Could unstable psu voltages cause problems?

assassin1234

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello,
today i checked my psu voltages in bios ,
i saw that the +5v rail and +3v rail was fluctuating a little
the +5v is usally always at 5.080v but it sometimes goes to 5.120v for about 1 sec and comes back down to 5.080v in bios
is this a problem?

Solution
G
no, they will fluctuate even when you idle.

you got a good PSU - the differences are fine.

stop worrying!
G

any electrical source will never be perfectly the same constantly. stable is when it stays inside the the values.

seriously 0.04 is so tiny . . as long as you do not exceed more than .25 difference on the 5 volt rail it fine.

G

Check the Voltages when stress testing 100% CPU and GPU loads, if they drop below the specs (5%/10%) then yes you have a problem, minor fluctuations happen on every PSU, good or bad.

G

no, they will fluctuate even when you idle.

you got a good PSU - the differences are fine.

stop worrying!

Solution

assassin1234

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

i thoght this would cause crashes thats why i asked :)

G

i am glad to help.

your motherboard and graphics card have little power supplies on the called VRMs (voltage regulation modules) they are just like your power supply except they use DC/DC instead of AC/DC.

the motherboard has them for the cpu, memory and igpu if its on the cpu. the graphics card has them for the gpu and memory. they (the VRMs) fine tune the voltage even more. so as long as the PSU is within the specs, they VRMS are made to be able to handle it and provide "smoother" power to the components.

here is a review of a motherboard where the reviewer explained alot about digital VRMs
X58A-OC Review- MOST in depth!

here is a whole mess of stuff with links:
About VRMs & MOSFETs / Motherboard Safety with high-TDP processors

read that and you'll be an expert!