Sign in with
Your question

7970 and gtx680 for maya, zbrush, after effects.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 7:11:50 AM

I want a new gaming rig, but i also want a new computer which is strong in 3d programs like maya, zbrush and other types of editing program.

I heard that the new nvidia ard 680 have really bad compute power? not really sure what this means but i guess it isnt really good...

So if i were to work on something, lets say mudbox and i have 12milion polys on my model, would it float better on a 7970?
And how would be it if i was doing animation in a really heavy scene in maya, would that float better aswell?

Tho i have heard that nvidia have more support on this programs than AMD so what is really better for me?

More about : 7970 gtx680 maya zbrush effects

a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 7:15:41 AM

I'm very inexperienced in the field you're wanting to use these cards in, but I've read that the 600 series Compute power is lacking greatly(at this current moment) and that if you want the best performance you can get right now, to get a GTX580 - Nvidia based and has good Compute power.

I would wait for more input on this, as I said earlier, I'm very inexperienced for what you're talking about.
May 23, 2012 8:12:14 AM

mocchan said:
I'm very inexperienced in the field you're wanting to use these cards in, but I've read that the 600 series Compute power is lacking greatly(at this current moment) and that if you want the best performance you can get right now, to get a GTX580 - Nvidia based and has good Compute power.

I would wait for more input on this, as I said earlier, I'm very inexperienced for what you're talking about.

hopefully someone will know the answer....
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 2:02:52 PM

7970 :) . Right now it is the best at compute.
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 2:27:37 PM

The 7970 has roughly triple the DP compute power of the GTX 580 and almost six times the DP compute power of the GTX 680. The 7970 can hang with the professional compute cards of the previous generations because of it's huge compute performance and it's also on-par with the GTX 670 for gaming performance (less than 5% behind the GTX 680, on average).
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 4:10:25 PM

I was just looking around for some actual maya benchmarks, but I haven't found any yet. There must be some comparing the 680 to the 7970, because one of the knocks on Kepler is the compute gap (though for the people who really care, of course, you'd just use a professional card). Still, it's true that the 7000 series is much better than Kepler on compute performance--but it's always best to check real benchmarks.
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 10:31:24 PM

motorneuron said:
I was just looking around for some actual maya benchmarks, but I haven't found any yet. There must be some comparing the 680 to the 7970, because one of the knocks on Kepler is the compute gap (though for the people who really care, of course, you'd just use a professional card). Still, it's true that the 7000 series is much better than Kepler on compute performance--but it's always best to check real benchmarks.

The 7970 beats most of the professional cards that cost more than five to ten times more than the 7970 does and that's why it gets recommended. Tom's and Anand have benchmarks comparing the 7970 and the GTX 680, although I don't know if they have maya benchmarks specifically.
May 24, 2012 12:12:05 PM

Thanks for your for your help guys, i have been searching around as well but found really few tests.

There was 1forum that i found, (dont remember which) that did tests in openGL and they found that the radeon cards was beating the lifeforce out of the nvidia cards with as much as twice to 4times as much.

Atm in my school computer i'm running with a quadro 4800.

I have to say that in general i'm not impressed by the quadros performance at all, even tho it's a 1500euro card the 6900 is twice as good according to friends in my class. We did some benchmarks with Cinebench and found that 6900 had twice the score and was noticely running some animations scenes we had hade a lot smother.

This is important when doing animation as it becomes easier to animate something if you can actually play it up in real time without having to do a playblast.

Been waiting on MSI gtx 680 now for about a month but nothing have arrived yet, even tho i like nvidia and there physx tech, + there card being better for the games i'm playing, i cant have a card that will cripple me this much in my work, huge disappointment :( .

I changed my order from 680 to a Asus 7970, it will arrive in 2days, saved 30euro. I hope this card will serv me better then my 4870, which died from overheating, lol.

I have a couple of heavy animation scenes that i made earlier which only will play around 5-6frames a second on a quadro. Will posts results later in this thread for people to look at for future referense incase of someone finding this thread on google.
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 6:24:49 PM

Good luck mate :) .
June 2, 2012 5:35:53 PM

Any news on your new Asus 7970? Just wondering how it performs in Maya ,etc

June 7, 2012 9:42:23 PM

Hello there pr1970.

I have not had to much time to test it because of exams but i can say that it does almost 3times faster than my quadro 4800fx card when doing animations, the quadro kinda lags being and making the scenes play slower than real time while the 7970 manage to play them without a problem.

I have still not tested out mudbox/zbrush or working with dynamics in maya but i will do some sculpting june 16 for challange kingstone is hosting at dreamhack. Will return with information about how well it's performing.
Something interesting to note was that with just some skype conversation being

But as far as i can tell, this is by far the best thing on the market.
a c 92 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 9:48:51 PM

the 7970 should be amazing in maya.
July 13, 2012 9:08:29 AM

Any news on this? I´m waiting for real experience with maya and 7970 couse I´ve heard a lot although 7970 beats on Opencl sintethic benchmarks, driver issues on most of 3d software (gliches, selections lags) make them unplayable for work
December 7, 2013 10:45:00 AM

Any updates ? I'm planing to get the R9-280x card which is actually the same as 7970 for using it in MAYA and mudbox, so can you tell me how does the 7970 perform with Maya ?! :) 
!