Player-run mail delivery

Last response: in Video Games
June 8, 2005 12:25:23 PM

On my server we have some really great roleplayers who have made
something I thought was so cool that I had to share it. It's called
the All-Azeroth Messaging Service or somesuch (I just know it as AAMS).
It has mail carriers on both sides. Basically, how it works is you
send your items and a note in the mail to one of your faction's AAMS
representatives. Then they contact the deliveree and deliver it by
hand. But here's the really neat part - it works CROSS-FACTION. I
suppose they use the Gadgetzan auction house for this, but they make it
trivially easy to send stuff cross-faction (so you don't have to bother
with the Gadgetzan auction house yourself and both be there at the same
time). Of course they charge a fee for their services, but it's well
worth it.

Last night I got four packages from a friend on the Alliance. We're
having a cross-faction RP picnic this Saturday and she was sending me
food and fireworks to hand out to the Horde attendees.
June 8, 2005 3:07:35 PM

On 2005-06-08, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

> Last night I got four packages from a friend on the Alliance. We're
> having a cross-faction RP picnic this Saturday and she was sending me
> food and fireworks to hand out to the Horde attendees.

Is this some kind of joke? How do you get up in the morning and
stand to look at yourself in the mirror?

CROSS FACTION PICNIC? I mean you can't even RP properly. You've
turned WoW into some family cartoon.
June 8, 2005 4:24:08 PM

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> Is this some kind of joke? How do you get up in the morning and
> stand to look at yourself in the mirror?
>
> CROSS FACTION PICNIC? I mean you can't even RP properly. You've
> turned WoW into some family cartoon.

C'mon, Cyde, let's see the backstory of this 'picnic' you speak of. It's
gotta be a trap of some sort, right? :-p

Phlip
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 8, 2005 4:24:09 PM

"phlip" <phil*nospam*mcr@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>> Is this some kind of joke? How do you get up in the morning and
>> stand to look at yourself in the mirror?
>>
>> CROSS FACTION PICNIC? I mean you can't even RP properly. You've
>> turned WoW into some family cartoon.
>>
> C'mon, Cyde, let's see the backstory of this 'picnic' you speak of. It's
> gotta be a trap of some sort, right? :-p
>
> Phlip

In any war, there will always be people on both sides who don't necessarily
have much against people on the other side who have not gone out of their
way to take action against them. There are those RPers - even on non-RP
servers - who are more inclined to /bow than /rude.

Just because the world's at war doesn't mean every single person has to be,
so yar.

-[Blayde]-
Only a fool hates an entire race for actions taken by only part of that
race, however large.
June 8, 2005 7:20:09 PM

On 2005-06-08, mindseye <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> "phlip" <phil*nospam*mcr@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Just because the world's at war doesn't mean every single person has to be,
> so yar.

Yar yourself. Neither side can communicate with each other
because Horde don't speak Common. At least not the players in
WoW.

It's like buying a Storm Trooper action set to play with your
Barbie set. Seriously :)

This is WARCRAFT not LOVEYDOVEY TAURENS
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:19:08 AM

shadows ytrede sig i <slrndae5uq.1hre.shadows@helena.whitefang.com> med
dette:

>On 2005-06-08, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Last night I got four packages from a friend on the Alliance. We're
>> having a cross-faction RP picnic this Saturday and she was sending me
>> food and fireworks to hand out to the Horde attendees.
>
>Is this some kind of joke? How do you get up in the morning and
>stand to look at yourself in the mirror?
>
>CROSS FACTION PICNIC? I mean you can't even RP properly. You've
>turned WoW into some family cartoon.

There are actually a truce between Horde and Alliance, it's a very
unstable truce, but never the less it's there.

That's why we don't see Thrall raid Stormwind every day :-)
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:19:08 +0200, ASKF <nospam@askf.dk> wrote:

>shadows ytrede sig i <slrndae5uq.1hre.shadows@helena.whitefang.com> med
>dette:
>
>>On 2005-06-08, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Last night I got four packages from a friend on the Alliance. We're
>>> having a cross-faction RP picnic this Saturday and she was sending me
>>> food and fireworks to hand out to the Horde attendees.
>>
>>Is this some kind of joke? How do you get up in the morning and
>>stand to look at yourself in the mirror?
>>
>>CROSS FACTION PICNIC? I mean you can't even RP properly. You've
>>turned WoW into some family cartoon.
>
>There are actually a truce between Horde and Alliance, it's a very
>unstable truce, but never the less it's there.
>
>That's why we don't see Thrall raid Stormwind every day :-)

Well if it was like most realms Thrall would get thrashed due to an
6:1 ratio from a NE rogue zerg :p

--
Gamertag: unclechibi
http://unclechibi.blogspot.com

shadows wrote:
> CROSS FACTION PICNIC? I mean you can't even RP properly. You've
> turned WoW into some family cartoon.

It may be a fairly Marxist 20th century viewpoint, but it's
pretty easy to see how wars could be described as an exercise
in which hateful upper class generals and politicians goad
working class soldiers into butchering each other. I find
myself reminded of a verse from an old song by Tom Paxton:

"Now there's a rumor in the camp about our enemy,
They say that when you see him he looks just like you and me,
But you deny it, sergeant, and you are a man of war,
So you must give me lessons for I've never killed before."

Given the way their story line is written I find it difficult
to see how even the undead's own allies can feel good about
teaming up with them (destruction of all living things being
a goal that doesn't necessarily spare trolls, orcs, or taurens),
and I can see why nobody can ever have peace with the undead,
but I can see plenty of reasons why plain old low level rank
and file trolls and taurens might get along with similarly
open-minded humans or dwarves. Dwarves brew alcohol, baby.
THAT is a goal that all races can get enthusiastic about.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:07:35 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> scribed
into the ether:

>On 2005-06-08, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Last night I got four packages from a friend on the Alliance. We're
>> having a cross-faction RP picnic this Saturday and she was sending me
>> food and fireworks to hand out to the Horde attendees.
>
>Is this some kind of joke? How do you get up in the morning and
>stand to look at yourself in the mirror?
>
>CROSS FACTION PICNIC? I mean you can't even RP properly. You've
>turned WoW into some family cartoon.

Perhaps you missed the part where the Horde and the Alliance are not at war
with each other, irrespective of what moronic hotheads with nothing but
slaughter on their minds would have you believe.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:41:39 AM

Christian Stauffer a écrit :
> <trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > P.P.S. Having an imaginative background story does not make it
> > roleplaying if it diverges completely from the world story.
>

> I guess that's what people mean when they say that RP servers
> aren't as good as it seems, because half of the time someone
> will be explaining how to RP instead of actually RPing himself.
>
> Chris

Indeed, it's sad. Some people have never read Shakespeare and pretend
to know about RP.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:55:22 AM

What I mean is, as someone earlier in the thread quipped suggesting
they breakout the Star Wars Stormtrooper doll to play with Barbie, the
worlds don't mix.

To Role Play in the world of Azeroth it would be contingent to actually
involve the world of Azeroth. The physical world and it's attached
history. To stay within character. And that the characters provided
are Azerothian, or Orcs, who are alien to the world. They are not
transported MIT students.

Reminds me a little of the time, in one of the Star Trek movies,
there's a new peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.
Capt Kirk and some Klingon captain are enjoying a play. It is a play
by Shakespeare, Hamlet I think. Both captains enjoy it. Afterwards
the Klingon says "It's much better in the original Klingon."

This joke is not out of character. It is wholly within character and
within the story. Because Shakespeare actually did exist in the
universe in which Star Trek takes place. And maybe in the future
they've rewritten some of their own history much like the Soviets did.

Does Shakespeare exist in the universe in which Azeroth exists? If so,
then transported MIT students are possible. However I have seen zero
indication that it does. From the original Warcraft through World of
Warcraft.

And now we find ourselves in an Azeroth that is at war, or at the very
least where the tensions are deadly. With the introduction of the
Warsong Gulch battleground things are heating up. (I was in Silverwing
Outpost the other night and a troop of NPC orcs had taken out the NPC
elvish defenders. I wasn't in Battlegrounds. I was in the same game
I've been playing for months. I stepped into the aftermath of a
skirmish it seems.) Doubt me about this war? Walk the length of
Ashenvale (right, toggle walk) and have your armor and weapons removed
and see what happens to you.

The human beings who are behind the players who want to do a
cross-faction picnic are just human beings using the WoW interface as a
chat room. Hey, that's great. They're sure to enjoy it as much as I
enjoy the game. Just don't call this Role Playing. This is using the
game as a fancy chat room with Avatars ala Stephenson's "Snow Crash".
Using in-game runners to subvert the divisions between us. Blizzard
prevents cross-faction chat for a reason. How will they communicate at
this picnic? L33t speak? Oh, yeah, that's really role playing. And
you remember how Blizzard attempted to prevent that too. WHY? Because
it's their story. Not yours.

Let Blizzard create the story. It's their world afterall. Let's play
inside it. If Blizzard wants to do a "Hug an Enemy Day" they could
have introduced that concept by providing Orc orphans in the Stormwind
City orphanage to run around with. But they did not. Or haven't yet.
This is World of WARcraft. Not Detentecraft or Peacecraft. Alliance
are clearly on one side, Horde on the other. If Blizzard wanted us to
be able to communicate across the factions, they'd let us learn foreign
languages. To date they have not. Who knows what the future will
hold. But today, we're at war.

To those who insist that having a picnic with gnomes and dwarves and
orcs and tauren is Role Playing, then consider asking a few things of
the enemy across the table from you. Release of all Alliance prisoners
held by the Horde. That would include those being experimented on in
the Gallows End Tavern and being executed in barbaric displays in the
Undercity. There are a few caged beings in a cave in Stonetalon Peak
but they're goblins, I think, so no big deal. Release all Horde
prisoners held by the Alliance. That would include those held in the
internment camp in Hillsbrad. If you're going to go and enjoy tea and
brie and fireworks with people holding your kind in such torturous
conditions, and you think you're playing a role in this game, or it's
in character, you don't belong in the faction you're in and are doing
it a great dishonor.

Ah ha! Epiphany! You're with the Venture Company! They're
cross-faction and have Company picnics no doubt. Up in the Stonetalon
Peak area and elsewhere. I never ran into them picnicing, but it sure
would makes things easier, no? That would make you members of a 3rd
Faction. You're destroying the planet with your greed. Shame, shame
on you. We all should be able to slay you for it.

I think Role Playing should be playing a role inside the story. I came
to Azeroth to be in it's world. I'm not in the world of Lineage, Guild
Wars, or Everquest. I'm in Azeroth.

Role Playing is not making a new story to suit your needs/wants. Don't
force your version of the world on the rest of us. Might as well just
show up as Bob Smith. Have some tailor make you a Polo Shirt, Keds,
and Levi Jeans. Get an engineer to fabricate an Ipod so you can listen
to tunes. As race pick Human, what else?, as class pick Student, and
as profession pick Floor Manager of Kinko's and Paper Delivery Boy.
Might as well just provide in-game editions of the Wall Street Journal
and one-click Pizza Delivery to the address on your account. (They
tried Chinese take-out this last April. Never took advantage of it.)
Name all your characters after characters in Tolkiens books. Oh, yeah,
that'll really be Role Playing. In my opinion, no, it would not.

I'm on a PVP server and I hate the naming conventions on this kind of
server. At least on the RP server they enforced some standards. I had
to defend my name after they changed it on me and I got it back.
Seemed the concept of an epithet was lost on the one who made the
original call. I appreciated those standards. I really don't care to
see "Yomammaslover" or "Princessboo" running around. C'mon, Blizzard,
meet us halfway here. We agree to your conditions to play in your
world. Honest. We wouldn't be in it if we didn't agree to your rules.

And if I ever caught a group of enemies picnicking in the territory I
defend, I'd call a raid and see it ended. Why, that would be most fun!
So, c'mon! Westfall and the Barrens are beautiful this time of year.
Come on out, spread out the blankets, breakout the Port, lower your
guards, that plate must be so warm in the hot sun, and let what will be
come.

And that is your solution that would allow this within the story.
Cross-faction picnics could only be held by the Venture Co. and as such
you are enemies to all. Play that role, if you can. You aren't
Peaceniks but Plunderers. Hope that brie tastes as good now.

:)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:05:45 AM

I still don't understand your objection. Part of roleplaying is the
ability for participants to choose their own character's backstory and
motives and then expand on the game universe.

So what if most of our factions are at war, there are some of us who
are playing peaceful characters. There's always going to be people
like that - look at the U.S.-Russian Cold War for an example.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:31:19 AM

trawetstrebor@hotmail.com a écrit :

<snip>

> And now we find ourselves in an Azeroth that is at war, or at the very
> least where the tensions are deadly. With the introduction of the
> Warsong Gulch battleground things are heating up. (I was in Silverwing
> Outpost the other night and a troop of NPC orcs had taken out the NPC
> elvish defenders. I wasn't in Battlegrounds. I was in the same game
> I've been playing for months. I stepped into the aftermath of a
> skirmish it seems.) Doubt me about this war? Walk the length of
> Ashenvale (right, toggle walk) and have your armor and weapons removed
> and see what happens to you.

Yet, there are enemies that we respect, enemies that we despise, there
are banes and there are lovers. Personal feelings are what makes
roleplaying a gratifying experience.

My orc warrior isn't just a grunt, he's employed. He's a mercenary. He
kills for money. Whenever he reaches his contract he will stop killing,
or only to defend himself, no use working for free. He's a lazy person,
and he doesn't give a damn about this war bullshit. Just pay, and leave
him alone. No hard feeling towards the enemy faction either.

My troll holy priest seeks redemption and the victory of Light over
Shadows. She despises enemies who are shadow priests, as well as
paladins who endorse sinful use of the powers of light, and she salutes
enemies who are holy priests, and paladins who behave honourably and
share her purpose. These are no longer enemies, and there are ways to
circumvent the language barrier.

My Hunter personifies the Orcish Hunt. She hunts for challenge, hate,
thrill and survival, not regulation or following of the Great Hunt's
motto like her tauren siblings. She prefers to travel alone in enemy
territory and kill violently her preys, setting up ambushes and traps.
She's young and generally refuses to live in cities. She relies on her
swords more than her bow. Her hunts quests are all given by Thrall
himself - or so do I roleplay.

Three ways to consider a relationship with the Alliance. One will
insert alliance business within a mercenary business plan, one will
seek relative peace between the factions and unite them into fighting
the Shadows. The last one kills out of bloodlust, and out of love for
Thrall.

Does this wipe your whole argument? I think so. There is no total war.
There is just a setting, a stage, in which characters are brought to
make decisions and interact. The way they do this is true role-playing.
Picnic? Why not. Orcs smoke Narguile and drink tea, just have a look at
Sergra's carpet in Crossroads. Trolls enjoy fishing and herbs.
Revantusk is filled with tribal dances and drums. There's life out
there, and there's peace too. Go share drinks with your dwarven enemies
and try to make yourself understood within the game limits, you'd be
surprised how easy it is.

And lastly, please don't try to decide for me how I should be
roleplaying.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:02:44 AM

Well said! A lot better said than my clumsy attempt at a response. So
I'll just pretend that were co-authors for the above post, alright?
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:31:56 AM

I agree with Chris, RP is for extending the boundaries set by the game
world, elevating it to something above a mere computer game, not
realising this is missing a lot of the point, or you're only
roleplaying to the extent of what the back of the box says. There are
rules which limit some RP possibilities (the language as was mentioned)
but such decisions are made by the developers for a reason. I'm no role
player by the way, my imagination (lack of) forbids it. :-)

Baruch, Undead Irish Beer Freak with a passion for a nice hat.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:33:55 PM

>> > P.P.S. Having an imaginative background story does not make it
>> > roleplaying if it diverges completely from the world story.
>>

>> I guess that's what people mean when they say that RP servers
>> aren't as good as it seems, because half of the time someone
>> will be explaining how to RP instead of actually RPing himself.
>>
>> Chris
>
>Indeed, it's sad. Some people have never read Shakespeare and pretend
>to know about RP.

I've never figured this part out. Does a Dwarf, or any other
character, somehow need to speak Old English to RP? Where are the
colleges that teach these guys the language? I have not seen any
professors in IF/SW/Org.
June 10, 2005 12:35:41 PM

> P.P.S. Having an imaginative background story does not make it
> roleplaying if it diverges completely from the world story.

How do you figure? Seems clear to me that it certainly is roleplaying
(though people may well be playing roles that are not to your taste).
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:00:38 PM

<trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote:

> P.P.S. Having an imaginative background story does not make it
> roleplaying if it diverges completely from the world story.

I guess that's what people mean when they say that RP servers
aren't as good as it seems, because half of the time someone
will be explaining how to RP instead of actually RPing himself.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (49) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

>> How will they communicate at this picnic? L33t speak? Oh,
>> yeah, that's really role playing.

>Numbers and special characters (+"*ç%&/ etc) aren't transferred
>to the other faction anymore.

You'll notice I already knew that...

>> And you remember how Blizzard attempted to prevent that too.
>> WHY? Because it's their story. Not yours.

>Oh no, it isn't. Blizzard is not telling anyone how to act in their world.
>They are setting the environment and the background story, but that's
>it. The rest is up to the players.

Oh really? Blizzard worked to prevent the l33tspeak workarounds
players had developed because Blizzard is precisely interested in how
the players interact. Why add coding the prevent numbers and special
characters? Because they care. It is not in their story, at this
time, to have cross-faction communication.

Blizzard has expectations that tell people how to act in the world. If
you are on an RP server and pick an inappropriate name, they will
change it on you. They don't ask for your permission. They do it.
Why? It's their game. It's theirs to preserve so that it remains the
same game, the same experience, for all of us. A player wants to
"extend" the game by naming his characters after Playmate Bunnies of
the Year for 2003 and Blizzard will object. Why? It's their game.
Not the players. Take a look at the agreement you agreed to to play.
What effect is the agreement if you're free to extend it however you
like?

Where would this end? Let's have a player revolt to be allowed to make
this game whatever they chose it to be. How about player created 3d
models? Let everyone design and run their own 'toons in the game
world. If the player's should extend the boundaries, how about letting
them do that? We could have Speed Racer and Roger Rabbit and Darth
Vader playing alongside all those characters provided in the box. How
boring they are! Extend it! Is that what you want to see? "Thrall
has engaged the services of Darth Vader. I am Darth Doofus, Vader's
Padiwan. Let us raid the Wailing Caverns now." Please.

Hey, if you want to play Gilligans, abandoned on the shores of
Auberdine, "Horrors, it was just a three hour tour!", and want to wear
a funny white sailor cap, and make fun of the Captain (Glubber Bump
might fit the role there, if you'd allow it), enjoy yourself. Hey,
that'd be creative. Any Gilligans on any Auberdine shores out there?
But it's not role playing. Not in the world Blizzard has created.
(And, aye, Blizzard gets to have it's fun. Glubber Bump?? But you try
it, particularly on an RP server, and they'll stop you. At least when
it comes to names.)

Role Playing is taking a role. Much like becoming part of a play. To
ignore the play is to not have a role in it. You can't be reading off
your own pages. Then you're just people making sounds up on stage. It
might be amusing, it might not, but it's not the play on the marquee.

Webster's defines a Role as a character assigned or assumed; a socially
expected behavior pattern usually determined by an individual's status
in a particular society; and a part played by an actor or singer.

A character assigned (not really our case) or assumed (that'd be ours
within limits) and having a socially EXPECTED behaviour pattern in a
PARTICULAR society.

In our particular society we are expected to be at war. To do
otherwise is not play a role in our society. Enjoy the picnic.

Allow me to play an indignate faction member objecting to what he
percieves as faction-traitors planning a picnic with the enemy.
June 10, 2005 3:23:12 PM

On 2005-06-10, Lehi <right@behin.edu> wrote:

> I've never figured this part out. Does a Dwarf, or any other
> character, somehow need to speak Old English to RP? Where are the
> colleges that teach these guys the language? I have not seen any
> professors in IF/SW/Org.

The dwarfs in WoW seem to be modelled after Scottish highlanders.
June 10, 2005 3:24:27 PM

On 2005-06-10, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
> I still don't understand your objection. Part of roleplaying is the
> ability for participants to choose their own character's backstory and
> motives and then expand on the game universe.
>
> So what if most of our factions are at war, there are some of us who
> are playing peaceful characters. There's always going to be people
> like that - look at the U.S.-Russian Cold War for an example.

How do you communicate with the Tauren? Sign language?

Do what you want but THIS is the reason I avoid RP
servers. You're not adding anything to the world by acting in
complete contradiction to it.
June 10, 2005 3:26:37 PM

On 2005-06-10, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My orc warrior isn't just a grunt, he's employed. He's a mercenary. He
> kills for money. Whenever he reaches his contract he will stop killing,
> or only to defend himself, no use working for free. He's a lazy person,
> and he doesn't give a damn about this war bullshit. Just pay, and leave
> him alone. No hard feeling towards the enemy faction either.

Right. Did you pay any attention to the lore in WoW? Orc society
has an obvious pecking order and is tribal. Why do you people
think you can just make up this stuff?

> My troll holy priest seeks redemption and the victory of Light over
> Shadows. She despises enemies who are shadow priests, as well as
> paladins who endorse sinful use of the powers of light, and she salutes
> enemies who are holy priests, and paladins who behave honourably and
> share her purpose. These are no longer enemies, and there are ways to
> circumvent the language barrier.

Trolls are cruel and sadistic. Look around.

[snip other gibberish]
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:16:13 PM

<trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The human beings who are behind the players who want to do a
> cross-faction picnic are just human beings using the WoW interface as a
> chat room. Hey, that's great. They're sure to enjoy it as much as I
> enjoy the game. Just don't call this Role Playing.

The world is at war. Agreed. But that's the current situation. How about
some folks who want to end it? In the near future? You're always talking
about how the world is, and that people have to fit in so they can call
it RP, but you forget one thing: Blizzard can tell you about Azeroths
history, and they can tell you what it currently looks like, but it's
our job to form the future.

> Blizzard prevents cross-faction chat for a reason.

I guess the reason is that people like me would happen to use words
which would offend a lot of people in PvP encounters if they didn't.

> How will they communicate at
> this picnic? L33t speak? Oh, yeah, that's really role playing.

Numbers and special characters (+"*ç%&/ etc) aren't transferred to the
other faction anymore.

> And
> you remember how Blizzard attempted to prevent that too. WHY? Because
> it's their story. Not yours.

Oh no, it isn't. Blizzard is not telling anyone how to act in their
world. They are setting the environment and the background story, but
that's it. The rest is up to the players.
After all, I'm happy that blizzard does nothing against corpse campers
or gankers. They say it's up to the community to settle this stuff. And
boy it is. If I couldn't decide how to act, it would be boring. If
everyone was nice to me, and noone ganked me, it would be boring. If
there weren't naked folks dancing around in Orgrimmar (which I find a
bit childish), it wouldn't feel real.

> Let Blizzard create the story. It's their world afterall.

And we're the inhabitants.

> Let's play
> inside it. If Blizzard wants to do a "Hug an Enemy Day" they could

Don't want to disrupt you whithin a sentence, but I hug whoever and
whenever I want. I hugged Veridan, I hugged Archaedas, I hugged
Mograine and I will continue to hug Bierbuik dwarfs whener our ways
cross.

> have introduced that concept by providing Orc orphans in the Stormwind
> City orphanage to run around with. But they did not. Or haven't yet.
> This is World of WARcraft. Not Detentecraft or Peacecraft. Alliance
> are clearly on one side, Horde on the other. If Blizzard wanted us to
> be able to communicate across the factions, they'd let us learn foreign
> languages. To date they have not. Who knows what the future will
> hold. But today, we're at war.

No offense, but you have no imagination and are telling people how to
roleplay. That's a bit sarcastic.

> To those who insist that having a picnic with gnomes and dwarves and
> orcs and tauren is Role Playing, then consider asking a few things of
> the enemy across the table from you. Release of all Alliance prisoners
> held by the Horde. That would include those being experimented on in
> the Gallows End Tavern and being executed in barbaric displays in the
> Undercity. There are a few caged beings in a cave in Stonetalon Peak
> but they're goblins, I think, so no big deal. Release all Horde
> prisoners held by the Alliance.

What if those people picnicing aren't in charge?

> I think Role Playing should be playing a role inside the story. I came
> to Azeroth to be in it's world. I'm not in the world of Lineage, Guild
> Wars, or Everquest. I'm in Azeroth.

You are in a cage.

> Role Playing is not making a new story to suit your needs/wants. Don't
> force your version of the world on the rest of us.

> And if I ever caught a group of enemies picnicking in the territory I
> defend, I'd call a raid and see it ended.

Ow, how mature.
I remember someone saying "Don't force your version of the world on the
rest of us". You should at least act the way you talk.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (49) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:38:36 PM

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Well said! A lot better said than my clumsy attempt at a response. So
> I'll just pretend that were co-authors for the above post, alright?

You've been inspiring me since I've started playing this game, Cyde, so
let's say it would be an honour ;)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:43:39 PM

Lehi wrote:

>>>I guess that's what people mean when they say that RP servers
>>>aren't as good as it seems, because half of the time someone
>>>will be explaining how to RP instead of actually RPing himself.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>
>>Indeed, it's sad. Some people have never read Shakespeare and pretend
>>to know about RP.
>

> I've never figured this part out. Does a Dwarf, or any other
> character, somehow need to speak Old English to RP? Where are the
> colleges that teach these guys the language? I have not seen any
> professors in IF/SW/Org.

Hehehe

Thou needethst naught ye olde english thingie gesprechen or something
like that ;)
June 11, 2005 12:45:06 AM

Babe Bridou wrote:

> [...]
> seek relative peace between the factions and unite them into fighting
> the Shadows. The last one kills out of bloodlust, and out of love for
> Thrall.
>
> Does this wipe your whole argument? I think so. There is no total war.
> There is just a setting, a stage, in which characters are brought to
> make decisions and interact. The way they do this is true role-playing.
> Picnic? Why not. Orcs smoke Narguile and drink tea, just have a look at
> Sergra's carpet in Crossroads. Trolls enjoy fishing and herbs.
> Revantusk is filled with tribal dances and drums. There's life out
> there, and there's peace too. Go share drinks with your dwarven enemies
> and try to make yourself understood within the game limits, you'd be
> surprised how easy it is.
>
> And lastly, please don't try to decide for me how I should be

Hooray! Bravo!
June 11, 2005 12:48:10 AM

Lehi wrote:

>>>I guess that's what people mean when they say that RP servers
>>>aren't as good as it seems, because half of the time someone
>>>will be explaining how to RP instead of actually RPing himself.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>
>>Indeed, it's sad. Some people have never read Shakespeare and pretend
>>to know about RP.
>

> I've never figured this part out. Does a Dwarf, or any other
> character, somehow need to speak Old English to RP?

Goodness, I hope not! If so, then no one is RPing! And if we ever found
some dwarf who did speak Old English then perhaps he should be ceosan as
cyninge.
June 11, 2005 12:49:34 AM

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-06-10, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>>I still don't understand your objection. Part of roleplaying is the
>>ability for participants to choose their own character's backstory and
>>motives and then expand on the game universe.
>>
>>So what if most of our factions are at war, there are some of us who
>>are playing peaceful characters. There's always going to be people
>>like that - look at the U.S.-Russian Cold War for an example.
>

> How do you communicate with the Tauren? Sign language?
>
> Do what you want but THIS is the reason I avoid RP
> servers. You're not adding anything to the world by acting in
> complete contradiction to it.

Opinions vary.
June 11, 2005 12:51:33 AM

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-06-10, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>My orc warrior isn't just a grunt, he's employed. He's a mercenary. He
>>kills for money. Whenever he reaches his contract he will stop killing,
>>or only to defend himself, no use working for free. He's a lazy person,
>>and he doesn't give a damn about this war bullshit. Just pay, and leave
>>him alone. No hard feeling towards the enemy faction either.
>

> Right. Did you pay any attention to the lore in WoW? Orc society
> has an obvious pecking order and is tribal. Why do you people
> think you can just make up this stuff?

Because we can?

>>My troll holy priest seeks redemption and the victory of Light over
>>Shadows. She despises enemies who are shadow priests, as well as
>>paladins who endorse sinful use of the powers of light, and she salutes
>>enemies who are holy priests, and paladins who behave honourably and
>>share her purpose. These are no longer enemies, and there are ways to
>>circumvent the language barrier.
>

> Trolls are cruel and sadistic. Look around.

Looking around, I see trolls that vary as much as other sorts of people
vary. Some of them even hold dogmatic opinions about what other species
have to be like. How about that?
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:49:28 AM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:24:27 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> scribed
into the ether:

>On 2005-06-10, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>> I still don't understand your objection. Part of roleplaying is the
>> ability for participants to choose their own character's backstory and
>> motives and then expand on the game universe.
>>
>> So what if most of our factions are at war, there are some of us who
>> are playing peaceful characters. There's always going to be people
>> like that - look at the U.S.-Russian Cold War for an example.
>
>How do you communicate with the Tauren? Sign language?
>
>Do what you want but THIS is the reason I avoid RP
>servers. You're not adding anything to the world by acting in
>complete contradiction to it.

You have no authority to decide what is and is not a contradiction to it.

I've spoken with Thrall (you know, the Warchief of the Horde?) and his
close advisors on several occasions, many of which had to do with
maintaining good relations with the Alliance. On the Warchief's
instructions, I rescued a princess of Ironforge to return to her father
after she had been kidnapped. I don't do it for gratitude from small minded
alliance murderers, but because my Warchief told me to.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:11:03 AM

trawetstrebor@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>How will they communicate at this picnic? L33t speak? Oh,
>>>yeah, that's really role playing.
>

>>Numbers and special characters (+"*ç%&/ etc) aren't transferred
>>to the other faction anymore.
>

> You'll notice I already knew that...
>

>>>And you remember how Blizzard attempted to prevent that too.
>>>WHY? Because it's their story. Not yours.
>

>>Oh no, it isn't. Blizzard is not telling anyone how to act in their world.
>>They are setting the environment and the background story, but that's
>>it. The rest is up to the players.
>

> Oh really? Blizzard worked to prevent the l33tspeak workarounds
> players had developed because Blizzard is precisely interested in how
> the players interact. Why add coding the prevent numbers and special
> characters? Because they care. It is not in their story, at this
> time, to have cross-faction communication.

Preventing communication is more a way to abort honour farming than
anything at the moment. There will be a time when they figure out a
convenient yet balanced way to learn languages and join Cenarion Circle,
Steamwheedle or Argent Dawn together with characters from the opposite
faction.

> Blizzard has expectations that tell people how to act in the world. If
> you are on an RP server and pick an inappropriate name, they will
> change it on you. They don't ask for your permission. They do it.
> Why? It's their game. It's theirs to preserve so that it remains the
> same game, the same experience, for all of us. A player wants to
> "extend" the game by naming his characters after Playmate Bunnies of
> the Year for 2003 and Blizzard will object. Why? It's their game.
> Not the players. Take a look at the agreement you agreed to to play.
> What effect is the agreement if you're free to extend it however you
> like?

Blizzard makes a general set of rules to allow the vast majority of
players to have fun in their game world. These rules include chat,
emotes, and relative freedom of speech, both in and out of character.

Now there's no rule specifying that a gnome warlock should be a good
person, or that a human rogue should be some kind of robin hood. Much
like there's absolutely no guideline stating that troll priests should
be shadow priests.

It's up to the player to define a role for his character in the WoW.
From an RP point of view, telling in-character jokes or one-liner in
the middle of a fight is good. It's fun, it enforces immersion, and it
gives more depths to the fighter who is therefore more than just a bunch
of numbers. But fighting isn't at all the only incentive in this game.
You can make fireworks, and you can even play with a ball. Heck, you can
even dance, and you get stat bonus when chilling around a cozy fire.
Characters can enjoy moments of peace, and players can enjoy them as
well while in-character. The idea of a crossfaction meeting is really
not something that's out of the wow context.

> Role Playing is taking a role. Much like becoming part of a play. To
> ignore the play is to not have a role in it. You can't be reading off
> your own pages. Then you're just people making sounds up on stage. It
> might be amusing, it might not, but it's not the play on the marquee.
>
> Webster's defines a Role as a character assigned or assumed; a socially
> expected behavior pattern usually determined by an individual's status
> in a particular society; and a part played by an actor or singer.
>
> A character assigned (not really our case) or assumed (that'd be ours
> within limits) and having a socially EXPECTED behaviour pattern in a
> PARTICULAR society.
>
> In our particular society we are expected to be at war. To do
> otherwise is not play a role in our society. Enjoy the picnic.

You're losing it. As I wrote in a previous post you haven't read
Shakespeare, nor even heard about Romeo and Juliet. The context is
simple: there's a city (a world) with two rival families (factions) that
are at war. The two protagonists, Romeo and Juliet, are both members of
a different faction. Yet they fall in love with each other, and struggle
to meet and enjoy intimacy on a balcony (picnic). It's this struggle
against a society that ruins their relationship and their life, that is
the core of the two roles they play on stage. It's quite the opposite of
your definition of role playing.

> Allow me to play an indignate faction member objecting to what he
> percieves as faction-traitors planning a picnic with the enemy.

Anytime.

Just don't, as a player, decide for me the way I, or Cyde, should roleplay.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:00:23 PM

<trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Let Blizzard create the story. It's their world afterall. Let's play
> inside it. If Blizzard wants to do a "Hug an Enemy Day" they could
> have introduced that concept by providing Orc orphans in the Stormwind
> City orphanage to run around with. But they did not. Or haven't yet.
> This is World of WARcraft. Not Detentecraft or Peacecraft. Alliance
> are clearly on one side, Horde on the other. If Blizzard wanted us to
> be able to communicate across the factions, they'd let us learn foreign
> languages. To date they have not. Who knows what the future will
> hold. But today, we're at war.

No, no, no. You're saying it wrong. This is world of WarCRAFT.

It's a crafting game.

As such, you are the one playing wrong. Do nothing but tradeskills from now
on or I'll tell Blizzard you're not playing right!

(Shamelessly stolen joke, although I suspect the point will be lost on this
person.)

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:22:23 PM

Hardly.

But I'm arguing with a group amongst which one chose the name Cyde
Weys? Thanks. My belief is really suspended in the game environment
now. A glass of wine anyone?

Davian wrote:
> <trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

> > Let Blizzard create the story. It's their world afterall. Let's play
> > inside it. If Blizzard wants to do a "Hug an Enemy Day" they could
> > have introduced that concept by providing Orc orphans in the Stormwind
> > City orphanage to run around with. But they did not. Or haven't yet.
> > This is World of WARcraft. Not Detentecraft or Peacecraft. Alliance
> > are clearly on one side, Horde on the other. If Blizzard wanted us to
> > be able to communicate across the factions, they'd let us learn foreign
> > languages. To date they have not. Who knows what the future will
> > hold. But today, we're at war.
> >

> No, no, no. You're saying it wrong. This is world of WarCRAFT.
>
> It's a crafting game.
>
> As such, you are the one playing wrong. Do nothing but tradeskills from now
> on or I'll tell Blizzard you're not playing right!
>

> (Shamelessly stolen joke, although I suspect the point will be lost on this
> person.)
>
> --
> Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)
>
> "We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
> minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
> in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
> quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
> asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
> even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:19:29 AM

Doesn't it though. That lack of creativity? Yeah, I'll agree with
you. Cheers.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:24:34 AM

As for you, you steal someone's joke (joke? ha ha! outrageously funny!
not.), think the point would be lost on me, though you wander blindly
in your own lala land, and then not only having stolen someones joke
you use a tagline from someone's letter to Nintendo
(http://www.asofterworld.com/oq47.htm) which you only partially quote.
You take 6 lines of his, and not all of it? WOW. You are Mr.
Originality! Can I Role Play with you? I'll be, let's see, something
original, and in-character, lessee, ah ha! Sydhe Wais. :)  See you
on-line.
June 13, 2005 7:23:45 AM

trawetstrebor@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hardly.
>
> But I'm arguing with a group amongst which one chose the name Cyde
> Weys? Thanks. My belief is really suspended in the game environment
> now. A glass of wine anyone?

Sounds like a personal problem to me.
June 13, 2005 8:25:06 AM

trawetstrebor@hotmail.com wrote:
> Doesn't it though. That lack of creativity? Yeah, I'll agree with
> you. Cheers.

You're a regular laff riot.

:-)
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:20:28 PM

<trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Blizzard has expectations that tell people how to act in the world. If
> you are on an RP server and pick an inappropriate name, they will
> change it on you. They don't ask for your permission. They do it.
> Why? It's their game. It's theirs to preserve so that it remains the
> same game, the same experience, for all of us. A player wants to
> "extend" the game by naming his characters after Playmate Bunnies of
> the Year for 2003 and Blizzard will object.

Thanks for seconding what I wrote. I said they give the background story
and the environment, and you talk about character names. I don't disagree
at all to what you've written above. I have to create a character that
fits in the world, otherwise it would weaken the consistency of the
world. But it's up to me what my character does. If I choose to sit a
whole day at Orgrimmars main gate and smile at everyone who crosses my
way begging for 1s, I can.

> Why? It's their game.
> Not the players. Take a look at the agreement you agreed to to play.

Where has been written that I can't act the way I want, except some
special cases like cheating or ripping up other players?

> What effect is the agreement if you're free to extend it however you
> like?

Why do you think some people on both alliance and horde side who want
to end the war won't fit in the game world?

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

On 2005-06-10, Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

> I've spoken with Thrall (you know, the Warchief of the Horde?) and his
> close advisors on several occasions, many of which had to do with
> maintaining good relations with the Alliance. On the Warchief's
> instructions, I rescued a princess of Ironforge to return to her father
> after she had been kidnapped. I don't do it for gratitude from small minded
> alliance murderers, but because my Warchief told me to.

You people need to be on meds. They just added
BATTLEGROUNDS. Hello? It's WAR.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:56:22 PM

> As for you, you steal someone's joke (joke? ha ha! outrageously funny!
> not.), think the point would be lost on me, though you wander blindly
> in your own lala land, and then not only having stolen someones joke
> you use a tagline from someone's letter to Nintendo
> (http://www.asofterworld.com/oq47.htm) which you only partially quote.
> You take 6 lines of his, and not all of it? WOW. You are Mr.
> Originality! Can I Role Play with you? I'll be, let's see, something
> original, and in-character, lessee, ah ha! Sydhe Wais. :)  See you
> on-line.

*ahem* Dipshit. Yes, you.

The quote in my signature was properly attributed to the person who wrote it.

Perhaps you should learn what that means before you make an ass of yourself
again. I can point you to a good dictionary if it's too hard for you to find
one yourself.

And as your responses show, I was correct. My point was completely wasted on
you.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:21:18 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:00:05 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> scribed
into the ether:

>On 2005-06-10, Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>
>> I've spoken with Thrall (you know, the Warchief of the Horde?) and his
>> close advisors on several occasions, many of which had to do with
>> maintaining good relations with the Alliance. On the Warchief's
>> instructions, I rescued a princess of Ironforge to return to her father
>> after she had been kidnapped. I don't do it for gratitude from small minded
>> alliance murderers, but because my Warchief told me to.
>
>You people need to be on meds. They just added
>BATTLEGROUNDS. Hello? It's WAR.

The leader of my people disagrees with you. I'll side with him over you.

Game has been out for 8 months now, and I've never so much as inflicted a
single point of damage on any member of the alliance, nor have they
inflicted so much as a single point of damage on me, in all that
time....despite running into each other all the time. Quite a war.
June 14, 2005 3:52:28 AM

Davian wrote:
> <trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>As for you, you steal someone's joke (joke? ha ha! outrageously funny!
>>not.), think the point would be lost on me, though you wander blindly
>>in your own lala land, and then not only having stolen someones joke
>>you use a tagline from someone's letter to Nintendo
>>(http://www.asofterworld.com/oq47.htm) which you only partially quote.
>>You take 6 lines of his, and not all of it? WOW. You are Mr.
>>Originality! Can I Role Play with you? I'll be, let's see, something
>>original, and in-character, lessee, ah ha! Sydhe Wais. :)  See you
>>on-line.
>>

> *ahem* Dipshit. Yes, you.
>
> The quote in my signature was properly attributed to the person who wrote it.
>
> Perhaps you should learn what that means before you make an ass of yourself
> again. I can point you to a good dictionary if it's too hard for you to find
> one yourself.
>
> And as your responses show, I was correct. My point was completely wasted on
> you.

Aw c'mon. He's funny. A regular barrel of laffs. My favorite is the one
about how people lack creativity because they make up too much stuff
themselves.

rofl
June 14, 2005 2:25:17 PM

On 2005-06-13, Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:00:05 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> scribed
> into the ether:
>

>>You people need to be on meds. They just added
>>BATTLEGROUNDS. Hello? It's WAR.
>
> The leader of my people disagrees with you. I'll side with him over you.
>
> Game has been out for 8 months now, and I've never so much as inflicted a
> single point of damage on any member of the alliance, nor have they
> inflicted so much as a single point of damage on me, in all that
> time....despite running into each other all the time. Quite a war.

How much brain damage does it take for normal people to turn into
psychotic kiddies who think some cartoon character is their
leader?
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:56:38 PM

On 2005-06-10 18:26:37 +0200, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> said:

> Right. Did you pay any attention to the lore in WoW? Orc society
> has an obvious pecking order and is tribal. Why do you people
> think you can just make up this stuff?

With Thrall himself being the perfect example of an exception. Being
separated from the Frostwolve Clan when his parents were killed by the
Shadow Council he wasn't in a tribe for a major part of his live. I
agree he intended to retrieve the tribe he was born in and taken away
from, but in the end it leaves the space for a 'Mercenary Type' of Orc
that is separated from his clan since birth. The Shadow Council is
still alive and kicking as proven by the Thrall questline. In the game
this can be fortified by leaving the character unguilded during its
entire carreer.

>> My troll holy priest seeks redemption and the victory of Light over
>> Shadows. She despises enemies who are shadow priests, as well as
>> paladins who endorse sinful use of the powers of light, and she salutes
>> enemies who are holy priests, and paladins who behave honourably and
>> share her purpose. These are no longer enemies, and there are ways to
>> circumvent the language barrier.
>
> Trolls are cruel and sadistic. Look around.
> [snip other gibberish]

Lore-wise I must agree Trolls are a cruel and sadistic race. It's even
the opening statement of the Class description on the official site. On
the other hand, the concept of loyalty is as important to them, else
they would never have agreed to part of the "New Horde". One thing that
is also described is there aversy against the Forsaken. So the Light >
Shadow story of Babe can make perfect sense in the society of the
trolls imo.

I love the WoW lore, and I love how there are references to it all over
the world in this game. On the other hand Blizzard has always been
careful to leave all sorts of possiblity open in the story. Perfect
example: WCI en WCII both are about the eternal war of Orcs vs Humans,
and in WCIII you suddenly have a truce.

Ingame as well, there are countless NPCs to show that not everyone
lives under martial law. There are countless quest hubs where Alliances
characters stick together with Horde characters, with a total lack of
interest for the ongoing (war/truce) but rather focused on their own
problems.

Just my $.02
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 53 - Bloodscalp EU

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-06-13, Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:00:05 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> scribed
>>into the ether:
>>

>>>You people need to be on meds. They just added
>>>BATTLEGROUNDS. Hello? It's WAR.
>>
>>The leader of my people disagrees with you. I'll side with him over you.
>>
>>Game has been out for 8 months now, and I've never so much as inflicted a
>>single point of damage on any member of the alliance, nor have they
>>inflicted so much as a single point of damage on me, in all that
>>time....despite running into each other all the time. Quite a war.
>

> How much brain damage does it take for normal people to turn into
> psychotic kiddies who think some cartoon character is their
> leader?

How much brain damage does it take to erase the concept of play-acting?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:12:18 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:56:38 +0200, Jack D <jack_221NOSP@Mhotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ingame as well, there are countless NPCs to show that not everyone
>lives under martial law. There are countless quest hubs where Alliances
>characters stick together with Horde characters, with a total lack of
>interest for the ongoing (war/truce) but rather focused on their own
>problems.

Text from a quest (Hunting in Stranglethorn) given by a Tauren in
Shadowprey Villeage, Desolace:
**
Long ago, a dwarf came to this land. His name was Hemet and he wished
to hunt great beasts. His skills with the rifle were uncanny, and we
spent many days hunting together. Even the enmity between our peoples
was forgotten.

When he left Desolace for Stranglethorn, I vowed to one day welcome
him back so that we may hunt again. Now is that time.

Take this kodo horn to Hemet. He will know it is from me. You will
find him in Stranglethorn, north of the Grom'gol Base camp.
**

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:25:17 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> scribed
into the ether:

>On 2005-06-13, Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:00:05 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> scribed
>> into the ether:
>>

>>>You people need to be on meds. They just added
>>>BATTLEGROUNDS. Hello? It's WAR.
>>
>> The leader of my people disagrees with you. I'll side with him over you.
>>
>> Game has been out for 8 months now, and I've never so much as inflicted a
>> single point of damage on any member of the alliance, nor have they
>> inflicted so much as a single point of damage on me, in all that
>> time....despite running into each other all the time. Quite a war.
>
>How much brain damage does it take for normal people to turn into
>psychotic kiddies who think some cartoon character is their
>leader?

How much brain damage does it take to believe that you are at war with
cartoon characters?

You might want to look up the meaning of roleplaying sometime, you:

A) Might just learn something.
and
B) Won't look so desperately stupid.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:55:21 AM

When your point is faulty, imo, then, indeed, it was lost on me.

When I point out that not one bit of your writing in that last message
was original, you shamelessly steal, your words, someone's joke, and
when you have to use someone else's letter as a tagline, I didn't say
you didn't attribute it, I enjoyed Comeau's work which I only found
after googling for the quote, I said you borrowed it but didn't even
quote it in full. In an argument revolving around the issue of
creativity, a little on your part wouldn't hurt. I suppose "Dipshit"
is your original contribution?

But you've masterfully missed all my points, so lets agree to disagree.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:37:52 AM

trawetstrebor@hotmail.com a écrit :
> But you've masterfully missed all my points, so lets agree to disagree.

I'm still looking for an answer to any of the points I've suggested to
argue with you. Seems like you just refuse it and focus on spitting on
someone who just want to bring a little smile on your face.

I'm generally seen as nice person, but maybe you'll understand this
quote:

"
So completely stupid
Just go away
"

The White Stripes - There's no home for you here.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:56:27 AM

The problem was I failed to recognize the fact that you were raising
points.

I raised some and I only got "Uh, uh" in response. Or "Leave us alone"
or "Dipshit."

Kind of hard to discuss those.

I was basically required by you to retract any opinion I may hold in
favor of nothing better than: Folks who role play can do whatever they
feel like because it's their game to make.

My point was to that to role play, you need to remain within the story
parameters.

For example, if you are writing a story set in Conan the Barbarian's
Hyborian Age, or playing a role in that world, then you can't introduce
Elric of Melnibone. Sure, I'll admit, you can, but in my opinion that
would be showing the least creativity. If there were a Conan's
Hyborian Online, Elric of Melnibone, an incredibly cool character,
would certainly not be welcomed. Kull, and Sonja, or characters along
those lines they being major players and already "taken", would be.

That's my basic point. Stay within the world created. I already
submitted that the Venture Company is one such cross-faction entity out
there. (Or a third faction really, in which races of both factions are
present and working together and being fought against by both Horde and
Alliance.) Surely creative minds could develop another such
cross-faction organization. The United Factions of Azeroth, or some
such group reaching across the current lines of tension and war. Or a
Green Azeroth alliance. I was in the Charred Vale last night, planting
seeds to regrow the forest there. I was a little worried about being
jumped by Alliance though. There are certain things both sides do
appear to share. We all despise the environmental destruction brought
about by the goblins and their minions.

I've argued that these kinds of play would be within the story and
there are parts that could certainly be played in filling those roles.
The races uniting to save the planet! I can really see it.

But a picnic? Sounds like buddies getting together who happen to play
opposing factions on the same server. That's fine. It's not role
playing. Not in my opinion, and I'm entitled to one, and I'm free to
argue it.

Yours, I think, is that to role play you must go outside the story
parameters, as if creativity is only evidenced once the boundaries are
passed and left behind. But creativity without bounds swiftly becomes
nothing more than white noise.

Yeah, the idea of a picnic in the Barrens is amusing to consider. As
is a character named Cyde Weys. I really enjoyed the concept behind
W.I.D.G.E.T.. I'll submit, though, if I may, that only the last one is
role playing within the World of Azeroth. But maybe that's just me.

And so you won't even agree to disagree? More "Go away, stupid?" I
was never there. Haven't you noticed?
!