Sign in with
Your question

Final advice on new build / compatibility?

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2012 9:10:32 PM

I have just about finished researching the components for my new build and I am interested in one final round of feedback, discussion.

For this build, I will forego an internal HDD while waiting for larger and more cost-effective SSD solutions. In the meantime, I have amble space in two external USB 3.0 drives for files/data, etc.

Also, I just bought a very nice 27" HD HDMI flatscreen, so that's not needed. Likewise, no mouse, keyboard, or thermal paste are needed.

I went a little overboard on the PSU to allow for USB peripherals that are not listed, as well as a new audio card for a music recoring hobby, other upgrades, etc.

Any final advice, comments, or recommendations for the component pairings listed below before I hit the buy button? What would you select differently and why? Thanks!

Case -- 1 Antec Sonata Series SOLO II Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MB -- 1 Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU -- 1 High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU -- 1 Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

RAM -- 1 Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0

SSD -- 1 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

DVD -- 1 ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

Case Cooling -- 2 Antec TrueQuiet 120 120mm Case Fans

CPU cooling -- 1 COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Video Card -- 1 ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

More about : final advice build compatibility

July 16, 2012 9:17:12 PM

What's the primary use for this build going to be and what's your budget?

I don't think I'd recommend that expensive of an SSD and you don't need the case fans.
m
l
July 16, 2012 9:23:40 PM

g-unit1111 said:
What's the primary use for this build going to be and what's your budget?

I don't think I'd recommend that expensive of an SSD and you don't need the case fans.

The primary usage of my new system will involve very math-intensive spreadsheet calculations for my business; calcs which take about one hour to process on an older Core 2. Also, video-intensive science applications and graphics. I will also add an m-audio sound card and some associated music-processing USB 3.0 devices for my music recording hobby in the near future once my basic system is built, up, and running with no issues.

Total budget for everything is below 3K, so I should be fine.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2012 9:48:27 PM

joseph2011 said:
The primary usage of my new system will involve very math-intensive spreadsheet calculations for my business; calcs which take about one hour to process on an older Core 2. Also, video-intensive science applications and graphics. I will also add an m-audio sound card and some associated music-processing USB 3.0 devices for my music recording hobby in the near future once my basic system is built, up, and running with no issues.

Total budget for everything is below 3K, so I should be fine.

If you're going to be processing data that's a bit more GPU intensive, a Radeon 7750 probably isn't going to get the job done. If you can put a bit more into your GPU, a 560TI will provide a bit more horsepower for that and give you CUDA for finer redraws. Ideally you'd want a Fire Pro or Quaddro for this but any decent card of that sort is going to be significantly expensive.

However I will say don't get an Intel board - they're very bland on features for the prices they offer. This would be a better board at this price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 16, 2012 9:59:10 PM

ocz ssd's have a bad rep for reliability intels 320 .. the m4 ..samsung are all better choices

agree with g unit on motherboard no need for intel when better an cheaper out there

radeon suck for crunching compared to gtx's, look at a 670.. they are newish, pcie3 (if running an ivy bridge processor) and not bad at all but 500 bux plus (australian)

to be honest the sonata 4 was a case i was first looking at for myself... i didnt get it, look at fractal r3 or xl if u like simple looking
m
l
July 16, 2012 10:50:18 PM

skaggy said:
ocz ssd's have a bad rep for reliability intels 320 .. the m4 ..samsung are all better choices

agree with g unit on motherboard no need for intel when better an cheaper out there

radeon suck for crunching compared to gtx's, look at a 670.. they are newish, pcie3 (if running an ivy bridge processor) and not bad at all but 500 bux plus (australian)

to be honest the sonata 4 was a case i was first looking at for myself... i didnt get it, look at fractal r3 or xl if u like simple looking

I have an Intel 320 and hate it - if you're counting on it for mission critical data, it's far from the best choice out there. The M4, Samsung 830, and Plextor PX-M3 would all be better choices.

The GTX 670 is a great card but it's incredibly expensive for an i7 build.
m
l
July 17, 2012 1:22:21 AM

g-unit and skaggy:

Thank you for your advice and comments. What are your perceptions of the two 670 video cards below?

EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

These will probably require me to select a higher wattage PSU instead of the 750W. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

m
l
July 17, 2012 3:43:00 AM

joseph2011 said:
g-unit and skaggy:

Thank you for your advice and comments. What are your perceptions of the two 670 video cards below?

EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

These will probably require me to select a higher wattage PSU instead of the 750W. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

I personally prefer EVGA but that's my opinion.

But you won't need a higher wattage PSU - the 670 is one of the most energy efficient GPUs ever produced, it uses 1/2 the power that its' predecessors did. That's the beauty of Keppler.
m
l
July 17, 2012 9:50:26 PM

Thanks for the advice, g-unit and all. I placed my order today for everything in the list...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/coeQ

I followed your advice on the EGVA GTX 670. I managed to get the Vertex 4 at a much lower price than what is currently listed in the URL. I considered the other SSD options that were recommended, but in the end I rolled the die for the added speed. If it crashes on me, you can say you told me so. ;-)

I also strongly considered the Gigabyte MB that you suggested, but I noticed a relatively high volume of lower ratings on the board (at least from newegg buyers), so I went with the safer Intel solution with less options.

At the last minute, I also switched out the Ballistix mem for G.Skill mem, which was also highly-rated. Ballistix was temporarily unavailable from the supplier and I didn't want to order from a different supplier only from mem. This will be my first experience with G.Skill. Hope the reviews are accurate! :-)

Thanks again to all for your advice and recs. Good info as always!

Cheers,
Joseph
m
l
!