Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Installation of Accelero Xtreme 7970 on HIS Radeon 6950 2gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 23, 2012 2:17:22 PM

I recently purchased an aftermarket GPU cooler for my HIS Radeon 6950 2gb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Cooler

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-587.shtml - GPU

I have been assured directly by the manufacturer that it is definitely compatible:

"I have checked with our engineering team and they have confirmed that the HIS HD6950 2GB H695FN2G2M is compatible with our Accelero Xtreme 7970. Therefore, you should not have any problem with the installation."

They also sent me a .PDF manual with installation instructions which is very helpful. My only concern is that the instruction manual uses an actual 7970 in the diagrams for installation.

I am confident in every step except for locating and placement of the heat sinks on the proper components. I know where the memory chips are (those are easy), but the other circuit components I am unsure of. There are also 'insulation strips' or something like that needing to be stuck on between rows of circuitry, and I am also unsure of the placement.

Could someone please assist me in identifying the proper components that need a heat sink attached? Also any tips for installation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best solution

May 23, 2012 2:41:00 PM
Share

Hi

Here's an image of a reference HD6950 PCB, I've highlighted in red the area's needed to be cooled (VRM's, Memory Chips and GPU Core)



Hope that helps
May 23, 2012 7:17:53 PM

This is fantastic help thank you! As far as the insulation strips go, are they necessary? The diagram I have in the instructions show that they should be placed in between the right hand rows you have highlighted, is this indeed the case?
Related resources
May 23, 2012 7:57:05 PM

Hi

The insulation strips or thermal pads are designed to transfer the heat between the VRM's and the main body of the heatsink. If the VRM's (highlighted on the right hand side) don't make contact with the heatsink with the addition of the insulation strips then I would recommend using the smaller heatsinks (Pictured below) without the insulation strips.

May 23, 2012 8:17:52 PM

I don't think that's quite it - it's not the thermal compound/paste but it's a small strip that looks like it lays between the two rows of VRMs (not on top), and the instructions quote:

"Application of insulation tape on components as it may cause short circuit by RAM and VR heat sink interference"

Are they saying that I should put this non-conductive insulation tape over any exposed circuitry components near where the heat sinks are to be installed so they will not touch and short the card? I would think this scenario would be unlikely with proper installation of the heat sinks but best to be on the conservative side?
May 23, 2012 8:18:26 PM

Best answer selected by defever3.
May 23, 2012 8:33:19 PM

defever3 said:
I don't think that's quite it - it's not the thermal compound/paste but it's a small strip that looks like it lays between the two rows of VRMs (not on top), and the instructions quote:

"Application of insulation tape on components as it may cause short circuit by RAM and VR heat sink interference"

Are they saying that I should put this non-conductive insulation tape over any exposed circuitry components near where the heat sinks are to be installed so they will not touch and short the card? I would think this scenario would be unlikely with proper installation of the heat sinks but best to be on the conservative side?


The instructions don't seem clear at all, from what you have quoted it seems like AC want you to apply the tape to the components (of which I would consider the RAM chips, VRMs and GPU) which doesn't make any sense to me as applying a heatsink directly to a component wouldn't cause a short

Also on their website they say:
"The Accelero Xtreme 7970 comes with the non-conductive G-1 thermal glue which is used to affix RAM and VR heatsinks on the VGA board. It is especially formulated to offer excellent thermal conductivity with long-lasting adhesiveness of over 10 years. Moreover, removing the G-1 is as easy as removing a thermal tape."

So they want you to affix the heatsinks with their included glue, but also apply insulation tape to the same components? :heink: 

Or maybe that the heatsink's may overhang the components and touch part of the PCB? Its unclear to me, I would contact AC again to clarify.
May 23, 2012 8:35:45 PM

Also, I notice there are a few additional components on the far right of the board pic you posted for me that look similar to those highlighted (ex. R23's and another small chip that looks fairly isolated). Do those need heat sinks applied as well?
May 23, 2012 8:38:57 PM

It looks as though from the image:

1. The insulation strips are designed to cover the PCB and protect from a short there, not the components
2. The G-1 is the thermal compound/paste that is supposed to be used to affix the heat sinks (NOT the insulation strips - those look to be used for purely protective reason)
3. They need to hire better translators :/ 

Thanks again for your help, much obliged
May 23, 2012 8:40:20 PM

defever3 said:
Also, I notice there are a few additional components on the far right of the board pic you posted for me that look similar to those highlighted (ex. R23's and another small chip that looks fairly isolated). Do those need heat sinks applied as well?


If you have spare heatsinks it wouldn't hurt to apply them, however the R23's your referring to don't require active cooling.
May 23, 2012 8:44:39 PM

defever3 said:
It looks as though from the image:

1. The insulation strips are designed to cover the PCB and protect from a short there, not the components
2. The G-1 is the thermal compound/paste that is supposed to be used to affix the heat sinks (NOT the insulation strips - those look to be used for purely protective reason)
3. They need to hire better translators :/ 

Thanks again for your help, much obliged


In the instructions are they using a HD7970 as an example? Or are they saying for any compatible graphics card use the insulation strips?

I wish I could find a downloadable PDF of the instructions.
May 23, 2012 8:48:54 PM

They are using a 7970 as a reference model in the instruction manual, and it is rather vague as to whether the strips are intended only for 7970 or all compatible models.

I had to request the manual from the Support staff (its only 2 pages and also poorly translated), I could send you in an email if you'd like? (Unsure how to post an image in the thread itself)
May 23, 2012 9:00:09 PM

I would apply insulation tape in the area highlighted in blue, just to be on the safe side



EDIT: I've got a copy of the instructions and I'm still confused, the picture in the instructions shows insulation tape being placed either side of the VRM's where-as kitguru placed insulation tape on the opposite side of the VRM banks...

If I were, and if AC supplied enough insulation tape I'd apply it to the blue area highlighted above and in-between the VRM banks as poorly shown in the instructions.
June 29, 2012 1:01:37 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi

Here's an image of a reference HD6950 PCB, I've highlighted in red the area's needed to be cooled (VRM's, Memory Chips and GPU Core)

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1374/gpud.jpg

Hope that helps


Hey I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say thank you for your help. Installation went off without a hitch, dropped my idle temps 20c and full load rarely hits above 70c (would previously hit 90c+ within about 60 seconds).

Turns out HIS did a real shotty job on their stock cooling - I pulled it open and there was no thermal conduction on the processor (no paste, no pads, nothing), there were no heat sinks on the RAM, it was a mess.

I learned a lot about video cards because of this, and didn't end up destroying my $230 card. Thanks!
!