Closed

Create self installing Ghost image for XP?

I currently use Norton ghost to make backup images. Can I use it to create
self installing backup images so that a user can just pop in a disk and sit
back and let it install?

if not is there a product out there that will do this?
11 answers Last reply
More about create installing ghost image

    "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in

    > I currently use Norton ghost to make backup images. Can I use it to
    > create self installing backup images so that a user can just pop in a
    > disk and sit back and let it install?
    >
    > if not is there a product out there that will do this?

    good question.

    i work for a hotel that wants to put some pcs in the rooms, but we're
    afraid of what people could leave on there.

    I'm looking for a bootable disk that will "self-install" a disk image.
    Such as the housekeeper just popping it in the drive while she's cleaning,
    letting it run, then moving onto the next room.

    Smowk

    "Smowk" <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > i work for a hotel that wants to put some pcs in the rooms, but we're
    > afraid of what people could leave on there.
    >
    > I'm looking for a bootable disk that will "self-install" a disk image.
    > Such as the housekeeper just popping it in the drive while she's cleaning,
    > letting it run, then moving onto the next room.
    >
    > Smowk

    Look into deepFreeze.

    http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail

    Try a product called Deep Freeze.....very good for lab or public PC
    environments. What it will do is set a roll back point and every reboot will
    take the PC back to that point. It will drop all added files, programs, and
    viruses. not too expensive either.

    http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

    Hope it helps...Napnut

    "Josh" wrote:

    > I currently use Norton ghost to make backup images. Can I use it to create
    > self installing backup images so that a user can just pop in a disk and sit
    > back and let it install?
    >
    > if not is there a product out there that will do this?

    Why not try simple autorun for the CD calling a batch file calling ghost
    with the appropriate parameters, then perform a reboot ?

    "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    O8A2hFfNFHA.3772@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I currently use Norton ghost to make backup images. Can I use it to create
    > self installing backup images so that a user can just pop in a disk and
    > sit
    > back and let it install?
    >
    > if not is there a product out there that will do this?

    HTat would be great do you know where I can find an example batch file to do
    this?

    Thank you

    "MoiMeme" <moimeme@be.uk> wrote in message
    > Why not try simple autorun for the CD calling a batch file calling ghost
    > with the appropriate parameters, then perform a reboot ?
    >
    > "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > O8A2hFfNFHA.3772@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>I currently use Norton ghost to make backup images. Can I use it to
    >>create
    >> self installing backup images so that a user can just pop in a disk and
    >> sit
    >> back and let it install?
    >>
    >> if not is there a product out there that will do this?

    maybe this (http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/autorun/) can help
    you.
    creating the batchfile that is kicked off with the autorun should not be a
    big problem.
    ghost documentation surely has an example of runing it from a batch.
    probably something along the line:
    ghost <imagefilename> <parameters>

    george

    "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > HTat would be great do you know where I can find an example batch file to
    > do this?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > "MoiMeme" <moimeme@be.uk> wrote in message
    >> Why not try simple autorun for the CD calling a batch file calling ghost
    >> with the appropriate parameters, then perform a reboot ?
    >>
    >> "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> O8A2hFfNFHA.3772@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>>I currently use Norton ghost to make backup images. Can I use it to
    >>>create
    >>> self installing backup images so that a user can just pop in a disk and
    >>> sit
    >>> back and let it install?
    >>>
    >>> if not is there a product out there that will do this?

    Ghost switches for command line are listed here ( long URL ! copy all of it
    and paste into adress bar of browser) :
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1998082612540625?Open&src=lnk_en?Open&src=sg&docid=2002091914103925&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/0621287c7b94b00788256c39007454db?opendocument&prod=norton%20ghost&ver=2003%20for%20windows%202000/nt/me/98&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&osv=&osv_lvl=

    For creating a batch :
    just create a text file with .bat extension
    it should contain the instruction <ghost parameters > with parameters being
    the swtiches needed and source of image file and destination partition ( try
    first using GUI interface before to be sure to select correct partition !).
    Put ghost files AND batch file AND image file into the root of the CD along
    with contents of a DOS bootable diskette ( or at least command.com file)

    Autorun can be done simply by putting in the ROOT of the CD an autorun.inf
    file ( simple text file) with followinf format and contents ( assuming the
    batch file used to restore is called RestPart.bat ( otherwise replace with
    correct name)):
    [AutoRun]
    open=RestPart.bat

    That should work.

    Phil

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news: OYsOCv2NFHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > maybe this (http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/autorun/) can help
    > you.
    > creating the batchfile that is kicked off with the autorun should not be a
    > big problem.
    > ghost documentation surely has an example of runing it from a batch.
    > probably something along the line:
    > ghost <imagefilename> <parameters>
    >
    > george
    >

    > "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >> HTat would be great do you know where I can find an example batch file to
    >> do this?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> "MoiMeme" <moimeme@be.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Why not try simple autorun for the CD calling a batch file calling ghost
    >>> with the appropriate parameters, then perform a reboot ?
    >>>
    >>> "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>> O8A2hFfNFHA.3772@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

    First, we're all assuming you're using a decent version of Ghost, such as
    v2003 and not that dopey v9. If so, yes, you can use the DOS version and
    script the command.

    As for scripting the ghost command, study the switches MoiMeme referred you
    to. Your command might look something similar to:

    ghost -clone,mode=prestore,src=c:\img\FI.GHO:1,dst=1:2 -batch -sure -quiet

    (This is just an example I cut-and-pasted from a batch file Dell uses in
    their recovery partition. )

    Forget the "autorun" CD--that's for launching the CD automatically after
    you're already in Windows. Instead, you want a bootable CD--the computer
    doesn't boot into Windows, it boots straight from the CD into DOS, where you
    can have the autoexec.bat file launch the ghost command.

    Will your Ghost image fit on a single CD? If not, swapping disks is an
    issue you'll have to deal with. If you can count on DVD drives in all
    computers, you could make a DVDR instead of a CDR.

    Also, if you've never created a bootable CD, that's a whole 'nuther topic.

    Take a look at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi. That BBS is all
    about Ghost and has lots of knowledgeable people who do the kind of thing
    you want. Your question is really only peripherally about XP, so for an
    extended discussion it will probably be more useful to take this to
    radified.com.

    "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote:
    > HTat would be great do you know where I can find an example
    > batch file to do this?
    >
    > "MoiMeme" <moimeme@be.uk> wrote:
    > > Why not try simple autorun for the CD calling a batch file calling
    > > ghost with the appropriate parameters, then perform a reboot ?
    > >
    > > "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote:
    > >> I currently use Norton ghost to make backup images. Can I use it
    > >> to create self installing backup images so that a user can just pop
    > >> in a disk and sit back and let it install?
  9. Is this a correct syntax for ghost. I want to write existing .gho file to my first HDD, drive C w/o touching other partition and I'am also adding a syntax to the ghost that the program can easily identify were i place / call the file ghosterr.txt

    ie....

    LH %CDROM%:\ghost\ghost.exe -clone,mode=prestore,src=%CDROM%:\img\FI.GHO:1,dst=1:2 -batch -sure -quiet -afile=%RAMD%:\Ghosterr.txt ......

    let me know if this is correct syntax / switches...

    BTW, I'am using ghost 2003.

    Thank in advance...

    -LinuxMan
  10. After much experimenting I discovered the following Ghost batch file syntax to do the trick perfectly for command-line automation of a hands-free boot partition restoration:

    c:\ghost -clone,mode=pload,src=2:3\GHOST\C-OK:1,dst=2:2 -sure -fro -crcignore

    The setup is as follows:

    - Ghost 2003 files loaded on a USB thumbdrive formatted with Windows 98
    (the topic of another post altogether)
    - single system hard drive with three partitions
    > first partition formatted as unmounted OEM recovery partition
    > second partition NTFS-formatted Windows XP boot partition ( C: )
    > third partition NTFS-formatted data partition ( D: )
    - Ghost 2003 recovery partition file saved as D:\GHOST\C-OK.GHO
    - System configured to boot first from thumbdrive, if present
    - I use a batch file with PAUSE to allow for a user abort & avoid heartbreak

    Now, test your knowledge: if the first OEM partition was not present how would the command line be modified? (Answer Provided Below)

    NOTES:
    1) The USB drive is recognized as drive 1
    2) The image file was created from a partition copy of C:
    3) This information is highly proprietary and will cost you!!!

    Truly plug-and-play and nothing has blown up yet. I'm so smart. ;)

    ANSWER:

    c:\ghost -clone,mode=pload,src=2:2\GHOST\C-OK:1,dst=2:1 -sure -fro -crcignore

Configuration Backup Customization Windows XP