how can i sell WoW used (how2 reset CD key legally)?

Is there any way to somehow make my WoW CDs legal to sell, that is cancel my
account with Blizzard somehow so the CD key becomes usable again by a buyer
of my WoW game on ebay, etc?

One day of trying World of Warcraft and I am frustrated at the problems just
getting it installed (hours to get patched installed after many disconnects
and problems). Then I play the game and all went well for an hour or so but
now I get disconnected from the server frequently, and of course when I get
logged back on my character was killed (somehow still alive and standing
still while I was kicked off server). At this point, I would rather sell
the game and get out before I end up being locked in with a credit card
bill for a game that can only play online, and poorly at that with server
disconnects, etc. I loved Diablo, Diablo II, but WoW has issues as an RPG
playable only online.

lol
You just experienced the same things I experienced...
it's called 'patch day'
Just like you, mother fortune made it so I also started playing the
game on a patch day, and the same problems you had were the ones I had
so I can relate.
You were just very unlucky in choosing the day to start playing,
normally things are WAAAAY smoother. Give it another try.

Oh, and to answer your question, there is no legal way to sell your
account. That doesn't mean you can't sell it on ebay, many people do,
you just have to sell it cheaper, and include shipping costs, etc. A
new unopened box sells for about $45 including shipping so you'll have
to do better than that (besides, a portion of the free month will be
used up when you sell it).

I suggest trying it again, it's normally not that bad at all

Protagoras wrote:
> Is there any way to somehow make my WoW CDs legal to sell, that is cancel my
> account with Blizzard somehow so the CD key becomes usable again by a buyer
> of my WoW game on ebay, etc?

No can do. That's a blatant violation of the Terms of Service
which I suppose you agreed to without actually reading the way
everyone else does...

> One day of trying World of Warcraft and I am frustrated at the problems just
> getting it installed (hours to get patched installed after many disconnects
> and problems). Then I play the game and all went well for an hour or so but
> now I get disconnected from the server frequently, and of course when I get
> logged back on my character was killed (somehow still alive and standing
> still while I was kicked off server).

With all due respect, the experience of having played the game
for one day on the day the most recent round of patches are
rolled out is NOT a fair test. Give it another couple of days
and it will settle down considerably.

> At this point, I would rather sell
> the game and get out before I end up being locked in with a credit card
> bill for a game that can only play online, and poorly at that with server
> disconnects, etc. I loved Diablo, Diablo II, but WoW has issues as an RPG
> playable only online.

It does have issues, but you can't legally transfer your CD
key.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

Rich

"Protagoras" <protagoras@miworld.net> wrote in message
> Then I play the game and all went well for an hour or so but
> now I get disconnected from the server frequently, and of course when I
> get
> logged back on my character was killed (somehow still alive and standing
> still while I was kicked off server).

Patch days are traditionaly plagued by problems. However everything had been
sorted out by lunchtime yesterday.

Give it another go, boots from the server are quite rare, its only happened
twice to me since day one of release.

Protagoras wrote:

> Is there any way to somehow make my WoW CDs legal to sell, that is cancel my
> account with Blizzard somehow so the CD key becomes usable again by a buyer
> of my WoW game on ebay, etc?
>
> One day of trying World of Warcraft and I am frustrated at the problems just
> getting it installed (hours to get patched installed after many disconnects
> and problems). Then I play the game and all went well for an hour or so but
> now I get disconnected from the server frequently, and of course when I get
> logged back on my character was killed (somehow still alive and standing
> still while I was kicked off server). At this point, I would rather sell
> the game and get out before I end up being locked in with a credit card
> bill for a game that can only play online, and poorly at that with server
> disconnects, etc. I loved Diablo, Diablo II, but WoW has issues as an RPG
> playable only online.

Glad I'm not alone!

Installed on Tuesday, game wouldn't start until a huge patch was
downloaded, but the download wouldn't work. Going to the WOW site, I
was surprised to find that Blizzard simply won't invest in enough server
capacity to support the number of games they've sold, and so expect us
to download from, what, other players? (P2P) Odd that while Blizzard
claims it's impossible to have enough server capacity and bandwidth,
other game manufacturers seem to do it all the time.

An unpleasant enough initial experience, with hints of future problems,
that I wrote to Blizzard this morning asking about if I can sell my copy
of the game to someone else. No reply yet.

Lisa

>>Protagoras wrote:
>> Is there any way to somehow make my WoW CDs legal to sell, that is cancel my
>> account with Blizzard somehow so the CD key becomes usable again by a buyer
>> of my WoW game on ebay, etc?

> Nathan Eagle wrote:
>
> No can do. That's a blatant violation of the Terms of Service
> which I suppose you agreed to without actually reading the way
> everyone else does...

If anybody hasn't read the End User License Agreement, it's you. From
an excerpt of the EULA (and pay close attention to that first setence):

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
3. Ownership.
B. You may permanently transfer ownership of the Game and all parts
thereof, and all of your rights and obligations under the License
Agreement, to another by physically transferring the CD-ROM, all
original packaging, and all Manuals or other documentation associated
with the Game, and by removing from all of your home or personal
computers and destroying any remaining materials concerning the Game in
your possession or control, provided the recipient agrees to the terms
of this License Agreement. The transferor (i.e., you), and not the
Licensor, agrees to be solely responsible for any taxes, fees, charges,
duties, withholdings, assessments, and the like, together with any
interest, penalties, and additions imposed in connection with such
transfer.

That said, there has been a repeated problem with Blizzard failing to
transfer the registration of a CD Key to another party.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (28) on Stormrage [PvE]

>Odd that while Blizzard claims it's impossible to have enough server capacity and bandwidth,
>other game manufacturers seem to do it all the time

Player base is rumored to be over 2 million. Name other game
manufacturers that release patches
that 2 million players download simultaneously. I find nothing odd
about Blizzards claim.

Also, if your fed up after 1 day, then a MMORPG is definately not for
you. Wait until you've invested a lot of time and effort in a
character and the company decides to change (for the worse) a basic
feature of your character - this is called nurfing and happens regulary
in MMORPGs. Or take a situation where you've worked with a team of
other players for the last 8 hours beating a particularly hard dungeon
and just when the Boss mob drops the "Item of Ultimate Power (tm)", the
game crashes and all your work was lost - happens regularly in MMORPGs.

You have to be willing to put up with a lot to play MMORPGs. Patch day
is just a minor annoyance.

wolfing wrote:

> Oh, and to answer your question, there is no legal way to sell your
> account.

I beg to differ. Blizzard is not the U.S. government and as such they
have no right to pass laws making things illegal. EULAs are
unenforceable and the only way they are used is as a justification for
the company to take something away from you. For instance if you
violate a EULA (but don't break any actual laws like the IPA), the
worse the company can do is delete your account. They can't try to sue
you or anything.

So the only risk you take selling your WoW CDs and account is that
Blizzard might figure it out somehow and later on delete the account
that the purchaser will be playing on. Not a risk I'd be willing to
take as a purchaser, personally.

>>wolfing wrote:
>> Oh, and to answer your question, there is no legal way to sell your
>> account.
>
> Cyde Wyes wrote:
> I beg to differ. Blizzard is not the U.S. government and as such
> they have no right to pass laws making things illegal.

Never mind that wolfing is just talking out of his ass. Blizzard has
made no such restriction. Refer to EULA Section 3 Paragraph B.

> EULAs are unenforceable

Now this is you talking out your ass. EULAs have been held up by the
courts. Specifically, Blizzard's EULA _has_ been tested in court by the
Davidson & Associates, Inc. v. Internet Gateway case, which some of you
may recall as the dispute between Vivendi & the Bnetd folks.

If you want a good run down on the "Are EULAs enforceable?" question,
here's a web page by an actual lawyer:
http://www.grimwell.com/?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=228

Regards,
Noal

--

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message

> wolfing wrote:
>
>> Oh, and to answer your question, there is no legal way to sell your
>> account.
>
> I beg to differ. Blizzard is not the U.S. government and as such they
> have no right to pass laws making things illegal. EULAs are
> unenforceable and the only way they are used is as a justification for
> the company to take something away from you. For instance if you
> violate a EULA (but don't break any actual laws like the IPA), the
> worse the company can do is delete your account. They can't try to sue
> you or anything.
>
> So the only risk you take selling your WoW CDs and account is that
> Blizzard might figure it out somehow and later on delete the account
> that the purchaser will be playing on. Not a risk I'd be willing to
> take as a purchaser, personally.

From EULA...
B. You may permanently transfer ownership of the Game and all parts thereof,
and all of your rights and obligations under the License Agreement, to
another by physically transferring the CD-ROM, all original packaging, and
all Manuals or other documentation associated with the Game, and by removing
from all of your home or personal computers and destroying any remaining
materials concerning the Game in your possession or control, provided the
recipient agrees to the terms of this License Agreement. The transferor
(i.e., you), and not the Licensor, agrees to be solely responsible for any
taxes, fees, charges, duties, withholdings, assessments, and the like,
together with any interest, penalties, and additions imposed in connection
with such transfer.

TRENDING THREADS