Sign in with
Your question

G530 or i3 for dental office use

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 26, 2012 11:00:32 PM

Hi everyone, I would like to build computers for each operatory (4 total) in order to:

1. Able to run Windows 7 at reasonable speed
2. Play CAESY (patient education videos) through a DVD smoothly
3. Run dental software that could receive X-rays by Wifi
4. Able to use intraoral camera and its software via USB

Specs:
Case/PSU: Black Micro ATX12V Desktp 220W by Apex
Motherboard: ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory x2 (so 8 GB RAM per computer)
Wifi Card: Still looking

Now I am looking for a processor to finish the build so I could at least test the components. I'm on the fence whether to go with the G530 (or any of the Celerons up to G640) or the i3 2100. I tried using the Intel Atom D525MW, which was painfully slow when I tried to use the intraoral camera and its program.

Any help would be appreciated!!

More about : g530 dental office

a c 186 à CPUs
November 26, 2012 11:07:02 PM

Do you know if any of those can support hyperthreading?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2012 1:05:26 AM

Doesn't the "intraoral camera" have hardware recommendations?

There's no telling how demanding that application can be. Is it just a live feed or is there any real time encoding to the hard drive?

Last I checked dentists offices weren't going broke. Why skimp and make your patients wait. I wouldn't go less than an i5 for a work computer.
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 à CPUs
November 27, 2012 1:17:21 AM

You want to borrow my i3 to test with?

LOL - for the $30 difference in price I would say the i3 is a no brainer.

ps - step up to the 2105. Its not only cheaper but has the better graphics integrated
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2012 1:31:40 AM

Im gonna say go with the I3... my dentist office still uses Pentiums and windows XP....
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2012 1:41:23 AM

I recently built new systems for a dental/oral surgeon office and we used I-3 2120's for the receptionist's. I-5 3470's for the operating rooms. I-7 3770's for the dentists and their server.

The I-3/5 systems had 8GB of ram, the I-7's had 16GB.

They wanted systems that would last for 4 - 5 years without needing upgrading. With the hyper-threaded I-3's the software will eventually catch up and use the HT if it doesn't already.

They were extremely happy with the performance of all the systems.
m
l
November 27, 2012 5:18:38 AM

I see. I'm one of the assistants at the office. Their biggest goal is to be able to play patient education videos in every operatory. The CAESY dvd videos are very basic (non-HD), it played smoothly on a very old computer. That got me thinking an HTPC would suffice since they told me to build the computers that would most fit the purpose. The intra-oral camera is live feed, no encoding. What got me was the lag with the programs running the Schick Wifi and the intra-oral camera.

The office isn't digital so it doesn't have any dental management software like eaglesoft, dentrix, etc. Only very basic scheduler program, everything else is paper. That's why I figured their wasn't a need for high end computing.

So now I'm thinking of that i3-2105 as recommended by popatim? In terms of office use and for those purposes mentioned, would an i5 be actually worst since it doesn't have HT (I actually don't know if the softwares support HT, but having it is better than not?)
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2012 7:21:00 PM

The I-3 is a just a dual core with hyper-threading (two physical, two virtual). The I-5 is a real quad core without hyper-threading (four physical cores). The I-7 is basically an I-5 with hyper-threading (four physical cores, four virtual).

As for performance, physical cores are better than virtual hyper-threaded ones.

The place that I set up just started using Dentrix as now all health care providers are regulated by the state (Indiana) to have everything filed electronically. So keep that in mind when doing this.

I would not use anything less than an I-3 for what you are doing. It will be fast and should usable for at least 4 - 5 years.
m
l
!