D-SLR with image stabilization

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 15, 2005 1:52:03 PM

Hello.

Are there any digital SLR cameras with image stabilization?
If not, can those be expected to be released in the near future?

greetings, Niek
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:03:20 PM

On 15 Aug 2005 09:52:03 -0700, "name" <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Are there any digital SLR cameras with image stabilization?
>If not, can those be expected to be released in the near future?

Sure, all the Canon IS lenses have image stabilization and work with
any of the Canon DSLR line.

http://www.videodirecteoscameras.com/canoneflensesimage...

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:20:49 PM

Having it in the bod gives one more flexibility in the lens though.
Lenses can be more expensive that the body after all. Just for one.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:01:56 PM

name wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Are there any digital SLR cameras with image stabilization?
> If not, can those be expected to be released in the near future?
>
> greetings, Niek

Konica-Minolta's 5D and 7D have Anti-shake built in. I might be wrong,
but I think there is a tiny shutter lag when AS is turned on.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:06:45 PM

In article <1124124722.977877.276400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dohduhdah@yahoo.com says...

> Hello.
>
> Are there any digital SLR cameras with image stabilization?
> If not, can those be expected to be released in the near future?
>
> greetings, Niek

The only DSLR that has built in IS is the Minolta Maxxum 7D.

Both Nikon and Canon offer lenses with image stabilization built in.

The 7D is a bit pricey, but you do pay extra for lenses with IS, so the
cost tradeoff is minimal. I've seen some people say you get an extra
stop with IS lenses over the 7D's "move the sensor" method, but I've
never had an opportunity to test it.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:06:45 GMT, Brian Baird <no@no.thank.u> wrote:

>In article <1124124722.977877.276400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>dohduhdah@yahoo.com says...
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Are there any digital SLR cameras with image stabilization?
>> If not, can those be expected to be released in the near future?
>>
>> greetings, Niek
>
>The only DSLR that has built in IS is the Minolta Maxxum 7D.
>
>Both Nikon and Canon offer lenses with image stabilization built in.
>
>The 7D is a bit pricey, but you do pay extra for lenses with IS, so the
>cost tradeoff is minimal. I've seen some people say you get an extra
>stop with IS lenses over the 7D's "move the sensor" method, but I've
>never had an opportunity to test it.

I would say having it in the lens give one more flexibility in the use
of bodies. I wouldn't want it to be in the body.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
August 15, 2005 9:06:46 PM

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <1124124722.977877.276400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> dohduhdah@yahoo.com says...
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Are there any digital SLR cameras with image stabilization?
>> If not, can those be expected to be released in the near future?
>>
>> greetings, Niek
>
> The only DSLR that has built in IS is the Minolta Maxxum 7D.

And the Minolta Maxxum 5D that will sell for CDN $1,099.99 with their DT
18~70 kit lens.The 5D will ship September.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:34:32 PM

In article <fgi1g1hv0o2dtrjeo4ahcjvqhiuuh4ek8n@4ax.com>,
johnastovall@earthlink.net says...
> Sure, all the Canon IS lenses have image stabilization and work with
> any of the Canon DSLR line.

Ditto with Nikon and their VR lenses.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
August 15, 2005 9:34:33 PM

> In article <fgi1g1hv0o2dtrjeo4ahcjvqhiuuh4ek8n@4ax.com>,
> johnastovall@earthlink.net says...
>> Sure, all the Canon IS lenses have image stabilization and work with
>> any of the Canon DSLR line.
>
> Ditto with Nikon and their VR lenses.

But with Konica-Minolta your'll have 28 OEM lenses all AS...
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:05:49 PM

In article <q8l1g1t1ado6p5qk2opulldpteve81i4ms@4ax.com>,
johnastovall@earthlink.net says...

> >The 7D is a bit pricey, but you do pay extra for lenses with IS, so the
> >cost tradeoff is minimal. I've seen some people say you get an extra
> >stop with IS lenses over the 7D's "move the sensor" method, but I've
> >never had an opportunity to test it.
>
> I would say having it in the lens give one more flexibility in the use
> of bodies. I wouldn't want it to be in the body.

The 7D does seem to work pretty well.

The advantage of having it in the lens is that some longer telephotos
have a "panning" mode.

I think it would be nice to have it in the body for shorter focal
lengths, and having the longer lenses with their own. In any case,
image stabilization really is a handy thing to have.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <fgi1g1hv0o2dtrjeo4ahcjvqhiuuh4ek8n@4ax.com>,
> johnastovall@earthlink.net says...
>> Sure, all the Canon IS lenses have image stabilization and work with
>> any of the Canon DSLR line.
>
> Ditto with Nikon and their VR lenses.

-Except that they only have 5, and none of them are under $1000.
:(
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:46:08 AM

"MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> "Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
>> In article <fgi1g1hv0o2dtrjeo4ahcjvqhiuuh4ek8n@4ax.com>,
>> johnastovall@earthlink.net says...
>>> Sure, all the Canon IS lenses have image stabilization and work with
>>> any of the Canon DSLR line.
>>
>> Ditto with Nikon and their VR lenses.
>
> -Except that they only have 5, and none of them are under $1000.
> :(

24-120? $510 at B&H...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> "MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
>>> In article <fgi1g1hv0o2dtrjeo4ahcjvqhiuuh4ek8n@4ax.com>,
>>> johnastovall@earthlink.net says...
>>>
>>> Ditto with Nikon and their VR lenses.
>>
>> -Except that they only have 5, and none of them are under $1000.
>> :(
>>
> 24-120? $510 at B&H...

Ya...that's what I meant.
:)  Oops.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:57:55 PM

"name" <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> writes:

> Are there any digital SLR cameras with image stabilization?
> If not, can those be expected to be released in the near future?

Mostly it's a lens rather than camera issue. Canon, Nikon, and I
believe Sigma make some stabilized lenses.

And then, contradicting myself, Minolta has a couple of bodies that do
incorporate image stabilization.
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/&gt; Much of which is still down
!