Sign in with
Your question

If a cpu is new but not boxed does that void the warranty

Last response: in CPUs
November 26, 2012 10:26:32 AM

Hi guys, I wanted to buy a i7 3770k but the guy who I was buying it off said he has lost the box but insists that it is new. My question is even though it wont have the box do they still have warranty or do you need the box for the warranty? Thanks
November 26, 2012 10:31:05 AM

Sorry my mistake, he says he buys them in bulk so they come without the box? So he is going to send me a processor and heatsink without the box
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2012 12:15:55 PM

HI

I presume you mean a warranty from Intel

You do not get them from Intel with OEM processors.
You rights are against the retailer should it have a manufacturers defect

If you destroy it by overclocking, over voltage or heat sink not connected you are on your own

Under UK law any Warranty or Guarantee has to be in writing or it has no effect (could include web site)

BUT this different to your rights under Sale of Goods Act and depends on if you are a retail customer or a business customer
and what country you are in.

regards

Mike Barnes

Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2012 12:36:19 PM

As far as I know, the wholesale version also comes in a box. It doesn't come unboxed.
However, Cheaper Intel Mobos come in packets in the wholesale.
I suggest you inspect the seller's motives carefully, so that you don't regret later, only for saving some bucks.
a c 471 à CPUs
November 26, 2012 1:34:58 PM

You are basically buying an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) CPU. PC builders like Dell & HP generally buys OEM products in bulk. It basically means they pay a lower price for them because there is no warranty for those products.

If you buy that OEM CPU from the seller you will not have a warranty with Intel. However, you would have one with the seller; if he provides one. Places selling OEM products to consumers generally come with 30 - 90 day warranty.

If this is just some guy selling PC parts, then walk away. If it from a legitimate business then it's should be okay, unless your gut tells you not to trust them/him.
!