Sign in with
Your question

Looking to buy a med-price system

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2012 12:41:16 AM

Hallo! I'm not wanting to spend a lot more than £500, and my main purposes include Streaming to Twitch.tv and playing older/non-intensive games like Diablo 3/World of Warcraft. I've already got a Radeon 7750 which suits all of my needs for a GPU. However, one day I may wish to upgrade, but certainly not right now. (PSU?)

Anyway, from Palicomp.co.uk, I can get the following PC for £499 delivered. The core PC was £309 but I upgraded the CPU from an i5 3450 to that listed (£50). Also, from 4GB ram to 8gb (£35). Upped the HD to 1TB (£50ish) from 500gb and added the cheapest SSD that was SATA 3 (£60). I also payed £10 for some extra fans or something. I don't intend to OC it as I don't play games that require such a thing.

This is a link to the core PC, reduced from £450 to £309 recently
http://www.palicomp.co.uk/home/office-pcs/intel-home/of...

From what I've seen in advance (eg in stores/other websites) the price/spec is very competitive. Tell me if I'm wrong and if I should look for something else or to add/take anything else. I'm absolutely against building my own PC.

Main questions: Are the PSU and Motherboard ok? Will this motherboard be able to run Crossfire?

Extra info: Quite pleased to get a copy of Windows 7 included, other websites don't include. Already have a dual monitor setup (one HDMI, one VGA) that I enjoy using.

Follows is the C&P info from the PC I 'built'.

NEW CASES: COLOURSIT Knight Black Interior Mesh Front Case
POWER SUPPLY: 450W PSU
INTEL CPU...: Intel Core i5 4 Core 3570K 3.4Ghz 6MB L3 CACHE (IvyBridge)
CPU COOLING: HEATSINK/FAN FOR CPU INCLUDED
INTEL MOTHERBOARD.: ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 With H61 Chipset
RAM.: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz/PC3-10600 Dual Channel Memory
SOLID STATE HDD (SSD): 60GB OCZ Agility3 SATA3 - 6Gb/s
MASTER HARD DRIVE: 1TB (1000GB) SATA3 - 6Gb/s, 7200 RPM & 32MB Cache
SLAVE HARD DRIVE: NONE
RAID: NONE
MASTER OPTICAL DRIVE.: SONY 24X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer & Dual Format
SLAVE OPTICAL DRIVE: NONE
GRAPHICS CARD (PCI-E): Intergrated Graphics On CPU/Motherboard
SOFTWARE: NEW OS - WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM 64BIT
SOUND CARD: ONBOARD Standard Min 5.1 Or 7.1
COOLING: Pack Of 2 x Case Fans Silent & Powerful, Highly Recommended To Reduce Overall System Temperture & Prolong Life Of PC (If This Spec Already Has Max Case Fans We Will Upgrade The Standard Ones To Silent Versions)

If you request any extra information please say! Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: I'm from UK. UK websites preferably!

More about : buy med price system

July 25, 2012 9:51:04 PM

Let me know if you want a AMD build suggestion... Otherwise I would probably get a better motherboard... If you plan on upgrading a lot of other things like video cards and such in the future, you can not get too good of a motherboard.

Also don’t buy a sound card, I have never owned one as they offer no real benefit.
July 25, 2012 10:08:17 PM

If you don't plan to OC, don't get a k-series processor. Stick with the 3450, or if they have it, a 3570 without the k. Then upgrade to an H77 motherboard. If you do plan to OC, upgrade to a z77 motherboard and get a CPU cooler.

Assuming your PSU is good quality, it'll run a 7750 crossfire without issue and still have some wiggle room for OC.
Related resources
July 25, 2012 10:11:19 PM

You do not plan to OC so there's no point to upgrading to an i5 3570k. The only difference is that it is overclockable. Just get the 3450.

What I would upgrade is the MoBo. If you can get an H77 MoBo instead that would be great. That way you can take advantage of PCI Express 3.0. Not sure if it is supported by the H61 chipset. If someone could clarify this. I could be wrong.

450W PSU is enough to power your system. The thing is since it does not say the brand or model of the PSU, I'm quite shaky about the quality you will be getting. You can fry your entire system with one bad PSU. I would upgrade to a more reliable one like ones from Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, etc.

450W seems a bit low to xFire. I would say at least a 650W PSU since you do stated you want to upgrade the GPU in the future. Again just make sure the PSU is from a reliable brand.
July 25, 2012 10:17:45 PM

Just checked AMD's website. 500W is recommended for a 7750 crossfire setup. On a PSU calculator, it estimates a little over 400 W is used. I would go with the recommended amount at least.
!