Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card from Laptop to Desktop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 8:15:50 PM

Okay, so I have an Acer Aspire 5534 laptop and a Compaq/HP Desktop.

The laptop has:

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor L310 (1.2 GHz)
-ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics Card

Desktop:
-AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz)
-NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics Card

Now, the laptop's ATI card is good enough for what I play/watch, but the processor is ***. As for the desktop, the processor is more than enough for me, but oh Lord the GeForce 6150 SE is awful, even when it's OC'd (no other components can be OC'd on the laptop or dekstop, either).

So, I wish to be able to use the AMD Athlon II X2 240 with the ATI card. First things first:

Is there any possible way to connect the laptop to the desktop so that the Athlon II can use the ATI card? As in without having to take anything apart, maybe a wire.

If so, would the ATI Radeon HD3200 be bottlenecked? Because the bottlenecked ATI card wouldn't be of any more use than the NVIDIA.

If not, what would I need to check for to see if I could install the ATI card in the desktop?

Thanks for reading/answering. I have looked all over the internet, but I can't find any answers.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 9:06:07 PM

Those aren't actually "graphics cards" per say.They are what is called an integrated GPU.It is part of the chipset on the motherboard so they cannot be removed,replaced or upgraded.Furthermore you cannot interchange laptop and desktop parts at all.But what you can do is buy a discrete GPU for the desktop.That would give you a huge improvement.Discrete GPU's go for around $50.

What are the full system specs (CPU,RAM,etc) for the desktop?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 12:23:42 AM

All right, I thought they were integrated. I've never had time or money to spend on computers, so I've been using these for the longest time, which my parents gave me as gifts.

The Desktop:
-AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz)
-NVIDIA GeForce 6150
-3 GB RAM

Yeah, I'm assuming I'm better off just buying a whole new desktop; I've got $700 that I can put towards it.

m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 1:41:08 AM

Well a new PC would be nice but that Athlon ii dual core is still good for light gaming.If you don't use your PC that much or play demanding games then blowing $700 on a new PC would be kind of a waste.What games do you play and what do you use your PC mostly for?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 2:04:52 AM

I'm currently only able to play older computer games; also, I use Project64 often, but not completely perfectly.

I probably should have said I was looking for a quick fix to hold me off for little bit. But, I want to be able to run Dolphin (Gamecube Emulator) and play current games at close to max, on a 1080p TV.

I know this is now a different question, but any recommendations? I'm doing my best to try and browse computers and build-your-owns. Usually, I end up coming to $1,500 for customs and $800 for pre-built (most have fantastic processors, and then a terrible GPU).

http://www.amazon.com/iBuyPower-GAMER-POWER-AM599-Deskt...

^I've come to this from searching through many pre-built desktops. Google says it has a good GPU, but I have yet to find what the actual GPU is, which is obviously not good.

Thanks for replying, too.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 3:14:19 AM

For what you use the PC for you really don't need to spend more than $100 to upgrade your current PC.It is more than capable of handling any console game at 1080p.Your PC(with a new GPU) is much much faster than a Xbox 360 and a PS3.It should have no problem playing Gamecube games.

That PC from amazon has a good processor and RAM but it doesn't list the GPU.

If you want a new PC the best route is always to build it yourself.But if your a first time to it I can understand the need of wanting a pre-built system.If gaming is something you do mostly on your PC then you should stay away from the traditional companies like HP,Compaq,Dell,etc.Because those companies make multi-media PC's which is for everyday use computing.Not geared for the gamer at all.Stick with companies like iBuyPower,Cyberpower and Alienware(though they are usually a bit pricey).Since your not buying a new PC for a while though I suggest holding off until then to look because theirs is always something better around the corner.

What is the make/model of your power supply in your desktop?

What type of case is it?
m
l
!