I'm a newbie. Newly built system freezes at random times when playing

ohmang841

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hi guys, i know there are a lot of threads similar to mine on the forums. I tried to follow some of them, but in all honesty I'm really a newbie when it comes to computers, so please bear that in mind. This is my first build, so I figured I would get the most help by listing my personal specs.

Specs:
- Processor - Intel Core i7 3930K Processor 3.2 Ghz 6 Core LGA 2011
- Mobo - ASRock Intel X79 DDR3 1600 LGA 2011 Motherboards X79 EXTREME6/GB
- Memory - Patriot Memory Viper Xtreme Division 4 Series 16 Quad Channel Kit DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) 240-Pin SDRAM
- HDDs - Main (SanDisk Extreme SSD 480GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive), Second one (Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive)
- Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2048 MB GDDR5
- PSU -Seasonic SS-1050XM ATX 1050 Power Supply
- OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

I have the latest drivers for my video card, mobo and the latest BIOS for my mobo (1.40).
So this is the problem that I have been experiencing. The computer runs great, extremely fast, but for some reason, when I play world of warcraft (only game I've tried so far) the computer freezes up at random times. Mouse laser remains on, keyboard remains on, fans keep spinning; the screen completely freezes and I lose all sound. I've gotten the blue screen only twice afterwards.

From what I've read online on similar problems, most people think is the RAM. So i went into the BIOS and changed the RAM to run at the XMP 1.3 profile, which is 1833 mhz at 9-11-9-27 timings i believe (whatever that means :S). But even then, i still experience the same problem.

I apologize in advance if I sound really dumb, but like I said, I'm really a newbie when it comes to this, so I really appreciate any help I can get. I haven't overclocked anything, except i guess for putting the ram to run XMP 1.3. One thing I'm going to try when I get home later today is install the firmware for my ssd, i don't know what that would do but might as well try.

Sorry for the long post. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks. Btw, i don't know if it makes any difference, but i forgot to list that i have attached a sound card as well (sound blaster x-fi titanium hd).

amkronos

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Well this could be a plethora of things. Guess we will start with some basics.

First make turn off all overclocking not just the memory. Any CPU or GPU overclocking set them all back to factory defaults.

Next switch your SSD's SATA port. Please make sure it is using an Intel SATA 3 port, and not the ASmedia one. If it's using the Intel one already, swap it too the other Intel SATA port.

Check with Blizzard for the latest "supported" nvidia drivers. Most likely you downloaded and installed the latest ones, but they may not be supported by Blizzard yet.

ohmang841

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks amkronos, I will try that when I get home later today. One thing that I forgot to mention that is relevant is that the first nvidia driver that i installed was 304.48 which is a beta driver. I then installed the latest WHQL which is 301.42. I didn't remove the 304.48 before installing 301.42 bc I thought the new installation would do it itself (as I'm typing this I can tell this wasn't the best way to do it--told u i was a newb). When i go into control panel it only shows the 301.42 driver. Do I have to remove the beta driver and if so what is the best way to do that since I can't see the beta driver? :S

amkronos

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Use Driversweeper it's free and works like a charm.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

First uninstall the drivers via control panel. Reboot
Then run Driversweeper. Reboot
Then install the correct drivers.