Image Management Program

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 14, 2005 9:54:53 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my images that are on CD's so I don't have to
put each CD in my computer and look for a particular image. I tried
creating a contact sheet in Photoshop CS, then copying and pasting it
into Powerpoint, then typing in data for each image that would enable
me to search for the image I need. I named the Powerpoint file
"Index-Photo's on CD's. This might be as good as I can hope to do, but
the file size has grown to 14MB's and I only have two CD's done. I set
the resolution to 75ppi. I could type the filenames and data on a MS
Word file and not use thumbnails in order to minimize file size.

What I'm hoping for is a program that will do this or a suggestion that
some of you may do to accomplish this. As far as I know, ACDSee and
ThumbsPlus require you to place each CD in the computer. I'm on Windows
XP Home and Photoshop CS.
Thanks,
Lynn
August 15, 2005 6:32:56 PM

"kayaker" <llutton@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to organize my images that are on CD's so I don't have to
> put each CD in my computer and look for a particular image. I tried
> creating a contact sheet in Photoshop CS, then copying and pasting it
> into Powerpoint, then typing in data for each image that would enable
> me to search for the image I need. I named the Powerpoint file
> "Index-Photo's on CD's. This might be as good as I can hope to do, but
> the file size has grown to 14MB's and I only have two CD's done. I set
> the resolution to 75ppi. I could type the filenames and data on a MS
> Word file and not use thumbnails in order to minimize file size.
>
> What I'm hoping for is a program that will do this or a suggestion that
> some of you may do to accomplish this. As far as I know, ACDSee and
> ThumbsPlus require you to place each CD in the computer. I'm on Windows
> XP Home and Photoshop CS.
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Hi.

No, the pretty ancient version of Thumbs Plus I have will remember the
contents of each CD, and show thumbnails of the images, and you can fill in
keywords, etc for each image.

Roy G
August 15, 2005 9:20:39 PM

Per kayaker:
> As far as I know, ACDSee and
>ThumbsPlus require you to place each CD in the computer.

Not so for ThumbsPlus. It will work with almost anything that can have a
volume label.

OTOH, you *can* feed it a CD and it will pull thumbnails from it so that you can
review them without the CD in the computer. It will ask for the CD if/when
you want to zoom on something or copy the original.
--
PeteCresswell
August 16, 2005 9:26:44 AM

You might like to check out a program called 'Where Is It'. The opening
blurb from the web site follows. It does not need the media to be available
to search. (I purchased the program some years ago and have not had the
need to use it for some time but there were quite a few options within the
report writing including generating web pages etc.) Shareware at US$40.00.

http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

"Welcome to WhereIsIt-Soft.com, the home of
shareware edition of Where Is It? cataloging software. WhereIsIt is an
application written for 32-bit Windows operating systems, designed to help
you maintain and organize a catalog of your computer media collection,
including CD-ROMs, audio CDs, diskettes, removable drives, hard drives,
network drives, DVDs, or any other media that Windows can access as a drive.
The most basic goal for WhereIsIt is to provide access to the contents of
any media you have from a cataloged database, even if the media itself is
not available on the system - you can browse lists of files and folders,
search by any criteria, use descriptions, thumbnails, categories, flags,
etc. "

Anne Logan

"kayaker" <llutton@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to organize my images that are on CD's so I don't have to
> put each CD in my computer and look for a particular image. I tried
> creating a contact sheet in Photoshop CS, then copying and pasting it
> into Powerpoint, then typing in data for each image that would enable
> me to search for the image I need. I named the Powerpoint file
> "Index-Photo's on CD's. This might be as good as I can hope to do, but
> the file size has grown to 14MB's and I only have two CD's done. I set
> the resolution to 75ppi. I could type the filenames and data on a MS
> Word file and not use thumbnails in order to minimize file size.
>
> What I'm hoping for is a program that will do this or a suggestion that
> some of you may do to accomplish this. As far as I know, ACDSee and
> ThumbsPlus require you to place each CD in the computer. I'm on Windows
> XP Home and Photoshop CS.
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:19:07 AM

I'm trying to organize my images that are on CD's so I don't >have to
put each CD in my computer and look for a particular image
>Lynn

the pretty ancient version of Thumbs Plus I have will remember >>the
contents of each CD, and show thumbnails of the images, and you can
fill in keywords, etc for each image.
>>Roy G

>>You might like to check out a program called 'Where Is It'.
Anne Logan

Thanks for your replies. After reading them, I liked both programs
from what you said and what I read about them on the web. The next day
though, I went in Circuit City and found Paint Shop Photo Album 5
Deluxe Edition and it also does what I need. It cost $49.99 and you can
send for a $15 refund. I will play around with it and see if I'll be
happy happy with it. After I installed it I discovered it doesn't
recognize RAW files. I got around it so far by making a jpeg copy of
each RAW file with medium to low resolution so the program will put the
jpeg copy into a CDR. I hope that I can then place the RAW file in the
same CD. That might be the downfall of this program. I'll let you know
if I can do this.
Thanks,
Lynn
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:05:51 AM

>I found Paint Shop Photo Album 5 Deluxe Edition and
it also does what I need. I will play around with it and see
>if I'll be happy happy with it. After I installed it I discovered it doesn't recognize RAW files. I got around it so far by
>making a jpeg copy of each RAW file with medium to low resolution so the program will keep the jpeg copy.
>I hope that I can then place the RAW file in the same CD.
That might be the downfall of this program. I'll let you know
>if I can do this.
Lynn

What works is putting the RAW file and the jpg file on the CDR. Then, I
catalog the CDR in Jasc Photo Album 5 and it accepts just the jpg
copies. It also accepts about all image files except RAW. I can then
view the files in Photo Album and after determining the image fle
number, I can load the CDR and open the RAW file, so it works for me.
Lynn
!