Radeon 6870 Crashing to Colored Screen - Needs Hard Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

splendorlex

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Hi all--

I recently upgraded to a Visiontek Radeon 6870. The rest of my PC was updated recently as well, and the new video card is the last step. I had no crashing issues with this exact system using my older Radeon 4830. While gaming, the system will occasionally crash to a colored screen with vertical, thin lines running down it. CTR ALT DEL and ALT TAB do nothing, and it requires me to do a hard reset. This has happened so far in both Deus Ex Human Revolution (which I played through ENTIRELY with no issues w/ the old video card) and Torchlight II. Here are the rest of my specs:

Corsair Builder's 650w PSU
Gigabyte GA 970A-UD3 Mobo
Phenom II X4 B55
8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I'm running the latest Catalyst drivers, and am not overclocking anything. Any ideas what I should look at, or is this an issue others have had with this card?

Solution
IMG_0673.jpg

Does it look something like this? My brother and I had an issue like this two or three months ago...had an old HD4670 in the system before we upgraded to the 6870. We needed a new Motherboard and PSU so we upgraded those, and the issue soon went away. (We have an XFX Double D HD6870)

However, I do not think you have a defective card. Try reinstalling Windows and see if that helps. Don't quote me on this, but it MIGHT have to do something with drivers...I can't be sure since I can't find any information about this error. But we're using a fresh install of Windows with the same card and it works flawlessly.

x13killer

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I'm having a similar problem with my Powercolor 6950. It happens a few minutes into the game (sometimes up to a half hour or even more) and then freezes, gets that weird screen and starts buzzing.

rdc85

Honorable
Usually Colored Lines means hardware failure, it also if overclock to high and not stable.....

check the temp and power of the card, and try using another pci-ex slot just for testing if it have some resource conflict.......

IMG_0673.jpg

Does it look something like this? My brother and I had an issue like this two or three months ago...had an old HD4670 in the system before we upgraded to the 6870. We needed a new Motherboard and PSU so we upgraded those, and the issue soon went away. (We have an XFX Double D HD6870)

However, I do not think you have a defective card. Try reinstalling Windows and see if that helps. Don't quote me on this, but it MIGHT have to do something with drivers...I can't be sure since I can't find any information about this error. But we're using a fresh install of Windows with the same card and it works flawlessly.

Solution

splendorlex

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007

That is EXACTLY what is happening. I guess I can try wiping the drivers and re-installing, if that doesn't work I can look at reinstalling Windows.

splendorlex

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007

That is EXACTLY what is happening. I guess I can try wiping the drivers and re-installing, if that doesn't work I can look at reinstalling Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.