 15, 2012 8:20:20 PM

geofelt said:
What is your primary use for this PC?

If it is for gaming, then you might want to upgrade your graphics card first.
The newer 28nm based cards do not need that much power. A 7750, for example should run on your current psu.
If you get a stronger graphics card, something in the 500-600w range will be needed.
Next time stick with known quality psu's. Seasonic, Antec. Corsair, PC P&C, and XFX to name a few.

If your main usage is multithreaded cpu bound apps, then a quad like the 2400 is good, and an appropriate upgrade.
But, then, I would look at either the 2500K or 3570K which are only a bit more expensive, but have a significant upside through overclocking.

If your main usage is gaming, and you want a better cpu, then perhaps something like a i3-2130 would be better.

My rule of thumb for a balanced gaming pc is to spend twice the cpu budget on the graphics card.

If you are uncertain, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Main uses are: (From most to least important - Gaming, web browsing, video editing (light) and word documents.

Gaming is the most important thing, so if i got a new PSU like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-Builder-Series-CX600-...

And a gtx550ti like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-GeForce-GTX-550-Ti-1GB-G...

Would i be able to play most games of today and tomorrow?
July 15, 2012 8:26:58 PM

I have no doubt that you will do better.

For a specific game, find out their minimum and recommended requirements.

For future games, who knows?
Game developers want the largest possible market for their products; they have no incentives to require ultra high end parts to run their games.
July 15, 2012 8:46:10 PM

Cool, cheers for all the answers.

Whats the best graphics card for lets say £120 ($186)??

Cheers!
July 15, 2012 8:52:46 PM

thomasd221 said:
Cool, cheers for all the answers.

Whats the best graphics card for lets say £120 ($186)??

Cheers!

No telling if your price structure is different than the US.

You might read this article on best graphics cards for the money:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
It would look like the GTX560 or 6870 would be about right.
But, they are older gen cards, and may be pushed out in favor of newer 28nm based cards.

The heirarchy list at the end will give you a reasonable way to compare other cards that may be offered to you.

Don't forget to take into account the psu that might be required to run one.
July 15, 2012 9:16:35 PM

Nothing wrong with that Corsair psu, but since you on a budget, you don't need 600w and you can get good ones cheaper. For example: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-c...

My wife has a 560ti 448 with a 420 watt power supply and the whole box never uses more than 300w.

!