Logon password protection for Notebook running XP Pro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a new Notebook PC running XP Pro SP2 containing data that I would
like to safeguard should I loose it at the airport, leave it in a hotel room
or in some other way have it lost or stolen. To that end I would, at least,
like to password protect this notebook so that some thief could not simple
press the power button and have instant access to my data.
1. How can I add an XP password to my startup procedure?
2. How can I encrypt especially sensitive data, with XP or with some third
party program?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
1 answer Last reply
More about logon password protection notebook running
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The links at the bottom of this page will give you information about EFS:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
    Be careful how you use any type of encryption.
    Improper use can and will cause permanent loss of data.

    You could use a BIOS password.
    Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.
    Usually a thief can get around this simply by moving the hard drive to
    another computer.

    If security of the data is important, you MUST maintain physical control.
    A person with unrestricted access can get around almost anything.
    This is not a Windows problem, the same is true of all operating systems.

    There is no security without physical security.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
    >I have a new Notebook PC running XP Pro SP2 containing data that I would
    >like to safeguard should I loose it at the airport, leave it in a hotel
    >room or in some other way have it lost or stolen. To that end I would, at
    >least, like to password protect this notebook so that some thief could not
    >simple press the power button and have instant access to my data.
    > 1. How can I add an XP password to my startup procedure?
    > 2. How can I encrypt especially sensitive data, with XP or with some third
    > party program?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peter Sale
    > Santa Monica, CA USA
    > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Configuration Notebooks Microsoft Windows XP