Your question

What Bothers Me...

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature
Last response: in CPUs
November 26, 2012 8:55:08 PM

What Bothers Me...
is that although my cpu temperature readings extremely hot, especially for an AMD Phenom II x6 1055t, (hot is an understatement), nothing "bad" has happened. A BSOD has never occurred since the construction of this system a few years ago and nothing has alarmed me other than the high temperature readings in HW Monitor, Speedfan, Coretemp, and any other software I have used. The core voltages are okay (now below 1.375 on maximum speeds). A voltage like that shouldn't make a cpu run at 70C, right? I don't know. To be honest, I don't know much about computers, partially because I am so young and have much to learn.
Either way, I'm planning to buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ around Christmas time (soon, anyway). It should fit in my Rosewill Challenger case, although being quite a tight fit, according to the dimensions of the case and the 212+ heatsink, as well as assurance from other online posts and threads.

So, what's my question? Well, today my confusion lies within the voltage setting of the CPU.
I have been confused about the voltage setting in my Asus M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard. Above the vcore setting, there is an option whether to use manual or offset voltages. Correct me if I am wrong, but, I understand that a manual voltage is static and will not change within loads, but an offset voltage will add or subtract given voltages from both the idle and full load voltages, having an advantage. What bothers me is the 1.xxx number next to the vcore setting, followed by the offset voltage (currently set to Auto at the moment). Is this 1.xxx number the voltage that is then altered by Load Line Calibration and the offset voltage (meaning it is altered and then the offset voltage is added or subtracted?). Is there an equation to calculate final voltages under a set condition (load percentage, etc.?) Lastly, I'd like to know the best voltage and offset number to set for my CPU (AMD Phenom II x6 1055t) for the stock clock speed (2.8 GHZ) with all cores enabled, with Turbo Core on.

As you can see, I am quite confused, and I hope someone here can solve my issues.

More about : bothers

a c 124 à CPUs
November 26, 2012 9:38:41 PM

Interesting thread - hope my feedback helps here
This part isn't neccesary yet, although it may be annoying, I believe you want the reader's attention brought to your overclocking questions in the second quote box
ph0 said:
What Bothers Me...
is that although my cpu temperature readings extremely hot, especially for an AMD Phenom II x6 1055t, (hot is an understatement), nothing "bad" has happened. A BSOD has never occurred since the construction of this system a few years ago and nothing has alarmed me other than the high temperature readings in HW Monitor, Speedfan, Coretemp, and any other software I have used. The core voltages are okay (now below 1.375 on maximum speeds). A voltage like that shouldn't make a cpu run at 70C, right? I don't know. To be honest, I don't know much about computers, partially because I am so young and have much to learn.
Either way, I'm planning to buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ around Christmas time (soon, anyway). It should fit in my Rosewill Challenger case, although being quite a tight fit, according to the dimensions of the case and the 212+ heatsink, as well as assurance from other online posts and threads.

Below is the good stuff and what you want responded to. Open a new thread in the Overclocking section of the forum with a subject line of "1055t voltage questions" or something that'll draw the attention of someone with knowledge of that CPU.
Later on, once you've gotten their attention, that's when to include your personal peeves, lol
ph0 said:

So, what's my question? Well, today my confusion lies within the voltage setting of the CPU.
I have been confused about the voltage setting in my Asus M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard. Above the vcore setting, there is an option whether to use manual or offset voltages. Correct me if I am wrong, but, I understand that a manual voltage is static and will not change within loads, but an offset voltage will add or subtract given voltages from both the idle and full load voltages, having an advantage. What bothers me is the 1.xxx number next to the vcore setting, followed by the offset voltage (currently set to Auto at the moment). Is this 1.xxx number the voltage that is then altered by Load Line Calibration and the offset voltage (meaning it is altered and then the offset voltage is added or subtracted?). Is there an equation to calculate final voltages under a set condition (load percentage, etc.?) Lastly, I'd like to know the best voltage and offset number to set for my CPU (AMD Phenom II x6 1055t) for the stock clock speed (2.8 GHZ) with all cores enabled, with Turbo Core on.

As you can see, I am quite confused, and I hope someone here can solve my issues.

Just trying to be of some help here
m
l
!