BF1942 vs BFV online

After just getting broadband been wondering about online play with
BF1942 and\or BFV.

Which one do you think is more fun\supported\admined out there?

ASE says there are over 2000 BF1942 servers to over 1000 BFV. I have
seen some LAN play with each but which one would work best on Internet?

I was leaning to BF42 because of the number of mods out for it might
keep it fresh longer but BFV is newer.

Thoughts?

Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
13 answers Last reply
More about bf1942 online

    Jethro[AGHL] wrote
    >After just getting broadband been wondering about online play with
    >BF1942 and\or BFV.
    >
    >Which one do you think is more fun\supported\admined out there?
    >
    >ASE says there are over 2000 BF1942 servers to over 1000 BFV. I have
    >seen some LAN play with each but which one would work best on Internet?
    >
    >I was leaning to BF42 because of the number of mods out for it might
    >keep it fresh longer but BFV is newer.

    My recommendation would be to hold out for the BF2 demo, it should be
    out very soon. If BF2 turns out to be a hit there will be a lot less
    people playing BF1942 and BFV than there are now. And unfortunately in
    BF1942 there are allegedly lots of cheats being used. At least
    following the release of BF2 we should get around 6 months of clean
    gaming before the cheaters move in.

    --
    [AGB]Villy Vonka
    Sheffield, UK

    Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    > After just getting broadband been wondering about online play with
    > BF1942 and\or BFV.
    >
    > Which one do you think is more fun\supported\admined out there?
    >
    > ASE says there are over 2000 BF1942 servers to over 1000 BFV. I have
    > seen some LAN play with each but which one would work best on Internet?
    >
    > I was leaning to BF42 because of the number of mods out for it might
    > keep it fresh longer but BFV is newer.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Both are great. As you said, BF42 has a great number of mods, some of
    them outstanding. However I can only find servers for Desert Combat on a
    regular basis.

    According to GameSpy:

    38737 servers, 102639 players
    2. Half Life 2
    13090 servers, 49017 players
    3. Call of Duty
    6787 servers, 16785 players
    4. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
    3257 servers, 12540 players
    5. Americas Army: Special Forces
    2067 servers, 8001 players
    6. Unreal Tournament 2004
    3120 servers, 7728 players
    7. Battlefield 1942
    2653 servers, 6311 players
    8. Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    2589 servers, 5804 players
    9. Neverwinter Nights
    1472 servers, 5318 players
    10. Soldier of Fortune 2
    1741 servers, 4604 players
    11. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead
    1444 servers, 4395 players
    12. Quake 3: Arena
    2296 servers, 4326 players
    13. Unreal Tournament
    2519 servers, 3963 players
    14. Battlefield: Vietnam
    1367 servers, 2977 players

    , there are still quite a lot of players for both games. BF42 has been
    amazingly longlived, and I think it will go on until BF2 arrives.

    Anyway, a recommendation. Buy both - there should be some packages
    available now. Else go for BF42 it is a true classic, and can be bought
    very cheaply now. And it still has the largest active community.
    Technically it still feels fairly up-to-date

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco

    Achtung Ecco wrote:
    > Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    >
    >> After just getting broadband been wondering about online play with
    >> BF1942 and\or BFV.
    >>
    >> Which one do you think is more fun\supported\admined out there?
    >>
    >> ASE says there are over 2000 BF1942 servers to over 1000 BFV. I have
    >> seen some LAN play with each but which one would work best on Internet?
    >>
    >> I was leaning to BF42 because of the number of mods out for it might
    >> keep it fresh longer but BFV is newer.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >

    > Both are great. As you said, BF42 has a great number of mods, some of
    > them outstanding. However I can only find servers for Desert Combat on a
    > regular basis.
    >
    > According to GameSpy:
    >
    > 38737 servers, 102639 players
    > 2. Half Life 2
    > 13090 servers, 49017 players
    > 3. Call of Duty
    > 6787 servers, 16785 players
    > 4. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
    > 3257 servers, 12540 players
    > 5. Americas Army: Special Forces
    > 2067 servers, 8001 players
    > 6. Unreal Tournament 2004
    > 3120 servers, 7728 players
    > 7. Battlefield 1942
    > 2653 servers, 6311 players
    > 8. Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    > 2589 servers, 5804 players
    > 9. Neverwinter Nights
    > 1472 servers, 5318 players
    > 10. Soldier of Fortune 2
    > 1741 servers, 4604 players
    > 11. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead
    > 1444 servers, 4395 players
    > 12. Quake 3: Arena
    > 2296 servers, 4326 players
    > 13. Unreal Tournament
    > 2519 servers, 3963 players
    > 14. Battlefield: Vietnam
    > 1367 servers, 2977 players
    >
    > , there are still quite a lot of players for both games. BF42 has been
    > amazingly longlived, and I think it will go on until BF2 arrives.
    >
    > Anyway, a recommendation. Buy both - there should be some packages
    > available now. Else go for BF42 it is a true classic, and can be bought
    > very cheaply now. And it still has the largest active community.
    > Technically it still feels fairly up-to-date
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco

    Thanks AE. I was also wondering about BF2.
    BFV justed seems like something thrown in to water down the original
    until the big BF2 rolls out. :-\
    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    > Achtung Ecco wrote:

    > Thanks AE. I was also wondering about BF2.
    > BFV justed seems like something thrown in to water down the original
    > until the big BF2 rolls out. :-\

    Well, it more than an expansion pack, but less than a complete upgrade.
    It feels more air-insertion and infantry oriented. The graphic upgrades
    are so-so. I like the feel of it a lot, but 1942 is still the classic I
    return to most often. Ahh, to fly over the desert in my Spitfire....

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Villy Vonka" <Villy@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Jethro[AGHL] wrote
    >>After just getting broadband been wondering about online play with BF1942
    >>and\or BFV.
    >>
    >>Which one do you think is more fun\supported\admined out there?
    >>
    >>ASE says there are over 2000 BF1942 servers to over 1000 BFV. I have seen
    >>some LAN play with each but which one would work best on Internet?
    >>
    >>I was leaning to BF42 because of the number of mods out for it might keep
    >>it fresh longer but BFV is newer.
    >
    > My recommendation would be to hold out for the BF2 demo, it should be out
    > very soon. If BF2 turns out to be a hit there will be a lot less people
    > playing BF1942 and BFV than there are now. And unfortunately in BF1942
    > there are allegedly lots of cheats being used. At least following the
    > release of BF2 we should get around 6 months of clean gaming before the
    > cheaters move in.
    >
    > --
    > [AGB]Villy Vonka
    > Sheffield, UK
    > http://www.villyvonka.co.uk

    I reckon we will have about a week before the cheaters move in. Then wait
    about two months for a patch. Then we will have a week before the cheaters
    move back in, and so on and so on . . .

    Chris.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Villy Vonka <Villy@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >At least
    >following the release of BF2 we should get around 6 months of clean
    >gaming before the cheaters move in.

    Where did you find that humongous dose of optimism? That's enough for a
    dozen people.

    JK'05 aka Elkrider
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    In article <nt2241hlma7397kac20us8nb4ac2adp39u@4ax.com>, varros@gmx.de says...
    > Where did you find that humongous dose of optimism?

    Was thinking along similar lines. :-)
    --
    Best regards, flyace
    Thou infectious beetle-headed death-token!

    Jan Kannemacher wrote
    >Villy Vonka wrote:
    >>At least
    >>following the release of BF2 we should get around 6 months of clean
    >>gaming before the cheaters move in.
    >
    >Where did you find that humongous dose of optimism? That's enough for a
    >dozen people.

    Would you like some of mine since I have plenty to spare? ;)

    Well, as a sort of yardstick I looked at my archive of messages from
    this newsgroup from its inception to the end of 2003. There was very
    little discussion as to the possibility that hacks were available early
    in that period and/or that people might be using them. Certainly no
    convincing arguments prior to May 2003, well over than 6 months after
    the full game's release (when was that again, 10 Sep 02 IIRC?? The demo
    was out in mid August 02). The only real threads about the possibility
    of players cheating, using keywords of "hacks" "cheats" "hack" "cheat"
    "hackers" and "cheaters" and excluding all out of context as far as this
    debate goes (for example, hey you knifed me that's cheating) were:

    9 March 2003 by Dark Helmet. Killed by a player several times in a row.
    Put down to "probably lag".

    27 May 03 by Kipper. Turned out to be a bug with the sound engine.

    8 June 03 by Sisyphus. Killed by a sub in a destroyer, the offending
    player was using a console glitch which enabled him to see while the sub
    was submerged.

    In fact, the first acknowledgement that I can find where somebody said
    "hey did you know there are hacks around which actually work" was June
    2003. I'm well aware that before 1.4 (June 03?) there were working
    hacks around, but that was 9 months after the game's release. I'd be
    surprised if there were any in the first 6 months, my guess would be
    some time early 2003. Even if there were, it was certainly not a major
    problem as nobody here was aware of them.

    So I guess the question is, for those who keep up with the cheaters'
    forums (for decent purposes of course, ie catching the scum!), when was
    the first genuine, working third party BF1942 cheat made available? My
    guess, and it is just an educated guess, is February - March 2003.

    Cheers

    --
    [AGB]Villy Vonka
    Sheffield, UK

    Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    > After just getting broadband been wondering about online play with
    > BF1942 and\or BFV.
    >
    > Which one do you think is more fun\supported\admined out there?
    >
    > ASE says there are over 2000 BF1942 servers to over 1000 BFV. I have
    > seen some LAN play with each but which one would work best on Internet?
    >
    > I was leaning to BF42 because of the number of mods out for it might
    > keep it fresh longer but BFV is newer.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    you can install 40 working total conversion mods for BF1942, play prob
    about 10-20 of them online depending on servers running.

    BFV prob has 20 working mods, play about 10 if you are lucky.

    BF1942 has prob 6000 maps for the various mods, some overlap as EL
    Alamein is used in all etc etc.

    BF1942 has DCF, Silent Heroes, DCX, EOD, BattleGroup 42, Forgottten Hope
    Interstate 82, etc etc, ALL mature very good mods, with loads of maps,
    and servers.

    BFV has various different Vietnam style mods, plus POE (Point of
    Existence) this mod is modern combat and set in Africa.
    and assorted other exotic mods.
    you would have bought BFV for this mod alone, but it will convert to
    BF2, in time.

    not worth buying Battlefield Vietnam now.
    various mod teams are experimenting with BFV.

    so the best bet is BF1942 and 40 mods to play.
    the best mods from BF1942 and BFV WILL migrate to BF2.

    regards malcolm
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Villy Vonka <Villy@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >So I guess the question is, for those who keep up with the cheaters'
    >forums (for decent purposes of course, ie catching the scum!), when was
    >the first genuine, working third party BF1942 cheat made available? My
    >guess, and it is just an educated guess, is February - March 2003.

    I'm not sure but actually it doesn't matter. Just because it took it may
    have taken a while until cheats for BF42 came up, it doesn't necessarily
    mean that BF2 will be "safe" for the same period of time. I wouldn't be
    surprised at all if the BF42 cheats work with only a few changes. 8^/

    JK'05 aka Elkrider
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    malcolm wrote:
    > Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
    >
    >> After just getting broadband been wondering about online play with
    >> BF1942 and\or BFV.
    >>
    >> Which one do you think is more fun\supported\admined out there?
    >>
    >> ASE says there are over 2000 BF1942 servers to over 1000 BFV. I have
    >> seen some LAN play with each but which one would work best on Internet?
    >>
    >> I was leaning to BF42 because of the number of mods out for it might
    >> keep it fresh longer but BFV is newer.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?

    > you can install 40 working total conversion mods for BF1942, play prob
    > about 10-20 of them online depending on servers running.
    >
    > BFV prob has 20 working mods, play about 10 if you are lucky.
    >
    > BF1942 has prob 6000 maps for the various mods, some overlap as EL
    > Alamein is used in all etc etc.
    >
    > BF1942 has DCF, Silent Heroes, DCX, EOD, BattleGroup 42, Forgottten Hope
    > Interstate 82, etc etc, ALL mature very good mods, with loads of maps,
    > and servers.
    >
    > BFV has various different Vietnam style mods, plus POE (Point of
    > Existence) this mod is modern combat and set in Africa.
    > and assorted other exotic mods.
    > you would have bought BFV for this mod alone, but it will convert to
    > BF2, in time.
    >
    > not worth buying Battlefield Vietnam now.
    > various mod teams are experimenting with BFV.
    >
    > so the best bet is BF1942 and 40 mods to play.
    > the best mods from BF1942 and BFV WILL migrate to BF2.
    >
    > regards malcolm

    Thanks Malcolm. Mice research.

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Jan Kannemacher wrote
    >I'm not sure but actually it doesn't matter. Just because it took it may
    >have taken a while until cheats for BF42 came up, it doesn't necessarily
    >mean that BF2 will be "safe" for the same period of time. I wouldn't be
    >surprised at all if the BF42 cheats work with only a few changes. 8^/

    Of course. I'm just guessing based on past experience that it will take
    quite some time before the scrotes manage to develop cheats that work
    with the new engine. If I thought it likely that there would be cheats
    available within a few weeks then I probably wouldn't bother buying the
    game at all...

    --
    [AGB]Villy Vonka
    Sheffield, UK

    Villy Vonka <Villy@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >If I thought it likely that there would be cheats
    >available within a few weeks then I probably wouldn't bother buying the
    >game at all...

    I'll probably buy it despite the cheaters. I certainly won't let them
    run my "game life". ;^)

    JK'05 aka Elkrider

Video Games