Sign in with
Your question

How to upgrade your video card in xbox or ps3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 12:22:25 PM

Diablo only plays on pc because gaming consoles are too wimpy. Gaming consoles tend to freeze up due to cheep components mainly for profits. What are the alternatives? Is there no market for better quality products? I for one think this area is in need of an upgrade. While the average player has little imagination and allows those companies to dictate whatever terms for profit I have a perspective for an entire planet and a system big enough to accurately and flawlessly render it.
May 23, 2012 1:15:30 PM

The xbox 360 has an on board GPU so there is nothing you can do to change that. Even if you did have the technical know-how to swao out the graphics chip, the mobo would probably not know what it is as drivers are pre-installed for the gpu on it. Also you would have to use a chip that has the same pin format as the one in use.
Since the PS3 offers the possibility to install a linux OS on it (or it used to) you may be able to hack a new gpu driver onto it. But still, there's no way around the GPU chip itself.
I know, it really sucks, but what can you do... you basically get what you pay for.
Try building a pc whith $300 bucks that will run Diablo... :D 
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 2:17:50 PM

Go into PC Gaming! Build a cheap $600 APU system or get a Pentium G system and you're good to go :lol: .
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 2:40:59 PM

Uhh I heard the N64 is upgradeable...lol.
m
l
May 23, 2012 2:43:46 PM

the alternative to consoles is PC games. Having a PC allows you to pick the components you want based on the work load you anticipate for your needs. You also have the FREEDOM to upgrade components as need be or the ability to replace a failed component.

with consoles you buy proprietary/locked-down hardware with no upgrade path (except MOAR GB's or super cool faceplate stickers) when it fails you have to ask the manufacturer to hold your hand and repair it for you as you cry yourself to sleep everynight.
m
l
May 23, 2012 2:57:11 PM

There is a market for better quality products and you're not trail-blazing new horizons, here. The Playstation 4 and Xbox '720' have been in development for awhile, so the upgrade to the system is coming. Unfortunately, it'll be using hardware that is likely to be dated by release date.

The other market, as others have pointed out, is PC Gaming. If you were to build (or upgrade) your existing computer you might be able to play Diablo 3 on your TV or whatever. I also think Xbox 360 emulators exist, so it's possible you could play your Xbox 360 games on the computer, too. Mind you some Xbox 360 controllers are compatible with computers (via USB, I think) so that could fill the 'controller void'

I've decided to not buy the next generation of gaming consoles and just use the money that I would've spent on them to upgrading my computer. Most of the good games are available for multiple platforms, and for those that aren't, I'm sure an emulator will surface that'll take care of that... that is, if the DRM on the new consoles (such as "LOL U CANT PLAY USED GAEMS!") doesn't screw it altogether.
m
l
May 23, 2012 3:16:33 PM

It's time to game with the Big Boys, buy a PC.
m
l
May 24, 2012 8:48:07 AM

PCs are no doubt better for gaming, and yes game consols ususlly have outdated hardware and usually lack in graphics and proccessing power. But the thing is that if you own a console for gaming and a PC for "other stuff" you don't get sucked into the whole upgrading trip. Every new game that is produced always needs better hardware to play! So todays new High Settings graphics card is next years Medium Settings graphics card and so on. Where as on a console all the new games work, no upgrading needed! no matter what the game is it will always work.

Just a thought :) 
m
l
May 24, 2012 10:10:52 AM

would be cool if you could upgrade your gpu console xD but you cant ): better off buying a old pc or a cheap AMD computer.
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
May 24, 2012 12:47:20 PM

Quote:
Where as on a console all the new games work, no upgrading needed! no matter what the game is it will always work.

Until the next version of the Console comes out.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
May 24, 2012 1:16:55 PM

ngrego said:
PCs are no doubt better for gaming, and yes game consols ususlly have outdated hardware and usually lack in graphics and proccessing power. But the thing is that if you own a console for gaming and a PC for "other stuff" you don't get sucked into the whole upgrading trip. Every new game that is produced always needs better hardware to play! So todays new High Settings graphics card is next years Medium Settings graphics card and so on. Where as on a console all the new games work, no upgrading needed! no matter what the game is it will always work.

Just a thought :) 

Yet old games on high look as good as recent games on medium.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 1:20:48 PM

This is one of the reasons I've always been a pc gamer.
m
l
May 24, 2012 1:41:15 PM

I really tried to pick up on console games but until the consoles allow mouse and keyboard to be compatible I'm staying with computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 2:53:15 PM

30FPS
720P
Middle of the road graphic settings
Smaller levels
No mouse/keboard support

Consoles are not great for gaming unless you happen to have a crappy computer and can't play any games on it. Pretty sure DIII is pc only because the game play does not translate very well to using a controller as opposed to a keyboard and mouse. Look at how horrible Halo Wars was on a console. That style of game should have been played with a keyboard and mouse. I can only imagine DIII would be just as bad on console. If Blizzard really wanted to they could have 'dumbed' the game down a bit to make it console compatible like ever other console game.
m
l
May 31, 2012 6:55:08 PM

ozonepingpong said:
Diablo only plays on pc because gaming consoles are too wimpy. Gaming consoles tend to freeze up due to cheep components mainly for profits. What are the alternatives? Is there no market for better quality products? I for one think this area is in need of an upgrade. While the average player has little imagination and allows those companies to dictate whatever terms for profit I have a perspective for an entire planet and a system big enough to accurately and flawlessly render it.

Additional: I have excellent computers quite capable of playing Diablo. I just believe that we are being marketed to for revenue's sake. I believe that we could build a better system than that which we are limited to. This would greatly improve the quality and scope of the games. Generally these games appeal to the base aspects of human nature but I propose we can do better than running around in some inane seanario shooting at everything that moves and for that we need a better system to play better game programs on.
m
l
May 31, 2012 7:06:20 PM

Maybe a game dedicated PC that console games as well as PC games can be played on. There are xbox and PS3 (as well as earlier versions) that can not be played due to your your specific system. So unless you buy all the systems, you will be limited.
Maybe connecting the console to one's computer so it's a software issue would allow more versility.
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:52:46 PM

ngrego said:
The xbox 360 has an on board GPU so there is nothing you can do to change that. Even if you did have the technical know-how to swao out the graphics chip, the mobo would probably not know what it is as drivers are pre-installed for the gpu on it. Also you would have to use a chip that has the same pin format as the one in use.
Since the PS3 offers the possibility to install a linux OS on it (or it used to) you may be able to hack a new gpu driver onto it. But still, there's no way around the GPU chip itself.
I know, it really sucks, but what can you do... you basically get what you pay for.
Try building a pc whith $300 bucks that will run Diablo... :D 

build a Pc for $300 or les is Ezy to do so you can play D3 at med to heigh lvl
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:50:11 PM

Wrong. Diablo isn't very graphic, processor, memory, or well anything intensive. It's only on pc because of the way plays. Because Diablo has that over the head, click to move gameplay, it would be impossible to conceive on any concole. The same can be said for Tribes Ascend. Consoles are capable of playing those graphics and physics and such, but it's just too fast for an analog stick to handle.
m
l
March 22, 2014 6:51:33 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Uhh I heard the N64 is upgradeable...lol.

yay i can upgrade my n64 now! im gonna look this up
m
l
!