Tags:
  • New Build
  • DVD
  • Burner
  • CD-Rom
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2012 1:00:38 AM

I am building a new system and I have decided not to include an internal CD/DVD reader/burner. I intend to buy an external one, preferrably USB 3, for the express purpose of loading Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 for this build, as well as the next build for my wife in about 6 months. I have two questions...

1. Which external CD/DVD reader/burner do you recommend (preferrably USB 3.0)?

2. When booting up a system without an internal CD/DVD reader/burner, if I simply plug in the external USB CD/DVD reader/burner before booting, will the BIOS typically recognize it and allow me to load Windows from it, or is it typically necessary to set the BIOS to boot from the external USB device? My concern is that the USB drivers will not be loaded at that point, so I am worried that the system will not recognize the external device until after the USB drivers are loaded. Any thoughts? Thanks!

More about : external usb dvd reader burner

July 16, 2012 2:08:46 PM

With no responses forthcoming to my question, I did more research and decided to simply go with the internal ASUS that has worked well for so long; namely the ASUS DRW-24B3ST. There are certainly no speed advantages to an external drive and they are pricier. So, I will bite the bullet and install an internal DVD reader that I will only use very, very rarely.

ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

As a final note on this, CDs and DVDs really should go the way of the floppy, as should the concept of buying software on DVDs and CDs in a physical store.
m
l
July 16, 2012 2:27:27 PM

If it's just for installing the OS, you could go with a USB stick and load Win7 from a thumb drive. This will be quicker than installing from a CD, and would probably be a lot cheaper than purchasing an external cd/dvd drive.
m
l
July 16, 2012 3:43:33 PM

ss202sl said:
If it's just for installing the OS, you could go with a USB stick and load Win7 from a thumb drive. This will be quicker than installing from a CD, and would probably be a lot cheaper than purchasing an external cd/dvd drive.

Are you saying to create an image of my Windows 7 DVD, copy it to a flash drive, change the bios to boot from the USB flash drive, and install Windows from that?

Edit: Disregard my previous. I see that Microsoft offers a solution for that now [1], but I can also use disc imaging software to clone an image of my Window's DVD to a flash drive.

1. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage...
m
l
!