glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I have a problem. I have a Phillips 40in flat screen with a broken coax connector. I have a computer with M4A78LT-M m/b, amd 955 black edition processor, and MSI Radeon 5770 hawk video card. A Yamaha surround with a 3064 av receiver. Is there an internal TV tuner card that I can use in my computer that I can run too TV? If so a recommendation?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes, you could use a TV Tuner card. Which one depends on the type of TV you watch.

For free Over-The-Air broadcast channels, you'd need a TV Tuner card that has an ATSC tuner.
For basic cable subscriptions (no cable set top box required), you'd need a TV tuner card that has a ClearQAM tuner.
For cable subscriptions that require a set top box, I'd probably recommend just using a different output from the set top box or getting a cablecard ready TV Tuner card to replace/augment your set top box.

Let us know which type of TV you watch and we'll make a recommendation.

-Wolf sends

glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

Yes, I would be using ATSC for broadcast over the air channels. Thnx by the way for your responses.

glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

Wanted to thank you PaPaBlista for the info you sent regarding broken coax connecter repair. The video was very enlightening and useful.

glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
P.S. I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of cracking open this TV , I have no experience whatsoever with such an endeavor but as I have little to loose at this time, (as I basically have a 40in paperweight/unneeded monitor...lol), I'm going to give it a go when I can find, hopefully, some info on how not to screw-up your 40in 800 dollar TV when cracking it open to repair a broken coax connecter. lol thanks again for your help

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Six months ago I had a monitor that only had a blinking blue light on the front and no cash to replace it, Since then I have repaired many monitors and a couple TV's and I made enough money to purchase myself a new TV. I now buy broken monitors and TVs and game consoles on Ebay.Make a little extra cash and ole papa has something to do. :D