Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is EVGA Gtx 680 SuperClocked worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 23, 2012 1:18:12 PM

hello Tomshardware users,

Yesterday i bought a gtx 680 evga SC(not +) from a store for 549$, they only had 1 superclocked and one regular (529$), and they had a gtx 670 Gigabyte for 429$, the reason i posted this thread because im confused should i return the SC version and get the regular one because i heard it had stability issues,

whatsoeever im confused should i return it or not, i really dont know what to do and money isnt an issue, what do you think i should do, i know the sc is not much of an overclock but oh well.

and thanks for your time.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 1:25:06 PM

I would say keep it.Unless that store has a MSI Twin Frozr GTX680.

I've heard that EVGA is good about the RMA and general customer service.They also have that trade up program which can come in handy.
May 23, 2012 1:35:54 PM

purple stank said:
I would say keep it.Unless that store has a MSI Twin Frozr GTX680.

I've heard that EVGA is good about the RMA and general customer service.They also have that trade up program which can come in handy.


thanks for the reply, but RMA is a big hassle for me, and shipping to there place well at least cost 100$, so thats why im a bit paranoid about the sc.
Related resources
May 23, 2012 1:40:27 PM

yeah and i was thinking if i wanted to sli in the future wouldn't finding a sc version hard.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 1:49:31 PM

I don't really understand EVGA's marketing with those SC and SOC cards(or any other companies O.C. versions).What I hear good about them though is that they bin chips for their cards.Which is good for O.C.ing.My only problem with EVGA is that they don't use very good heatsinks.That's why I would suggest returning it and going for another card just based on the heatsink alone.

What other versions of the GTX680 are available for you?
May 23, 2012 9:34:28 PM

hello im back, they only had these gtx 680.
a c 212 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:45:06 PM

The SOC (6 phase design if I recall correctly), as I recall doesn't have the 8 phase VRM design that the EVGA FTW version and the Asus DCII TOP have .... so to my mind, I can't see paying extra for it.
a c 535 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:45:51 PM

The EVGA mini-recall was for an early batch of GTX 670's. People who bought the Superclock version got For the Win versions in return, which is an upgrade.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:53:57 PM

Now the SC version is discontinued and replaced by the ftw version
May 23, 2012 9:54:11 PM

i think im going to return it right now and get the base model, thanks for your help guys, im going after 30mins any last thoughts.
May 23, 2012 9:54:40 PM

timarp000 said:
Now the SC version is discontinued and replaced by the ftw version


This is the 680 not 670.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 10:06:48 PM

Don't go for the base model.Go for an aftermarket solution.If your buying a top of the line card like the GTX680 it's really something you should look into.Even if your not O.C.ing the aftermarket heatsink will extend the lifespan by keeping it cooler and it will be much quiter.

Just out of curiosity what are the rest of your system specs?(CPU,RAM.etc.)
May 23, 2012 10:09:36 PM

purple stank said:
Don't go for the base model.Go for an aftermarket solution.If your buying a top of the line card like the GTX680 it's really something you should look into.Even if your not O.C.ing the aftermarket heatsink will extend the lifespan by keeping it cooler and it will be much quiter.

Just out of curiosity what are the rest of your system specs?(CPU,RAM.etc.)


i have

CPU i5 3570k
MOBO Asus z77 Pro
Ram 8GB Corsair 1600
SSD SAMSUNG 830 256GB
1tb Black

but i read good reviews about the base model in newegg!
May 23, 2012 10:30:06 PM

guys they only have 1 Gtx 680 Base model, should i go buy it.
May 23, 2012 11:23:51 PM

and how is the evga sc cooling. i well be using a haf x or 600t
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 11:31:09 PM

It is your purchase so in the end it comes down to what you feel is right for you.We are here just to provide suggestions.Personally I would rather go with an aftermarket cooling solution than a blower style fan.
May 23, 2012 11:54:24 PM

man *** it im keeping the sc, its already a pain in the ass to find one, but last question can i sli a sc version with the regular.
May 24, 2012 12:27:19 AM

purple stank said:
It is your purchase so in the end it comes down to what you feel is right for you.We are here just to provide suggestions.Personally I would rather go with an aftermarket cooling solution than a blower style fan.


You know what, i well be keeping the sc its really hard to find and can i sli it with a regular 680
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 4:36:12 PM

Yes you can but know that the faster card will be downclocked to meet the speeds of the slower card.But you can always O.C.
!