Graphics Card Upgrade from Integrated Graphics

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2012 4:51:41 PM

Hello all.

I'm looking to upgrade my video card from the cruddy intergrated graphics that I currently have. I'm not looking to have a graphics card that can play the latest on full, but that will play some of the newer games looking decent with a good framerate.

I know very little about graphics cards so any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Info:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: December 2009

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Flight Sim X Acceleration, Empire: Total War, BF3, PlanetSide 2 (when it comes out)].

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Integrated graphics Intel GMA 3100 :??:  , BESTEC 300W max PSU.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: The computer is an s5257c HP Pavilion Slimline that has been put into an HP Pavilion a1268c Shell. The motherboard and disc drive are the same as on the s5257c, but the PSU, IO Ports, and cooling fan are from the a1268c. The motherboard is an MS-7525 (Boston). 4GB of memory. Processor is a Pentium (R) Dual-Core E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2.60GHz. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Cooling doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with the new shell; it's currently alot cooler than it was when it was in the slimline shell.

BUDGET: I would like to stay as cheap as possible. My max is $150. (Not much to work with, I know)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I would prefer Amazon, but I will buy from other places if necessary. Nothing too seedy, though. ;)  COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have no preferences for parts. I'll take whatever will work.

OVERCLOCKING: No.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: >Is noob that doesn't even know what this means<

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1900x600

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Again, I don't want to run the newest games on their highest settings, just enough for them to look alright and have decent framerates.

I have been looking at this card, and it seems like it would fit the bill perfectly, but I want to you're input before I start making purchases: ]http://www.amazon.com/EAH6670-DIS-1GD5-Radeon-GDDR5/dp/B004X8EODY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=9HF1XB08ERR1&coliid=I2FCKAH34SKLK6]

Thanks,

Veta

More about : graphics card upgrade integrated graphics

a c 187 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 5:56:06 PM

That's a nice budget gaming card, just make sure you get the GDDR5 version and not the DDR3 one.
m
l
Related resources
a c 187 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 6:15:56 PM

That card should run on even a cheaper 300 watt PSU, from the images of the card it does not even need external power.
m
l
May 22, 2012 6:22:25 PM

hang-the-9 said:
That card should run on even a cheaper 300 watt PSU, from the images of the card it does not even need external power.

Not requiring external power doesn't mean anything if the PSU can't supply enough.
m
l
!