I7 2600k advice on powersupply & cooling

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I intend to overclock an I7 2600k what kind of powersupply do you recommend?

Would this be enough?

- CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

If not what do you recommend?

what kind of cooling would I need as well?

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
- ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- DDR 3 16 GB 1866 mhz (Patriot Brand)
- Black Enermax Hoplite SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ECA3220, w/ Side Window and 12cm Blue/Red Combo-LED .
- CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1155
- Seagate 1TB Serial ATA/300 Hard Drive
- Black LG UH12LS29 Internal SATA 12x LightScribe Blu-ray Optical Drive, w/ 3D Playback and M-DISC Support, 16x DVD+R/-R, 4MB Cache. OEM
- GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTX-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
how much do you mean by moderate? Like 4.5 gigahertz? I also intend to OC my Videocard some, which may require more cooling. I am trying to make as much of a beast as I can for that range, with these Cyber Monday sales I managed to do this quite effectively.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012

The only difference is you got a 4gb card instead of a 1gb. Often they use the extra VRam as a rouse to raise the cost of the card when 1GB is more than enough. I have investigated it well. The card I purchased it is enough to run games like Skyrim on max settings.

larkspur

Distinguished

Yes the 4.5ghz range but it depends on your chip. Sorry to not be more specific. The 212+ is a fine cooler. Either it or the CM EVO is great for the money.

You've already purchased most of this right? If it's just a matter of CPU cooler and PSU then you have to decide if you want to add a 2nd 670 later in SLI. If you do, then the 750w you listed will be fine. If you aren't ever going to add a 2nd card then all you need for the system you listed is a quality (Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, and more...) 500w-550w (this is true even if you OC your CPU and GPU).

Oh and there's no such thing as a 1gb 670 - you bought a 2gb 670. On a single screen you're fine.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I have the CPU Videocard and Solid State Drive purchased... the others I am purchasing on site oh I meant 2gb... yeah, it is a fine card, I jsut meant some think that a card is better if it has 4gb versus 1gb it is a myth that is used to sell a card at more even though it is nothing special. I actually learned of this recently.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Prototype I am not saying it is a bad card... I am saying that you are probably just paying more for a card to have more RAM that is most likely not used. My build initinally had a card like yours... everyone said that the one I have now is more than enough and the V processor is what matters most, 4 gig of ram is unnecessary when unless you have like 3 monitors you will never get close to using. I only have 1 24 inch monitor.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012

very true muffin... 16 is kinda overkill, but the RAM is free. yeah it is too fast, but again free :)

prototype18

Distinguished

But its not a point selling the 2Gb to buy 4Gb.

So anything you need ?

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I am not sure what you mean selling a 2gb to bet a 4gb? I was jsut implying the 2gb should be more than enough. I read reviews from owners of the same card here and there that say they can run crysis 2 and Skyrim among other high end graphic games with top settings with great FPS. The only thing I was told that I could get better was a 680 or 690 the 690- is highly overpriced and the 680 everyone says is for people using 3 monitors. Even the 680 does not benchmark much higher than the 670.

As to the RAM I was just saying as long as you have 1 you are fine. 4 might future proof you some, but I am thinking I will just SLI another 670 with the one I have when that is needed.

larkspur

Distinguished
Well guys... Reference graphics cards are generally-speaking designed very well. If you look at a GTX 670, the reference design calls for 2gb of ram. That covers pretty much any single-card single-monitor setup. 1gb will bottleneck powerful graphics cards in modern games at 1080p when you apply maximum settings and some MSAA. But when you go to very high resolutions, a SINGLE GTX 670 2gb can't return a playable frame rate in modern games at triple 1080p monitor resolution at settings that would require more than 2gb.

You see how it's a matter of balancing the amount of vram, memory-bandwidth and GPU power? I suppose there is a gray area in there but my point is that to use a triple-monitor resolution and high enough settings that require more than 2gb on a GTX 670 would require two cards to at least provide playable frames. At that point you'd consider the 4gb cards (Or preferably a 2 x 7970 setup). But for your single monitor 1080p setup, you don't need to worry about your 2gb card. It'll be great.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
popatim thank you for your help. You may be right as in the correct purpose of them. I was trying to explain to prototype I have a nice 24 inch monitor. IT is not one that by any means requires an expensive card or one that has 4 gigs of RAM. I originally was buying one much like his, and others here said that a 2 giger was overkill by itself. If by anymeans I feel I need more power I can get another and SLI it anyways. I do not do multiple screens or over sized screens. I just want my decently sized screen to look pretty. :love:

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Anyhow thank you all for the discussion. I think proto and I both had points on the videocards. I have no doubt his card is awesome, but it is a little more than I need.

Thank you for the help and proto I enjoyed the discussion about the video cards. I think what I was talking about cards with a lot of RAM is sometimes low end cards have a ton of RAM on them to raise the price. That situation is defiantly different on high end cards.