Sorting out Components

harrison_m

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I'm trying (and failing) in deciding which parts I should put together so lots of help and advise would be greatly appreciated!

The components I'm going for at them moment are:
- CPU Intel i5 3570k
- Motherboard Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H
- Graphics Card Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
- Hard-drive Seagate 3TB 3.5inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3
- RAM 2x4Gb of either Kingston or Corsair (whatever is cheaper)

Really need help on whether these components would be good together (and what you think would be better), what sized voltage is needed in the PSU, can I just go for any big sized PC case and what cooler would I need?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
My personal take here is to use a smaller HHD in conjuction with an SSD for operating system/boot drive. A small SSD (60-128GB) would do fine. The speed difference is impressive (IMO). You can always add HDD's later if needed.
A quality 550W PSU would work fine or, if you may X-fire in the future, you may want to go to a 750W. Your PSU should be from a reputable company like Corsair, FSP, Seasonic or... read reviews on the specific model you are considering - if no reviews, consider other options (newegg reviews don't count).
For a case, that is personal preference (I don't usually recommend specific cases) but most any mid tower of full tower should work, you could even go micro tower if you like small confined areas.
Your CPU cooler I will recomend the Coolermaster Hyper 212EVO - an excellent performer at a very resonable price - If you get that, keep in mind it is large so that may influence your case choice.

harrison_m

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Thank you, this is all brilliant stuff! I will have to change a few bits! So does an HHD and SSD combine together to form an HHD (sorry, quite new to all of this)?