Sign in with
Your question

(Solved) PCI express x16 x8 conundrum

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 3:30:06 PM

Hello,
so the MotherBoard im looking at says x16/0 or x8/x8,
what i want to know is that Just for Graphics Cards running in parallel or does that count for ANY pci 16 cards i use (non Graphics)
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2012 3:32:11 PM

it means if you are running a single graphics card it will receive 16 2.5gb/s lanes while when you have a dual card setup each card will receive 8 lanes so it basically splits the avaliable lanes evenly
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2012 3:39:24 PM

More importantly, x8/x8 vs. x16/x16 really doesn't matter in a real world situation
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2012 3:45:58 PM

PCIe 3.0 x8 is enough horsepower for any card currently available. PCIe 2.1 x8 will bottleneck (slightly) flagship cards from the current and previous generations.

If you put a card like a PCIe SSD in one of your x16 slots, yes, it will split the lanes. Motherboards typically have additional x1 (and occasionally x4) slots to avoid this problem.
m
l
May 23, 2012 3:50:09 PM

thanx guys,
the gfx cards part made sense it was just that i never read anywhere about anyone saying anything about using other cards and if this was a similar effect..
but i get-er now :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2012 3:54:18 PM

i bet you are looking at lga 1155 build. by the design the processor has 16 lanes for communicating between the gpu so it either gives you full for one card or half and half for both...if this makes more sense

sure you can get a lga 2011 build and it will give you 32 lanes to communicate between the cpu and gpu so yes then when you have a dual card config you will get 16 and 16 lanes giving you the "full bandwtich". it comes down to you get what you pay for. I'm super happy with my lga 1155 build I wanted a good performance for price

as mentioned above pcie 2.0 and 3.0 double the data transfers so you will not see a bottleneck when using 8x 8x as we use to see back in the days
m
l
!