You maybe saw my "Take Two" post.

I need a back-up software package. I fancy Norton Ghost. Can I just install it?
Do I need to remove all traces of other similar software?

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Norton Ghost 2001 will burn directly to CD as long as your burner is supported. Remove the older Norton Ghost if you have it to avoid any conflicts. Or just try it and find out!

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

Be wary of Norton Ghosts ability to burn to CD. I've tried it with 3 of their supported drives and as soon as you get to a second disk (if you are lucky enought to get that far at all) the program just locks up when it tries to close the session for the first CD.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I Have never had a problem with it and used it with three different burners flawlessly! An HP, Pilips, and a Plextor.

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

Majeskty

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Remember with Ghost that this is a DOS piece of software. To do a good Image you need everything shut down and not run from Windows. You can restore single files from Windows from the Images created using Ghostwalker. You will need a bootdisk with all drivers for your drives that you wish to use with Ghost. The default drivers for cd-rom's from MS-Win98 that is put on the bootdisk is all you need for the cd-burner.

I have Ghost 2001 as part of Norton SystemWorks Profession (bundled together). I have a Jaz 2 gig drive that I make one set of hard drive images. Then I have a spare HD that I make a mid month backup image for a 2nd set.

When I first tried to use a cd-rw I burned 3 or 4 disks then I had a buffer underrun or something that caused it to error. Then I never did do it again with the cd-burner. I do believe it would work but is slow, imaging to the spare HD is the fastest, Jaz drive second, cd-burner the slowest. But it has worked when a driver install has cause serious problems. Takes about 35 mintues with fast compression and 6.8 gigs of data going to the spare HD. Then maybe 5 mintues longer to restore. The first time you are going all that time NOT TO INSTALL SOFTWARE. You can also change your partition size's before the image being restored. Decrease one partition add that to another. Really slick.

Best of luck
James