Solved

Which of these two Video cards is better for BF3 ????

My Son is ordering the parts for me to build his computer.

My last question that I need help with is the video card. Keep in mind that playing BF3 is the thing that is the most important for now.

The 570 costs a little more, and it does have 280 more megs of ram the the Ti card.

The Ti card seems to have higher core clocks and I just dont know which aspects are more important when it comes to
shader clocks and cuda cores and other differences, so that is why Im coming here to ask for help in
which one of these two cards would you get. Eventually he can buy two of them and run in SLI mode and I thought
the 560 Ti would run the game really nice for now with one care and then a few weeks down the road he could
add another card for SLI and run in Ultra settings.

He could not find a place in California near Oceanside willing to build him the computer using the parts list specified and one guy offered ( home job, not storefront )
to build it for 140 bucks with no warranty at all. I told Dan to ask newegg for a package deal. If your buying everything from one place and you want it all
shipped in one large box at the same time, they it should be cheaper then mailing all at different times in different boxes. They only wanted 12 bucks to ship the
case, which is the largest and most heavy object and many of the parts ship for free anyway.


Thank you so much for all of the help that you have given so far, I really appreciate it as being 57 and having built 6 PC's back in the day, I have just not kept up
with the technology of anything past Pent 4 cpu's and the days of Front Side Buss being very important and now I rely on you younger kids to help me out.


The following is the specs on the two cards with the info about cuda cores and core clocks, ect........


EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ((( $214 after rebate )))

Chipset Manufacturer:
NVIDIA

Core Clock:
850 Mhz (v.s. 822 Mhz reference)

Shader Clock:
1700 Mhz (v.s. 1645 Mhz reference)

CUDA Cores:
384

Effective Memory Clock:
4104 Mhz (v.s. 4000 Mhz reference)

DirectX:
DirectX 11

OpenGL:
OpenGL 4.1

HDMI:
1 x mini HDMI


********************************************************************************************************************************


EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ((( $259 with rebate )))
one point two eight gigs of mem instead of just one gig of mem in the other card.

Chipset Manufacturer:
NVIDIA

Core Clock:
732MHz

Shader Clock:
1464MHz

CUDA Cores:
480

Effective Memory Clock:
3800MHz

DirectX:
DirectX 11

OpenGL:
OpenGL 4.1

HDMI:
1 x mini HDMI


Thank you for looking at the specs and telling me which of the two lifetime warranty video cards is better for BF3

He will buy a second card for SLI down the road aways so it will help with the game then, but he wants to order all of
the parts tonight and I told him the video card decision was an important one and to give me one more day to ask
on here as I know many know a lot more then I do.

Thank you for your help with this info about core clocks and shaders and all of the other stuff that is important to BF3 game.
32 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which video cards
  1. Best answer
    The 570 is the better of the two cards. I don't really know enough about the minor details between core clocks, shaders, cuda cores, etc to really explain it in detail myself. Fortunately, I have an easy way to show you the general gist of what I think you're looking for.

    First of all the 570 is the direct price-point step up from the 560 TI, the 560 (non-TI) comes before it, then steps down to the 550 TI.

    If you check out this link, and scroll down about halfway, you can see for Battlefield 3 the GTX 570 (blue) is clearly better for BF3 in several resolutions than the 560 TI (Black)

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=547
  2. I am usually an Nvidia fan, as I have gone through a 560 and now a 670. However, I would say for the performance you are looking for, an AMD radeon 7850 would be a better option. The nvidia cards that you mentioned are a generation older, and as a result are not as efficient and do not have the better price/performance ration. The 7850 will match the 570 which is the better of the nvidia options and cost less. It will also consume less power and has a lot of overclocking headroom.
  3. Well, as a general rule, yes 7850s in my opinion are better than GTX 570s, but since the OP said BF3 is the highest priority in terms of gaming, Battlefield 3 is one game that has its graphics specifically optimized for Nvidia cards. As such BF3 is pretty much the only game that the 7850 doesn't do better than the 560 TI and 570 in.
  4. Best answer selected by ctguy1955.
  5. Thank you both so much !!!!!!!!!! I told my son to order the 570 and I hope newegg will ship everything in one box and give him a deal on the shipping.

    Thank you so much for your help and its really only BF3 that he does care about at this point. I have a 580 card and I play on ultra for most settings, but not all, and I use a 60 degree FOV so I can see the little guys from far away cuz Im 57 and my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

    My son got to fire the Barrett in Afghanistan and the Pink mist thing was just like a video game to him. He gets kicked from so many servers because he plays so well and everyone thinks he is cheating, but he just learns the maps and knows where to hide and plays so much better then I can.

    I really appreciate the fast response, and I am brand loyal, I only buy EVGA cards, no one elses. I almost considered a ASUS video card, but the lifetime warranty of the EVGA always gets me. I dont know if other companies offer that option ???
    ( the evga card has to have the AR designation on it for lifetime warranty )
  6. nekulturny said:
    Well, as a general rule, yes 7850s in my opinion are better than GTX 570s, but since the OP said BF3 is the highest priority in terms of gaming, Battlefield 3 is one game that has its graphics specifically optimized for Nvidia cards. As such BF3 is pretty much the only game that the 7850 doesn't do better than the 560 TI and 570 in.


    It is true that nvidia tends to be better optimized for BF3, however, the higher the settings get, the more the 7850 pulls ahead of the 560 ti and eventually the 570. The 7850 has 2GB of VRAM which is vital for a game like bf3 the higher the settings go and the higher the resolution. The 570 would be bottlenecked when sli'd unless he got a higher vram version, which would be a bit more expensive.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-6.html
  7. You're welcome.

    Well, as far as EVGA, I agree they probably are the best Nvidia card producers. Asus is pretty good, Asus also happens to be probably the best motherboard manufacturer. Zotac, and MSI also do video cards pretty well. The lifetime warranty is tempting, the only problem with that is, the way technology advances so fast, a video card today 5 years from now is pretty much best used as a brick. :lol:

    Quote:
    He gets kicked from so many servers because he plays so well and everyone thinks he is cheating, but he just learns the maps and knows where to hide and plays so much better then I can.


    LOL, I get kicked for sucking! Well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but definitely my significant other is the better gamer between us. Last time Max was really hardcore into the first person shooter multiplayer, he was using a sniper rifle as if it were an assault rifle just keep himself from getting bored.
  8. roadkill922 said:
    It is true that nvidia tends to be better optimized for BF3, however, the higher the settings get, the more the 7850 pulls ahead of the 560 ti and eventually the 570. The 7850 has 2GB of VRAM which is vital for a game like bf3 the higher the settings go and the higher the resolution. The 570 would be bottlenecked when sli'd unless he got a higher vram version, which would be a bit more expensive.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-6.html

    Interesting, I hadn't seen that bench before.
  9. Intel i5 3570k: $230
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-Intel-_-19116504

    Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO HSF: $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=1ki3rwmb1hvea

    ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard $145
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131837

    EVGA 012-P3-1571-RX GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130699 $249


    Corsair 2x4GB DDR1600 RAM $47
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233202&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Memory+%28Desktop+Memory%29-_-Corsair-_-20233202


    CM Storm sniper Case $150
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119194


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 Revised SSD hard drive (july 12th 2012)
    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)


    Lite On DVD Burner iHAS324-99 $22
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106378&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=80a6xwfltrrt

    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

    ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4 4 gram (g) All-Around Thermal Compound
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038 10 bucks

    Operating System OS Win 7 64 bit 100 bucks ?


    The above is the final build parts that Dan is ordering. I did my very best to
    try to get him the best system for playing BF3 that I could. He will buy another
    570 or sell his and upgrade to a 6oo series a few months down the road.

    thanks so much with your help with the video card solution !!!
  10. I will tell Dan about the BF3 chart, he wont be ordering until later tonight in California but I really do appreciate all of the help.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 148-6.html He just does not want to spend the high end more money right now, and I tried my best to keep it at
    1200 bucks for his system.
  11. Its a pretty nice setup picked out. I'm not too keen on the case, but thats largely a personal choice I suppose. What do you think he'd think about an NZXT Phantom?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068

    They are avaiable in other colors with trims. I have this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146079

    Only "catch" is, they're bigger than the pictures make them seem. They're full tower cases with 5x 5.25inch bays, don't let the pictures fool you.
  12. I screwed up and put the wrong video card on my above list, I want a 1571 AR one....
  13. nekulturny said:
    Its a pretty nice setup picked out. I'm not too keen on the case, but thats largely a personal choice I suppose. What do you think he'd think about an NZXT Phantom?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068

    They are avaiable in other colors with trims. I have this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146079

    Only "catch" is, they're bigger than the pictures make them seem. They're full tower cases with 5x 5.25inch bays, don't let the pictures fool you.



    So many cases to choose from !!! I cant make out the top fan on the photo, is it a 120mm or the really big one ???
    I have a Antec 900 two ( older version from 2 years ago when it only had 2.0 USB ) and because I did not know
    if the new 3.0 usb version for 100 bucks had changed the design on the dust filters where on mine you have
    to remove the front and back panels and then remove 16 screws to pull out bays and remover dust filters,
    I just did not want my son going through all of that. Thermaltake and so many companies make so
    many great cases now. Its a very subjective thing. I love toms hardware for their advice but especially the
    nice people on the forums who are not trolls and really care.
  14. Can you please tell me why you dont like that case ??? Im curious ?
  15. My biggest objection to the Storm Sniper is merely that while CoolerMaster makes decent computer cases, I just don't think that one is worth $150. CoolerMaster often cuts corners like skimping on finish painting, cheaper feeling wires, etc.

    As far as what the top fan is in the NZXT Phantom, it has 2 bays for two 200mm fans, however it only comes with one in the top and its setup for negative airflow (exhaust), which is ideal. It has 2 tiny fans down by the hard drives on the side panel (I think 120mm) and a rear exhaust fan 120mm to draw air out where the CPU would be. So if you used an aftermarket CPU cooler, ideally, you'd want to have it pushing air in that direction so the rear fan can draw the hot air out of the case.

    The Phantom also has a 5 way fan speed controller, although as it is shipped, only 3 of the 5 channels are used. They also ship with 2 front USB ports, 1 is a USB 2.0, the 2nd is a USB 3.0, also it has an e-sata port.

    As far as the overall feel of the Phantom, its very nice, high quality heavy plastic for the top and front bezel. And working in the case, like I said, its a lot bigger (at least to me) in person than it looked in the pictures. I knew it was a full tower case when I ordered it, but until the fedex guy dropped it off, I didn't appreciate how big it really is from the pictures.

    As far as removing the dust filters on this case, its simple slide out, completely tool-less.
  16. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

    So the size of my computers top fan is 200mm, I think I mentioned 120 but
    that was wrong.

    They just dont mention the new 3.0 usb one listed here as having changed
    the dust screens in the front, so I stayed away this time. I like that
    yours has easy access to your screens.
  17. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116713

    Can this be ordered and installed on a computer with no OS ????
  18. I hope Dan does not have to buy the 179 dollar version to have 64 bit win 7 for an OS on his computer build..............Is the only difference that the oem version does not have support and cant be transferred to another computer ????? Id much rather buy the cheapest version I can. When I bought my Vista, it came with a free upgrade to
    win 7 and using the 32 bit serial number, I was able to install my wifes 64 bit version on my computer. Thanks for help on this if you know info !!!
  19. Oh, in answer to your question, that upgrade one you linked, cannot be used on a computer with no OS.

    This is the one you need for a new computer:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

    Yes you are correct, the difference between OEM versions is they are bound to the motherboard and cannot be transferred to another system.. They allow you to transfer a copy should the motherboard become defective, but it is my understanding, you have to jump through hoops on the phone with Microsoft should you ever change the brand and model of the mobo with an OEM license.

    I actually have an unlimited key for Windows 7 64 bit professional via Microsoft Academic Alliance (if you or anyone you know is a college student, it may be available to you as well) I'm not supposed to, but I did let a couple people use my key, unfortunately, I've installed it so many times (4 computers of my own and a couple people here) that it has to be called into Microsoft every time I install to get a validation code. So unfortunately, I can't help you out there. I know thats shady, but quite frankly, I hate Microsoft, and anything I can do to screw with them makes me happy.
  20. Make sure he gets the GTX 570 it's his lucky day it's Evga 13Th Anniversary Some good deals actually http://www.evga.com/articles/00693/ EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5GB $299.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=744370&srkey=e145-1574 P.S.BTW the GTX 570 spanks the R7850 GTX 570 is the faster card, hands-down. The 7850 uses less power,has more VRAM capacity,The GTX570 has it cons higher power usage,bottom line... IDK why so many people have said they are identical performance wise The 7870 is more or less identical to the GTX 570 in terms of performance but not the 7850. Not stock vs stock or max OC vs max OC.at least not according to these benchmarks http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/26.html You see different benchmarks will say different things test benches differ from system to another system.


    And always performance gets improved with newer driver.Another thing is members will lose their minds over what i just posted and will try and say noway tom says this blah blah blah i will ignore it though so your thread doesn't get turned into a drama queen zone. Lol...Take care,and god bless!!
  21. Quote:
    And always performance gets improved with newer driver.Another thing is members will lose their minds over what i just posted and will try and say noway tom says this blah blah blah i will ignore it though so your thread doesn't get turned into a drama queen zone. Lol...Take care,and god bless!!


    I actually don't care enough to be a drama queen about it. My opinion is that you can't go wrong picking either card. The simple fact is the 7850 performs almost as well as the 570 and has a much higher overclocking ceiling than the 570. Period. No reason to go all pre-emptive about it.

    Your own article shows the 7850 outperforming the 570 when overclocked by 3FPS,:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/29.html

    Friendly advice, if you're going to post a bench and follow up with a "fast talking guy" at the end of the commercial, you might want to thoroughly vet your source. lol
  22. nekulturny said:
    Quote:
    And always performance gets improved with newer driver.Another thing is members will lose their minds over what i just posted and will try and say noway tom says this blah blah blah i will ignore it though so your thread doesn't get turned into a drama queen zone. Lol...Take care,and god bless!!


    I actually don't care enough to be a drama queen about it. My opinion is that you can't go wrong picking either card. The simple fact is the 7850 performs almost as well as the 570 and has a much higher overclocking ceiling than the 570. Period. No reason to go all pre-emptive about it.

    Your own article shows the 7850 outperforming the 570 when overclocked by 3FPS,:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/29.html

    Friendly advice, if you're going to post a bench and follow up with a "fast talking guy" at the end of the commercial, you might want to thoroughly vet your source. lol
    :lol: no i just felt like being a ass get sick of hearing people trying to sway the 570 away for the 7850 claiming it's better than a GTX 570 when it's not :pt1cable: i have both cards and don't find the 7850 better however i agree with you that you can't go wrong with either card ;)
  23. Dan and I are all set now !! Thank you all so much for the help you have given us and I will post some photos here when I am done with the build !!!

    Just for the heck of it, I will post my build here so you can see what my son
    was playing BF3 on........and I just hope that the new build will be just as good
    if not better for bf3 then mine is !!


    CPU: Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    Speed : 2.67 GHZ (overclocked to 3.8 GHZ)
    Motherboard: ASUS P6T DELUXE V2
    Memory: 12 gigs of Corsair CM3X2G1600C9 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600
    Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 580 (1584) 3 gigs of mem
    Hard drives: "2" WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR5 (74.4GB, SATA150, 3.5", 10000rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache) : 69GB ( I have BF3 installed in a seperate partition by itself )
    "1" WDC WD7500AADS-00L5B1 (750.2GB, SATA300, 3.5", NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 699GB
    dvd:HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH20LP20 (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
    Case: Antec nine hundred two
    X-fi XtremeGamer sound card
    Creative Labs T7700 7.1 surround sound speaker system
    Zalman 9900 LCD CPU cooler ******* at least im not running a stock cooler
    Corsair TX850W Power Supply
    Cyberpoint 850 AVR LED UP
    Acer GD235 monitor ( 120 hz for 3D, and only 1920 x 1080 )
  24. I made a video of me putting the parts together and it did not blow up !!!! YEA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weeb3rnFvJk&feature=player_embedded
  25. So now Dan will look for a used 570 in California on Craigslist and hook it up in SLI
    and he will buy a 1TB WC 7200 RPM for a hundred bucks a month or so down the road. The 128 gig solid state is ok for the OS and a few games for now.

    Thank you for all your help in this build !!!!!!!!
  26. Your very welcome hope Dan enjoys his beast of a computer ;)
  27. ctguy1955 said:
    I made a video of me putting the parts together and it did not blow up !!!! YEA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weeb3rnFvJk&feature=player_embedded
    very cool :D
  28. nekulturny said:
    My biggest objection to the Storm Sniper is merely that while CoolerMaster makes decent computer cases, I just don't think that one is worth $150. CoolerMaster often cuts corners like skimping on finish painting, cheaper feeling wires, etc.

    As far as what the top fan is in the NZXT Phantom, it has 2 bays for two 200mm fans, however it only comes with one in the top and its setup for negative airflow (exhaust), which is ideal. It has 2 tiny fans down by the hard drives on the side panel (I think 120mm) and a rear exhaust fan 120mm to draw air out where the CPU would be. So if you used an aftermarket CPU cooler, ideally, you'd want to have it pushing air in that direction so the rear fan can draw the hot air out of the case.

    The Phantom also has a 5 way fan speed controller, although as it is shipped, only 3 of the 5 channels are used. They also ship with 2 front USB ports, 1 is a USB 2.0, the 2nd is a USB 3.0, also it has an e-sata port.

    As far as the overall feel of the Phantom, its very nice, high quality heavy plastic for the top and front bezel. And working in the case, like I said, its a lot bigger (at least to me) in person than it looked in the pictures. I knew it was a full tower case when I ordered it, but until the fedex guy dropped it off, I didn't appreciate how big it really is from the pictures.

    As far as removing the dust filters on this case, its simple slide out, completely tool-less.



    When I finally got the case and started putting it together, I could not believe how great the system actually is !! Its got the 200MM on the top, one 200mm in the front that has a really easy removable screen, and it has a 200MM in the side as well !!! There is a 120mm out the back and I bought and installed a 120
    in the very bottom of the bay pointing up. So with the 120mm fan on the Coolermaster CPU fan, there are a total of 6 fans !!!

    I made a video, check it out !!! The case is 24" X 24" X 12" and sure is big and heavy. Weighted 46 pounds to ship it !!!
  29. The only thing I could not get to work was the ethernet. It kept trying to act like a dial up modem, and I know Ive had that problem in the past and its because of the drivers I installed or something I hope Dan can figure out on his own. The disk had two sets of drivers for the onboard LAN and I chose one and used it. It could be the other needs to be put on. Also Asus has a utility for the lan and other new drivers and programs Dan can try out. Hope He gets it to work !! The box for the MB even has a special thing about the Lan being "easy" hookup.
  30. ctguy1955 said:
    When I finally got the case and started putting it together, I could not believe how great the system actually is !! Its got the 200MM on the top, one 200mm in the front that has a really easy removable screen, and it has a 200MM in the side as well !!! There is a 120mm out the back and I bought and installed a 120
    in the very bottom of the bay pointing up. So with the 120mm fan on the Coolermaster CPU fan, there are a total of 6 fans !!!

    I made a video, check it out !!! The case is 24" X 24" X 12" and sure is big and heavy. Weighted 46 pounds to ship it !!!

    Glad it worked out, looks pretty good!

    My guess is the problem with the LAN is the drivers. No brand new homebuilt computer will have internet right away until you install the Drivers. You can either do this from the disk that comes with the motherboard or you can download the latest drivers directly from the Asus website (which is recommended) since by the time the motherboard is bought chances are there are probably new drivers for everything already out. Once the drivers are installed and you have it hooked up to your internet it should work. I don't know why the Asus thing had 2 sets of LAN drivers, thats weird.
  31. Thank You So Much..........Now I just have to wait until next tuesday when Dan receives it in California and I hope USPS delivers it in one piece !!!
  32. So Dan received the computer in the mail, hooked it up with a hdmi cable and no go. Then he took a dvi adapter and put it on an older VGA cord and it worked just fine.

    I told dan to look up about how a dvi to dvi cable may be the best bet, but MAY run at 60 FPS where the VGA with the adapter may be running at 75 fps.

    His ethernet worked right away, as soon as he plugged it in.


    He says its just as good as playing on my computer which is what I hoped and he has not overclocked it yet or changed the FOV to 60 degrees yet either on BF3 like
    mine is. It will only get better from here.

    Thank you all so much for all your help and I really appreciate your help so much !
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Battlefield Graphics Cards Systems Product