Sign in with
Your question

Help me choos a cpu for MASSIVE PHOTOSHOP usage and then gaming

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2012 11:42:26 PM

Hi guys, i'm new here so Hello!

My previous pc broke some days ago ( AMD Phenom 9850, Amd790x controller mobo, hd4850, ddr2 ram) and today i have to choose an entire new system ( i can handle the details, don't worry about those) cause i need to keep working. The problem is that i need a very powerful multi thread solution pc that can give me his power in a flash. I'm totally out of the world of pc hardware (but i'm trying to catching up) and i have a lot of doubts about what to choose. Someone is telling me that the i5 is the best solution (i can spend around 200$ for a cpu) . The fact is that i totally love amd, my previous configuration has given me so much, it was a real monster for my applications ( i have an intensive use of photoshop and similar here) and the bridge was able to give the direct acces for the cpu and gpu to the ram so it was fast.

Today i was looking for cpu's and i was more likely to take the fx 8150 but everyone hates it so much that i'm totally confused about it. Please give me an help with that and please give me short explanation about WHY those thing you're suggesting are the better call for me.!

PS: Of course i think i'm going to take a middle range gpu for playing a little but i need a fast interaction between cpu-gpu-ram cause of 2d graphic usage.

I really appreciate all the help i can get, thank you!
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2012 12:02:16 AM

if you do a lot of photoshop or anything multi-threaded, getting fx 8120 is a good idea. also, your budget for the CPU is under 300 dollars so that makes fx a good choice once again. the problem is that fx sucks in games or anything single threaded. its game performance can be beat by a intel sandy bridge pentium

if you do more games, getting a i5 3570k will be much better. if you have more cash, getting a i7 3770k is the best choice for your needs
a c 316 à CPUs
July 16, 2012 12:07:34 AM

In the Intel world, $200 will buy you a 2500K, or possibly a 3570K if you live near a microcenter.
Either will be a massive jump over your old 9850. 2x??
So will a FX-8150.

You might want to look at some tests documented in the Anandtech bench :
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288
Be careful looking, as some tests are measured in time where less is good, and others are in fps type performance where more is good.
In general, the Intel chips perform better per clock because of a better architecture. The difference may be 10-30% better.

Either chip can be overclocked to good effect. The intel chips can have their multipliers raised from the default 34 to 43 and even higher with a decent aftermarket cpu cooler. I am no authority on FX overclocking.

Games rarely use more than 2 or 3 cores, so the faster intel cores predominate there.
For heavily threaded apps, the amd 8 cores come close.
The reason is that the 8 core amd chips are divided into pairs that share some resources.

Past the cpu, buy as much ram as you can. 16gb, possibly 32gb. (You will need windows 7 pro or ultimate for >16gb). Photoshop can make use of all the ram it can get.
Related resources
July 16, 2012 12:12:04 AM

See this: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg6/amd-fx-8...

Ivy Bridge (3570 or 3770) will be even better. If this is for professional purposes and you have a professional budget, a i7 six core cpu like the 3930 or the 8-core Xeons will be even better. Adobe has some articles about optimizing a system for Photoshop: they can use as many cores and as much RAM as you throw at them.

Unfortunately a little dated, but: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/05/how-to-tune-p...
a c 146 à CPUs
July 16, 2012 1:35:15 AM

The fx is actually better in ps than the i7. But take a look at the other apps and you get disappointed, big time. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar... It's still such a small difference in ps from the i5 that the benefits in other areas outweigh it so an i5 would be my choice.
July 16, 2012 5:10:14 AM

k1114 said:
The fx is actually better in ps than the i7. But take a look at the other apps and you get disappointed, big time. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar... It's still such a small difference in ps from the i5 that the benefits in other areas outweigh it so an i5 would be my choice.

That link you included shows the i7s killing the fx in 2 out of the 3 ps benchmarks.
July 16, 2012 7:59:05 AM

I'll thank you for your help guys, i've been watching the cpu now and i have at around the same price the fx8150 vs the i5 3570k or with 50 bucks more the i7 2600k. Now i've seen that the fx has a really crappy architecture i think i'm going to choose intel and here that comes more doubts, should i go with i7 sandy or i5 ivy?.

An more, I really don't like nvidia for gaming (or anything else) but for the most cpu performance what kind of mobo i need?
a c 316 à CPUs
July 16, 2012 3:16:26 PM

HitsuSan said:
I'll thank you for your help guys, i've been watching the cpu now and i have at around the same price the fx8150 vs the i5 3570k or with 50 bucks more the i7 2600k. Now i've seen that the fx has a really crappy architecture i think i'm going to choose intel and here that comes more doubts, should i go with i7 sandy or i5 ivy?.

An more, I really don't like nvidia for gaming (or anything else) but for the most cpu performance what kind of mobo i need?

If you are considering the 2600K, which is appropriate for your multithreaded app, then see if you can't find the budget for the 3770K. It is the ivy bridge follow on to the 2600K which includes hyperthreading.
My take is, if you already have a sandy, there is no compelling reason to upgrade to ivy. But for a new build, I would pick an ivy based on the more efficient architecture.

Really, any Z77 based motherbaard will be good. The higher priced enthusiast motherboards will have multiple pci-e slots intended for cf/sli multiple cards. The high end motherboards will also have stronger voltage regulation intended for maximum overclocks. I do not see that as any great benefit to one who will just need a strong conservative OC.
July 17, 2012 12:26:00 PM

Ok guys, here's my choices:

Motherboard - Z77 Pro4 - - € 96,70
Cpu - Intel I7 3770 - - € 268,50
Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 612S - - € 37,05
SSD - Samsung 830 128gb - - € 129,30
RAM - DDR3 G.Skill Ares F3 - 4x8gb (32gb) - - € 185,00
GPU - Sapphire HD7850 2GB GDDR5 OC - - € 226,00

Total - 942,15€

Those are the lowest price i could find around, if you think i should change somthing let me know (i'm already out of budget here so if i can spare something would be better)
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2012 2:15:47 PM

id get a asus p8h77-v board. you wont be overclocking with a non k chip. you also dont need 32gb of ram unless you are going extreme on photoshop. you also dont need the cooler since you cant overclock and aftermarket heatsinks dont do too much
a c 316 à CPUs
July 17, 2012 3:01:23 PM

How much more would a 3770K be?
Normally, it will be 6% more.
For that price delta, the compute power goes up from the non overclocked 3.4 to 3.5 which can be easily overclocked to 4.3.

It would be worth it even to use the stock cooler instead if your budget is that fixed.
July 17, 2012 6:26:55 PM

The 3770k will get me completely out of budget but i'm not going to overclock the cpu anyway, i'm getting the cooler cause usually we have 40°C during summer all the day where i live, and i'm going to stay close to the pc for very long time. I'm going extreme on Photoshop of course and actually i can easily eat up to 16gb of ram if i need to open one of my files with 2 application. Since i'm buying a machine that i don't want to touch anymore the best is to buy 32gb of ram right now cause i already know that i'm going to need it. I usually keep one or two browsers opened with10 or 15 tabs if i'm doing some research for my job so the hyperthreading is very handy if you consider Photoshop opened handing a 10gigs file (generally) and maybe some other. I don't want to end up thinking that maybe i didn't do the right choice.
!