Logon password protection for Notebook running XP Pro

March 30, 2005 4:34:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a new Notebook PC running XP Pro SP2 containing data that I would
like to safeguard should I loose it at the airport, leave it in a hotel room
or in some other way have it lost or stolen. To that end I would, at least,
like to password protect this notebook so that some thief could not simple
press the power button and have instant access to my data.
1. How can I add an XP password to my startup procedure?
2. How can I encrypt especially sensitive data, with XP or with some third
party program?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The links at the bottom of this page will give you information about EFS:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
Be careful how you use any type of encryption.
Improper use can and will cause permanent loss of data.

You could use a BIOS password.
Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.
Usually a thief can get around this simply by moving the hard drive to
another computer.

If security of the data is important, you MUST maintain physical control.
A person with unrestricted access can get around almost anything.
This is not a Windows problem, the same is true of all operating systems.

There is no security without physical security.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

!