hows dual wield work?

I just learned dual wield with my hunter, I have an axe in each hand,
but when I attack, I only use one axe. I sort of expected to attack
with both and do double damage/sec (assuming each axe does the same
DPS)

should i see a graphic animation of my guy swinging both weapons? the
one in the left hand is just held there, it never swings like the right
weapon.

On 8 Jun 2005 05:05:13 -0700, rrothberg@gmail.com wrote:

>I just learned dual wield with my hunter, I have an axe in each hand,
>but when I attack, I only use one axe. I sort of expected to attack
>with both and do double damage/sec (assuming each axe does the same
>DPS)

As far as i can tell you get the full DPS for the main hand weapon and
50% for the off-hand.

--
Gamertag: unclechibi
http://unclechibi.blogspot.com

rrothberg@gmail.com wrote:
> should i see a graphic animation of my guy swinging both weapons? the
> one in the left hand is just held there, it never swings like the right
> weapon.

My hunter dual wields and I always see both of her weapons swing.

Main hand = Blazing Rapier
Off hand= Hanzo sword

In fact, as fast as these weapons are, I see them swing a LOT!

-Alan

rrothberg@gmail.com wrote:
> should i see a graphic animation of my guy swinging both weapons? the
> one in the left hand is just held there, it never swings like the right
> weapon.

You should also note that when the two weapons you use have different
attack speeds you will see the hand with the fastest weapon attacking
more than the other.

wolfing wrote:
> there is a penalty somewhere for using 2 weapons

There is, but not enough to make it not worth it (despite the insistance of
2H or Sword&board tanking enthusiasts). The main advantage DW gives you
over 2H is the stats on the second weapon. The DPS works out to be about
the same. They set the DPS on the 2H and the penalty for DW to balance
that.

On 8 Jun 2005 05:05:13 -0700, rrothberg@gmail.com scribed into the ether:

>I just learned dual wield with my hunter, I have an axe in each hand,
>but when I attack, I only use one axe. I sort of expected to attack
>with both and do double damage/sec (assuming each axe does the same
>DPS)

Pay no attention to the animations, they have very little relevance to what
you are actually doing.

Dual Wielding is not the holy grail of melee combat, contrary to whatever
Drizzt book you've read. It is EXTREMELY difficult, and WoW reflects this.

1) All attacks when dual wielding are 4 times more likely to miss than
single wielding against the same target.

2) Your offhand weapon has it's listed damage halved, and is slowed down
some over what it would be doing if it were in the main hand.

alhob@earthlink.net wrote:

> rrothberg@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>should i see a graphic animation of my guy swinging both weapons? the
>>one in the left hand is just held there, it never swings like the right
>>weapon.
>

> My hunter dual wields and I always see both of her weapons swing.
>
> Main hand = Blazing Rapier
> Off hand= Hanzo sword

What lvl is your hunter if I may ask?

btw, hanzo is cool, but you might want to match it with a Julie's Dagger.
I did and now in melee when disengage fails I continue melee and the
dagger procs healing, while the hanzo procs damage to the enemy.

Gonna have one of them enchanted with icy chill as soon as I got 50G spare.

My hunter is almost lvl 60. I've seen Julie's Dagger in the AH and the
stats look nice. It just didn't seem like enough of an upgrade to
justify the cost. Right now, both of my swords have +4 dam on them. I
didn't want to spend a lot of gold on enchants until I decide if i'm
going to replace them or not.

Right now, I'm trying to save up for one of the Uber guns/bows since
that is where my main DPS comes from. My current ranged weapon is a
Heartseeking Crossbow, [ http://www.thottbot.com/?i=5564 ] but I've
been lusting after a Dwarven Hand Cannon or equivalent. I could
probably afford to get a Hurricane or Precisely Calibrated Boomstick
right now in the AH, but I don't know if I'd like burning through ammo
that fast and I'm reluctant to spend 250+ gold to buy a weapon that I
may not like.

-Alan
(Sergeant Major Lyvanna, lvl 59 NE Hunter on Thunderhorn)