Sign in with
Your question

Power Gaming PC $1400

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2012 10:01:21 PM

First I want to thank everyone here because my last two builds have been tweaked here and they've both went great. It's why I keep coming back everytime I need a new build.

This time around I want a powerful pure gaming PC. I want to future proof this as best as possible without breaking the bank or paying +100% for only +10% gains in performance. I know the next round of consoles will be here next year but I'd like this thing take me a few years into the next gen. With that in mind, here's what I've come up with so far. Any part is optional as far as I'm concerned if you guys know of something better.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month

Budget Range: $1400 max

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Pure, Pure Gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Nothing. This is a clean build, all new parts.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.

Parts Preferences: Anything but Seagate for HDDs.

Overclocking: If it's easy, yes. Any tips here would be apperciated.

SLI or Crossfire: Possibly later on.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p, I might also do a dual monitor setup eventually as well.

Additional Comments: I want you guys to tear my build apart. I have no pride in my build. I just want the best possible one.

Why Are You Upgrading: The current console gen is just dragging on far too long. I want to get ahead of the curve on next gen and still not have an obsolete system in 3 years.

Here's the parts:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 $59.99
I prefer smaller cases while not crippling myself on parts or struggling to build it. The ability to remove drive bays to make space for bigger cards was very appealing. All while being half the price of the 922 and 3.4" shorter.

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular $59.99 after MIR
Modular is an absolute requirement for me and with the MIR this simply seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I realize that if I want to SLI later on I'm going to need to buy a new power supply; but why spend double the price now when I'm not going to be doing it for at least a couple years?

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 $124.99
Appears to be pretty solid at a good price.

CPU: Intel i5-3570 IB $229.99
You know why

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO $29.99 After MIR
Good price and heard nothing but good things about this cooler

GPU: EVGA GTX 670 4GB $484.99
Obviously the hardest choice I made in this build. I went with the 4GB version because I've already heard stories of some people hitting the upper limits of VRAM on Skyrim and BF3 at 2GB. I realize this gain isn't as much today, but I'm thinking in 18 months maybe this choice will justify itself. I'm not looking to upgrade my graphics card for at least 3 years if not more. But I also don't want to break my bank getting a 680 for little to no performance gains.

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw X 4GBx2 $46.99
Great price, great ram.

Storage: Western Digital Black 1TB $119.99
5 year warranty, still doesn't break the bank. I don't need a ton of storage since I have a media computer already with all my music and movies on it. This computer will be strictly about the games.

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD $89.99 after MIR
I'm also flirting with the idea of getting a SSD for this build. I'm honestly on the fence about this. While I like the idea of a SSD, the only gains I'd really see are on bootup and application lauch. Since this is dedicated gaming I don't know if the SSD would be worth it right now, or if it'd be better to hold off a year or two until prices come down even more on SSDs. Yes or not on this one guys?

Drive: LG Cheapo DVD read/burner $16.99

Monitor: Acer 23" 1080p LCD $139.99
This seems like a highly rated monitor at a good price.

Total: $1403.89.

The two real places I can see myself cutting back would be on the GPU and getting the 2GB version which would save me $85, and not getting the SSD which would save me $90 and would put the total at $1228.89.

So what do you guys think?

More about : power gaming 1400

July 16, 2012 10:11:55 PM

dont go ocz for ssd, intel, crucial, samsung all better

would look at radeon for gpu, the one you listed is in the post for me but i dont game, i render
July 16, 2012 11:34:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. That just pushes me further down the path of saving my money for a SSD until later.

Is there a specific reason I should look at AMD over Nvidia for GPU?
Related resources
July 16, 2012 11:44:28 PM

No, get an SSD now before you build so you don't have to hassle with transfering. Any new custom PC really should have an SSD at this point.
I think the advice was just don't get the ocz one.
The crucial m4 is cheap and considered more reliable (it's what i put in my computer).
Then for the same price, you can switch the HDD to a slower but larger 2TB green HDD.

GPU yes, this is the big part of the budget, and there are a couple schools of thought.
A) Buy the best now and just don't worry about it.

B) Or buy $200 worth of video card and play your games now (and spend $200 again in a couple years to either sli it or replace your obsolete card with something more powerful).

Either option has their points, it depends if there is a killer game right now which you think you really need $484 worth of video card to enhance enjoyably (or if the extra processing power brings nothing to the gameplay).

Given this, don't neglect your monitor. most people see this as an after thought, but that's really your interface with your computer.
You WILL have more productivity spending $200 on another monitor over getting a few more FPS.
I haven't researched monitors in some time, but don't sell yourself short on monitors either. For once, this is an area that will not become obsolete as fast as the rest of your build, so spend your dollars confidently there (i spent $500 on dell 2410 monitor, and it has paid off more/lasted longer than spending that cash on video cards )..
July 16, 2012 11:45:06 PM

Mythrol said:
Thanks for the advice. That just pushes me further down the path of saving my money for a SSD until later.

Is there a specific reason I should look at AMD over Nvidia for GPU?

ive only owned one nvidia card, and I didnt have any problems with it, i keep thinking i want to switch back to nvidia, but i always find myself going for the AMD bang for your buck.
its really just personal choice, niether cards are going to have much different performance, ati is just normally cheaper.
July 17, 2012 2:20:35 AM

Thanks for the responses. I didn't really think about the monitor aspect. That's a really good point. It seems I might have to increase my budget some. lol
!