6230 MMC partition table

Last response: in Brands
July 22, 2004 3:28:21 PM

I recently tried to mount the MMC card that came with my Nokia 6230
with a USB card reader on a Linux machine, and it detected it
correctly:

SCSI device sdd: 62720 512-byte hdwr sectors (32 MB)
sdd: assuming Write Enabled
sdd: assuming drive cache: write through

Still, I can't seem to be able to access it. Mounting CompactFlash
cards works fine on this machine, and the reader used is the same
(it supports 6 formats). When I try to display the partition table:

$ fdisk -l /dev/sdd

the reader will blink endlessly and the following appears in the
logs:

SCSI error : <2 0 0 3> return code = 0x6000000
end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 0
SCSI error : <2 0 0 3> return code = 0x6000000
end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 0
unable to read partition table

What kind of crack have the Nokia people been smoking? What format
is the MMC card using? Not VFAT?

-m
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 9:39:24 PM

"martin f. krafft" <alt.cellular.nokia@usenet.madduck.net> wrote in message
> I recently tried to mount the MMC card that came with my Nokia 6230
> with a USB card reader on a Linux machine, and it detected it
> correctly:
>
> What kind of crack have the Nokia people been smoking? What format
> is the MMC card using? Not VFAT?

Most flash cards are formatted as FAT16 to maintain compatibility with
non-windows OSs. Try mounting it using "msdos" as the file system type
instead of "vfat" as vfat is fat32.

Let us know if this works. It worked for me when mounting my USB MP3 player.
Same problem as you described when using vfat.

I also notice that on my 5 in one card reader I get 5 devices (sdd1 to
sdd5), so make sure you're mounting the correct device. Some card readers
only allow one card to be inserted at a time and these only have one device
(usually sdd or sdd0).

Tell us if any of this helps.

Adam
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:43:51 PM

I am currently suspecting my 4-in-1 crad reader to be broken. Thus
I will let you know once I get a replacement.

-m
!