digital cameras that were rechargeable

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 15, 2005 1:45:05 AM

I'm looking for an older model digital camera that is rechargeable ---
not one that runs on rechargeable batteries. I think the Sony Mavica
(pictures stored on floppies) was rechargeable but does anyone know of
another one? (I need a brand and model no.)

When I try to find the answer to my question via Google I get too
many hits on "rechargeable batteries".

Thanks in advance...
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:52:41 AM

>I'm looking for an older model digital camera that is rechargeable ---

My old Sony DSC-S70 is, and it takes a proprietary "info Li-Ion"
battery pack, which is charged in-situ via an external 'brick' that you
plug into the camera.

The later version DSC-S85 is similar. The Mavica, as you stated, is
also a "rechargeable camera".

-Chris
August 15, 2005 3:31:22 PM

"Vince" <vincent999@oco.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for an older model digital camera that is rechargeable ---
> not one that runs on rechargeable batteries. I think the Sony Mavica
> (pictures stored on floppies) was rechargeable but does anyone know of
> another one? (I need a brand and model no.)
>
> When I try to find the answer to my question via Google I get too
> many hits on "rechargeable batteries".
>
> Thanks in advance...

Not sure why - 'rechargeable' digicams have proprietry batteries anyway
(will eventually die and you'll have have to buy a new/expensive
replacement... I think the Mavica uses a Sony 'Stamina' Li-Ion). Only
'advantage' with ese is that you can recharge without removing the batteries
from the camera. If you really want one - Fuji MX1700 (1.5mpix), 4700 Zoom
(2.4mpix?) use NP80 and F610 (6mpix) uses NP40. I find it just as easy to
recharge AAs - Fuji A303/310 (3.2mpix) uses 2, 5 seconds to change and lasts
(almost..!) forever.
August 15, 2005 6:12:16 PM

Vince wrote:
> I'm looking for an older model digital camera that is rechargeable ---
> not one that runs on rechargeable batteries. I think the Sony Mavica
> (pictures stored on floppies) was rechargeable but does anyone know of
> another one? (I need a brand and model no.)

Canon G1, G2, and I think the G3, charged the battery in the camera (or
could charge it out of the camera), but IIRC this capability was not
present in the G5. It's quite a useful feature, too bad it's so uncommon
now.

Most cameras with docking stations will charge the batteries in-camera,
these are too numerous to list.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:04:27 PM

"DaveJ" <davej@nospampleze.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D dppbc$6e6$1@news.e7even.com...

> "Vince" <vincent999@oco.net> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for an older model digital camera that is rechargeable ---
>> not one that runs on rechargeable batteries. I think the Sony Mavica
>> (pictures stored on floppies) was rechargeable but does anyone know of
>> another one? (I need a brand and model no.)
>>
>> When I try to find the answer to my question via Google I get too
>> many hits on "rechargeable batteries".
>>
>> Thanks in advance...
>>
> Not sure why - 'rechargeable' digicams have proprietry batteries anyway
> (will eventually die and you'll have have to buy a new/expensive
> replacement... I think the Mavica uses a Sony 'Stamina' Li-Ion). Only
> 'advantage' with ese is that you can recharge without removing the
> batteries
> from the camera.

That sounds like a disadvantage to me. If your camera's batteries go dead,
you have to wait until the whole unit is recharged do get more photos,
rather than just dumping out the dead battery, replacing it and going on
about your business...
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Thanks for all your replies. I will search Ebay for the cameras
mentioned, and look into a "docking station", too.
vince

SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>Vince wrote:
>> I'm looking for an older model digital camera that is rechargeable ---
>> not one that runs on rechargeable batteries. I think the Sony Mavica
>> (pictures stored on floppies) was rechargeable but does anyone know of
>> another one? (I need a brand and model no.)
>
>Canon G1, G2, and I think the G3, charged the battery in the camera (or
>could charge it out of the camera), but IIRC this capability was not
>present in the G5. It's quite a useful feature, too bad it's so uncommon
>now.
>
>Most cameras with docking stations will charge the batteries in-camera,
>these are too numerous to list.
August 17, 2005 2:26:11 AM

> "DaveJ" <davej@nospampleze.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D dppbc$6e6$1@news.e7even.com...
> >
> > "Vince" <vincent999@oco.net> wrote in message
> >> I'm looking for an older model digital camera that is rechargeable ---
> >> not one that runs on rechargeable batteries. I think the Sony Mavica
> >> (pictures stored on floppies) was rechargeable but does anyone know of
> >> another one? (I need a brand and model no.)
> >>
> >> When I try to find the answer to my question via Google I get too
> >> many hits on "rechargeable batteries".
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance...
> >>
> > Not sure why - 'rechargeable' digicams have proprietry batteries anyway
> > (will eventually die and you'll have have to buy a new/expensive
> > replacement... I think the Mavica uses a Sony 'Stamina' Li-Ion). Only
> > 'advantage' with ese is that you can recharge without removing the
> > batteries
> > from the camera.
>
> That sounds like a disadvantage to me. If your camera's batteries go
dead,
> you have to wait until the whole unit is recharged do get more photos,
> rather than just dumping out the dead battery, replacing it and going on
> about your business...
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Exactly, which is why 'advantage' was quoted and the rest of my post
recommended using rechargeable AAs....
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:26:12 AM

"DaveJ" <davej@nospampleze.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D dtk11$j8a$1@news.e7even.com...

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>>

>> That sounds like a disadvantage to me. If your camera's batteries go
> dead,
>> you have to wait until the whole unit is recharged do get more photos,
>> rather than just dumping out the dead battery, replacing it and going on
>> about your business...
>> --
>> Skip Middleton
>> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
>>

> Exactly, which is why 'advantage' was quoted and the rest of my post
> recommended using rechargeable AAs....

I'm sorry, I should have linked my reply to his post, rather than yours, but
that "advantage" caught my eye.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
August 17, 2005 4:38:07 PM

> "DaveJ" <davej@nospampleze.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D dtk11$j8a$1@news.e7even.com...
> >
> > "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
> >>

> >> That sounds like a disadvantage to me. If your camera's batteries go
> > dead,
> >> you have to wait until the whole unit is recharged do get more photos,
> >> rather than just dumping out the dead battery, replacing it and going
on
> >> about your business...
> >> --
> >> Skip Middleton
> >> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
> >>

> > Exactly, which is why 'advantage' was quoted and the rest of my post
> > recommended using rechargeable AAs....
> >

> I'm sorry, I should have linked my reply to his post, rather than yours,
but
> that "advantage" caught my eye.
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

No problem Skip. Incidentally, I've used both types without problems but
always been in the position where I could recharge every couple of days.
Even then, I usually pack the Fuji A303 as insurance (quite small for an AA
powered camera).
!