Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Case - Need replacement Power Supply

Last response: in Components
November 27, 2012 12:22:38 AM

I'm getting ready to overhaul my Media Center HTPC. It's currently running a Zotac IONITX motherboard with an external laptop style power supply. I'm considering rebuilding it with an Intel i3-3220T in a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard.

The case is a standard ATX Ahanix D.Vine HTPC case. The power supply that came with the case is an Ahanix HTPC series 200 Watt Power Supply. I'm not sure if the size is a standard. It's about 2.5 inches tall, 5 inches wide and 5 1/4" deep. It says "ATX 2.03 Compliant" on it.

Since I've been using the Ion ITX Motherboard with the external power supply for several years, I haven't had to use this one, but I seem to recall it was acting flakey when I was using it. However, that was running a P4 mobo, 3.2 Ghz Proc, and a couple of hard drives, so I might have just been over taxing it. This envisioned system should be a much lower wattage build than the last time I used this PSU.

So I guess I have a couple of questions... assuming that this power supply is still good, will it work with the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard with the i3-3220T proc, or is this ATX 2.03 outdated? From what I read, this motherboard might have either a 4 pin or 8 pin ATX 12 V connector depending on the revision. This PSU only has a 4 pin connector. The PSU says +3.3V - 28A, +5V - 30A, +12V CPU - 15A, +12V I/O - N/A, -12 V 0.8A, -5V - 0.3A, +5Vsb - 2.0A, 3.3V +5V - 200W.

If I do need to replace the PSU, is this size a standard of any sort? It seems to be about half the size of a normal PC PSU.

Thanks!
February 2, 2013 7:53:41 PM

I'm going to answer my own question, in case anyone else stumbles across this while searching for information. After doing quite a bit of research, I found a power supply with the same dimensions as the one that came in the D.Vine HTPC Case. It is the SPARKLE FSP350-60GNV.

I ended up going with an ASUS P8Z77-M Micro ATX motherboard with an Intel i3-3225 proc. I haven't replaced the power supply yet, but I think I'm going to. The power supply that came with the case (described in the original post) works, but it's been randomly rebooting once a day or so, and I suspect the power supply is the culprit. That is similar to what I recall it doing the last time I used it.

I'll post an update on here once I do replace it as to whether it resolved the random reboot issues I've been having.
m
l
Related resources
!