Sign in with
Your question

My build crashes out whenever I do something graphics intensive?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2012 5:38:00 PM

So I've had this build (i5 2500k, EVGA nVidia GTX 570HD, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, OCZ 60GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD, 750W OCZ ZS PSU) for about 9 months now.

I'm not going to pretend everything has been smooth going, it must have crashed out for no particular reason dozens of times before this (all during gaming, but only after a while), but I've never been able to do anything about it. But this is unbearable now (it hasn't been getting worse, this happened all of a sudden), I only need to start up Minecraft and it will crash. No blue screen, the screen just goes blank, and leave it long enough it will restart with the standard 'Windows didn't shut down properly'. This is a gaming build. It can run Battlefield 3 on Ultra. Why on earth is it crapping out, and what can I do? Please, help me!

[I have assumed this is a graphics card problem, as I said it only happens during gaming.]
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 5:47:27 PM

Hi

I've been experiencing a similar issue with a GTX 570, my monitors will loose signal when playing a game, So I've RMA'd my card today....

Anyway I would recommend trying the graphics card in another PC if possible.
May 22, 2012 5:49:41 PM

Sounds like your video card might be overheating. Download EVGA precision and game for 10 mins then look at your temps. With precision you can set the cards fan to a higher speed to counter high temps.

Also make sure the card isn't full of dust, theres enough air flow in your case, and that the fans are working.
Related resources
May 22, 2012 6:06:28 PM

@proxy Gaming for 10 minutes is no longer a possibility! It cant be overheating in a few seconds, can it? Air flow in my computer is fine, and I only dusted it a few weeks ago :s

@omg I can't try the card in another PC, as the other ones in the house are laptops. And I bought the card in the US so I can't return it to the retailer. I could try the manufacturer I guess?
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 6:13:50 PM

Kilo-Bite said:
@proxy Gaming for 10 minutes is no longer a possibility! It cant be overheating in a few seconds, can it? Air flow in my computer is fine, and I only dusted it a few weeks ago :s

@omg I can't try the card in another PC, as the other ones in the house are laptops. And I bought the card in the US so I can't return it to the retailer. I could try the manufacturer I guess?

Do none of your friends or family members have a desktop PC?

You could try re-installing the graphics driver, re-seating the card, remove any overclocks ETC... but to be honest I think the card is faulty, it would just be good to get confirmation by testing the card in another PC.

You should be able to return the card to the manufacture.
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 6:57:07 PM

Sounds a lot like a memory failure, probably the VRAM on your video card. Just to be sure, try using only one RAM stick (system memory) at a time. If they are both good, you should either test your video card on another PC (as omgitzfatal suggested) or replace it.
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 7:32:41 PM

The card should be under warranty, so call the manufacturer and see if they can test it remotely. They will probably make you send it in to test it.

Look in event viewer for any system or application errors after a freeze.

It wouldn't hurt to run UBCD and scan your hardware for issues. Memtest86 is good for testing ram.
May 22, 2012 9:19:11 PM

I don't think there's any easy way for me to get hold of another computer to test it out, though I'll ask a few friends (who will have no end of fun seeming as I dished out for the best GPU when we all built last summer) and see if I can go test it in there's.

I'm pretty sure I haven't got anything at overclocked speeds, seeming as I can remember restoring the BIOS to factory settings a few months ago and haven't touched it since. However the GPU came out of the box 'superclocked', but of course if the manufacturer made it like that, it should be able to work.

I'll also call EVGA tomorrow, and for now I'll install new chipset drivers, make sure the memory is working fine and generally check out any other possibilities...
May 22, 2012 9:33:55 PM

wont let me edit...

by the way, I've check the event viewer and the only thing its logged is the system crash

Just checked CPU-Z now:

... -233MB of memory? Even if negative memory is normal, it should have 1250MB?
!