Intel q9400 vs Intel e5800

Evan10800

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hi, i have a fairly old mobo and i'm limited to LGA 775 socket and currently have a Pentium dual core e5800. I was wondering if getting an Intel core 2 quad q9400 would be a noticeable upgrade for gaming. Thanks for your time in advance =)
I was also wondering if my pentium e5800 would bottleneck a gtx 650? And if so, would it be noticeable

Solution
D
It really depends on the game and if you can overclock or not. The Q9400 is a 2.66Ghz chip while the E5800 is 3.2Ghz. So in most games you will lose performance due to the loss of clockspeed. Only a few games will perform better on a lower clocked quad than a higher clocked dual.

With a good motherboard and an aftermarket CPU cooler the Q9400 should overclock to ~3.5Ghz making it a better chip than a stock E5800. That being said an E5800 should hit ~4Ghz easily with the same board and cooler.

Honestly I would not spend money on a platform that old. Save the money for a full upgrade. The games that really need a quad core CPU need a powerful one for the most part.
D

Deleted member 217926

It really depends on the game and if you can overclock or not. The Q9400 is a 2.66Ghz chip while the E5800 is 3.2Ghz. So in most games you will lose performance due to the loss of clockspeed. Only a few games will perform better on a lower clocked quad than a higher clocked dual.

With a good motherboard and an aftermarket CPU cooler the Q9400 should overclock to ~3.5Ghz making it a better chip than a stock E5800. That being said an E5800 should hit ~4Ghz easily with the same board and cooler.

Honestly I would not spend money on a platform that old. Save the money for a full upgrade. The games that really need a quad core CPU need a powerful one for the most part.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

If you have a motherboard from an OEM like Lenovo you are not going to be able to overclock. They lock the BIOS to prevent it. They want you to buy a new computer not get more performance out of the one you have. It also prevents people from overclocking with stock cooling and killing their CPUs. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 217926

No, I think a GTX 650 would be fine. You will encounter some games that just do better with a quad core CPU but that's different from a bottleneck. Most of your FPS type games really need a fast quad. Games like the Battlefield and Call of Duty series.

TRENDING THREADS