3.2 Northwood Stock Heatsink

Lorthos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Hello

I received a 3.2 Northwood the other day and I noticed that they changed the heatsink and went to a slab of copper on to some other type of metal for the main heatsink. The metal looks duller then the previous heatsinks and seems to be too heavy to be Aluminum. Is this different metal then the older heatsinks?

And it also looks like they changed the thermal compound to something else too, looks just like coolermaster thermal grease.

I was going to install a hyper 48 too help things cool a little better but after I saw this I'm wondering if it would be worth it....

Are these new retail heatsinks cooling better then the previous releases?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lorthos on 12/18/04 09:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Real heavy, ain't it? They lap up real nice and will out-perform most anything on a 3.2C. They are damn NOISY though when they spool up. I ended up selling mine on E-Bay and getting a Zalman Al/Cu. I think the material the copper plate is bonded to is aluminum, just a much heavier and duller alloy.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Don't waste your money on a new heatsink. Get a $5 rpm adjuster and turn that noise down. Your cpu will only run 2-4 degrees warmer, but you'll keep your warranty intact, and save $30-50 over buying a new heatsink. I run my p4 2.8c overclocked at 3640 with only 2550 rpms at idle, using a zalman "fan mate 1" and stock Intel copper heatsink.