Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon 6870 Crashing to Colored Screen - Needs Hard Reset

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 4:38:54 AM

Hi all--

I recently upgraded to a Visiontek Radeon 6870. The rest of my PC was updated recently as well, and the new video card is the last step. I had no crashing issues with this exact system using my older Radeon 4830. While gaming, the system will occasionally crash to a colored screen with vertical, thin lines running down it. CTR ALT DEL and ALT TAB do nothing, and it requires me to do a hard reset. This has happened so far in both Deus Ex Human Revolution (which I played through ENTIRELY with no issues w/ the old video card) and Torchlight II. Here are the rest of my specs:

Corsair Builder's 650w PSU
Gigabyte GA 970A-UD3 Mobo
Phenom II X4 B55
8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I'm running the latest Catalyst drivers, and am not overclocking anything. Any ideas what I should look at, or is this an issue others have had with this card?
May 23, 2012 4:52:56 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my Powercolor 6950. It happens a few minutes into the game (sometimes up to a half hour or even more) and then freezes, gets that weird screen and starts buzzing.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 5:20:19 AM

Usually Colored Lines means hardware failure, it also if overclock to high and not stable.....

check the temp and power of the card, and try using another pci-ex slot just for testing if it have some resource conflict.......
Score
Related resources
a c 150 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 5:51:21 AM

Sounds like a defective video card.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 6:09:31 AM

Does it look something like this? My brother and I had an issue like this two or three months ago...had an old HD4670 in the system before we upgraded to the 6870. We needed a new Motherboard and PSU so we upgraded those, and the issue soon went away. (We have an XFX Double D HD6870)

However, I do not think you have a defective card. Try reinstalling Windows and see if that helps. Don't quote me on this, but it MIGHT have to do something with drivers...I can't be sure since I can't find any information about this error. But we're using a fresh install of Windows with the same card and it works flawlessly.
May 23, 2012 2:22:48 PM

mocchan said:
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/wakaranai1432/IMG_0673.jpg
Does it look something like this? My brother and I had an issue like this two or three months ago...had an old HD4670 in the system before we upgraded to the 6870. We needed a new Motherboard and PSU so we upgraded those, and the issue soon went away. (We have an XFX Double D HD6870)

However, I do not think you have a defective card. Try reinstalling Windows and see if that helps. Don't quote me on this, but it MIGHT have to do something with drivers...I can't be sure since I can't find any information about this error. But we're using a fresh install of Windows with the same card and it works flawlessly.

That is EXACTLY what is happening. I guess I can try wiping the drivers and re-installing, if that doesn't work I can look at reinstalling Windows.
Score
May 23, 2012 2:22:48 PM

mocchan said:
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/wakaranai1432/IMG_0673.jpg

That is EXACTLY what is happening. I guess I can try wiping the drivers and re-installing, if that doesn't work I can look at reinstalling Windows.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 6:51:43 PM

splendorlex said:

Good luck! Let me know how it goes :) 
Score
May 23, 2012 6:56:02 PM

Best answer selected by splendorlex.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 8:39:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!