SCSI Backwards Compatible

G

Can anyone tell me if SCSI Hard Drives are backwards compatible? What I mean is I have a Adaptec 2940UW that does 40MB throughput max and was going to get a Ultra2 SCSI Hard Drive that does 80MB throughtput max or a U160 SCSI HDD and was wondering if this would work. I know I won't ultilize the max speed of the HDD, but I will eventually get an Adaptec 29160 or 29160N card for that later. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

G

It's quite possible, yes. But you might want to use some adapters. Have a read <A HREF="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/supporteditorial.html?supportCat=/Product/AHA-2940UW&prodkey=differential_SCSI&cat=/Product/AHA-2940UW" target="_new">here</A>.

Leo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it can support faster drives at the slower transfer rate. For standard 50-pin and 68-pin drives no adapters should be needed. For 80-pin drives an adapter will be needed. I don't think an adapter is needed for LVD drives, but someone else might say different.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

No you won't need any adapters for standard 50pin or what it will more than likely be 68pin, LVD drives are 68pin as well. You will need a separate active terminator as LVD drives do not come with onboard termination. You may also want to set the jumper on the drive to force SE mode, which should be on most LVD drives. You may not be using most of the performance of the drive, but there's only a small minority of high end SCSI hard drives that would be limited by a 40MB bus assuming that's the only drive pumping data across the bus.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***