Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Crash
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2012 11:53:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the parts for my new rig, but am a little lost about the crash I'm getting.

My setup is this:

Gigabyte Z77XUD3H MoBo
Intel I5
2x GTX 670
16 GB RAM

The problem is that as soon as both graphics cards are in the machine I get random crashes while playing games. A crash is typically ocuring after 3-5 minutes of play. The sound and graphics start to lag first, in decreasing time intervals until the system completely freezes. Audio restores at this point and I'm able to continue a skype conversation, but the display usually remains frozen until I do a hard reboot. Sometimes I get lucky and windows can restore the display driver, and I get a little balloon bubble that says "Display Drivers stopped responding and were restarted / recovered". Mostly a reboot is necessary however.

I tried with both cards alone in both slots, and that doesn't cause a crash. If both cards are in and not connected with the SLI connector I don't seem to be getting any crashes either (need some more testing on this, just tested very briefly). But as soon as they're connected with the little bridge cable I start getting crashes (No matter if SLI is enabled or disabled in nvidia control panel).

I'm a little lost what could be causing this. I know the hardware is very new and it might be a driver issue, but I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem when I did my research prior to posting. Is anyone else experiencing something similar, or has an idea what might be wrong?

BTW: I flashed my bios to newest version (F9), nothing changed.

Thanks,
Max

More about : gtx 670 sli crash

May 23, 2012 12:31:29 AM

What power supply are you using?
Score
May 23, 2012 12:33:39 AM

Thanks for your reply

I'm using the Corsair AX750
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 1:17:51 AM

Millianz said:
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the parts for my new rig, but am a little lost about the crash I'm getting.

My setup is this:

Gigabyte Z77XUD3H MoBo
Intel I5
2x GTX 670
16 GB RAM

The problem is that as soon as both graphics cards are in the machine I get random crashes while playing games. A crash is typically ocuring after 3-5 minutes of play. The sound and graphics start to lag first, in decreasing time intervals until the system completely freezes. Audio restores at this point and I'm able to continue a skype conversation, but the display usually remains frozen until I do a hard reboot. Sometimes I get lucky and windows can restore the display driver, and I get a little balloon bubble that says "Display Drivers stopped responding and were restarted / recovered". Mostly a reboot is necessary however.

I tried with both cards alone in both slots, and that doesn't cause a crash. If both cards are in and not connected with the SLI connector I don't seem to be getting any crashes either (need some more testing on this, just tested very briefly). But as soon as they're connected with the little bridge cable I start getting crashes (No matter if SLI is enabled or disabled in nvidia control panel).

I'm a little lost what could be causing this. I know the hardware is very new and it might be a driver issue, but I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem when I did my research prior to posting. Is anyone else experiencing something similar, or has an idea what might be wrong?

BTW: I flashed my bios to newest version (F9), nothing changed.

Thanks,
Max

Download the latest drivers ( 301.42) they were just released today, they claim to fix some SLI issues
a c 241 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 2:11:40 AM

Have you done any troubleshooting ?

GPU / CPU temps ? Pass OCCT GPU / CPU tests ?

Run Memtest86+

Did you uninstall / reinstall drivers after adding SLI bridge ?

New card ..... are there any know SLI issues with the games you having problems with ?

Score
May 23, 2012 3:03:33 AM

Hi again,

I just installed the newest drivers and reseated the SLI bridge to the other connection slots. I still got the crash, it appears much less frequent however. I just got a freeze from a youtube video, windows was able to recover after restarting the driver (took ~2 min)

Idle:
Temperatures on both cards ~30C

Fur Mark 15 Min Burn In Test:
Without SLI I got about 48 FPS on average with the GPU maxing out at ~80C
With SLI I got about 90 FPS on average with the GPUs maxing out at ~96C [BURN-IN SCORE: 7920 points in case someone is interested]

Running OCCT now and will update as soon as that's done. Same for Memtest86+.

Yes I did reinstall drivers multiple times, didn't seem to help.
No issues as far as I know, but I might be wrong. I tried a large variety of games, BF3, CSS, COD, Tribes Ascend. It also crashes with youtube videos / flash, so I doubt it's something application specific.

Thanks for the answer!
Max

Score
May 23, 2012 10:29:51 AM

Are those evga gtx 670 soc edition
?Did you test each card alone.
Score
May 23, 2012 11:15:23 AM

Millianz said:
Hi again,

I just installed the newest drivers and reseated the SLI bridge to the other connection slots. I still got the crash, it appears much less frequent however. I just got a freeze from a youtube video, windows was able to recover after restarting the driver (took ~2 min)

Idle:
Temperatures on both cards ~30C

Fur Mark 15 Min Burn In Test:
Without SLI I got about 48 FPS on average with the GPU maxing out at ~80C
With SLI I got about 90 FPS on average with the GPUs maxing out at ~96C [BURN-IN SCORE: 7920 points in case someone is interested]

Running OCCT now and will update as soon as that's done. Same for Memtest86+.

Yes I did reinstall drivers multiple times, didn't seem to help.
No issues as far as I know, but I might be wrong. I tried a large variety of games, BF3, CSS, COD, Tribes Ascend. It also crashes with youtube videos / flash, so I doubt it's something application specific.

Thanks for the answer!
Max

96C is way too high temperature and is very possible source of the crash. My GTX 670 SLI stay at 70C max.
Score
May 23, 2012 4:27:08 PM

Did you run furmark though? I got a max of 70 in pretty much every game, but furmark apparently rapes my rig.
Score
May 23, 2012 4:28:00 PM

cooldudesubho said:
Are those evga gtx 670 soc edition
?Did you test each card alone.

They are the Gigabyte version, and yes, I did test all possible combinations.
Score
May 24, 2012 3:51:08 AM

So after some extensive testing and gaming I can gladly report that I only encountered one crash (when watching a youtube video), besides that nothing significant. I'm not sure whether the driver update or sli bridge reseating fixed it, but both are worth a shot in case you have a similar problem.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Score
May 24, 2012 3:51:28 AM

Best answer selected by Millianz.
Score
May 24, 2012 11:04:31 AM

Hey i got same problem here, but my setup is completely different, Asus P8Z68 motherboard, 16gb corsair vengence ram, 3770k intel i7, 2 Galaxy Gtx670 SLI, mine is even worth, not only crash, if 2 cards together sometimes cost blue screen of death and unable to boot up system, now i took one card out and everything goes fine, sent mails to nvidia hoping reply quickly :\
Score
May 24, 2012 4:42:31 PM

Did you download the newest drivers? They didn't appear in the automatic "scan your system" tool on the nvidia website for me, I had to manually search for them.

Does it crash as well if the cards aren't connected with the SLI bridge cable?
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 8:33:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!