Windows 8 PC locks up/hangs

aphires

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hi, my pc on win 8 locks up from time to time, usually when a browser (chrome, firefox) is open. i can move the mouse, but clicking anything doesn't produce a response. i can get to the task manager and it'll show the CPU up past 92%+ and the "up time" will freeze. After a while (around a minute, sometimes more) everything returns to normal, the up time starts counting again and the cpu returns to around 30-50%. Any idea what might be causing these frequent lock ups?

you will need to see if there is a event log entry at the time of the lockup. It could be many things, the last time I had this happen it was caused by a bug in the firmware of my solid state drive, the system would lock up for 60 seconds while the firmware ran its broken trim and garbage collection routines. I had to update the SSD firmware and that fixed my problem.

djr372

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

It seems like this is the standard answer to everything that is wrong with Windows 8. Disc 100% usage? Bad hard drive. CPU 100% usage? Bad hard drive. Can't access the Windows Store? Sounds like your hard drive. Windows dropping the WiFi connection? Wups! Need to replace your hard drive! It is a lazy, non-thinking, "I don't want to be bothered with your problem" answer. How many new hard drives do I have to buy before Windows 8 no longer causes me a problem? Once, just once, can someone consider the problem may be Windows 8 before blaming something else?

I had the same problem. I solved it by uninstalling Norton Internet Security. NIS worked just fine under Windows 7, but it gave me nothing but grief under Windows 8. You wouldn't believe how many "experts" said it was my hard drive. They were so convinced that they refused even to believe the diagnostics.

aforarpit

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
i face the same problem.. dont know why but it is deeply irritating...the part solution i can give you is to have your sleep function in the power button. put your computer to sleep by pressing the power button and then start it again...30 seconds lost but pc will be back to normal