Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Replacing my Geforce 9500GT

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 23, 2012 3:36:09 PM

Hi I'm planning to upgrade from my NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, im a casual gamer, just want a good upgrade from my 9500 GT video card, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, im not into the high end cards which costs $500 or more. my budget is anywhere less thank $200. I also prefer small sized video card since my tower is kinda small. And also my pc is not that good, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core Duo processor E5200
2.53GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, EM64T, Execute Disable Bit
MOBO: BostonL-GL6
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800Mhz
PCI One (One available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
PCI Express x1 Two (One available)
PSU: 300
Resolution: 1600x900

I prefer Nvidia Geforce card and I dont plan on investing on upgrading my ram or my psu or anything else, just need to have an upgrade from my current GPU. Thank you in advance!

More about : replacing geforce 9500gt

a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 3:42:02 PM

i would suggest getting amd 7750, nvidia currently doesnt have new low power graphics cards unless you want to buy 1 year old technology
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 3:59:52 PM

for an hd 7750 u'll need a 400w psu. It clearly says on amd website. I think u must upgrade ur psu. U didn't tell ur psu is of which brand
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 4:04:43 PM

Looks like a boutique computer. That PSU might be a problem. So long as the video card you upgrade to doesn't draw more power than the 9500GT, you're fine. I definitely wouldn't try anything more power hungry, though.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 4:11:15 PM

it doesnt require additional pcie 6 pins so it will work my friend has one in his 350w box :p 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 4:12:34 PM

UAhmed said:
for an hd 7750 u'll need a 400w psu. It clearly says on amd website. I think u must upgrade ur psu. U didn't tell ur psu is of which brand


do not use the website for accurate psu requirements. they only highly rate the psu requirement so that there would be no way the card can be screwed up. it is possible to run a 7750 on a 250w, assuming the 250w is of at least decent quality


basically OP, you have 2 choices:

stick with 7750 because its the strongest choice without a 6 pin power cord.
dedicate ~60ish dollars on a good psu, and using the rest of the budget on a gpu.
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 4:41:57 PM

dudewitbow said:
do not use the website for accurate psu requirements. they only highly rate the psu requirement so that there would be no way the card can be screwed up. it is possible to run a 7750 on a 250w, assuming the 250w is of at least decent quality


basically OP, you have 2 choices:

stick with 7750 because its the strongest choice without a 6 pin power cord.
dedicate ~60ish dollars on a good psu, and using the rest of the budget on a gpu.


so how do we know what is the exact psu requirements???
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 4:45:16 PM

UAhmed said:
so how do we know what is the exact psu requirements???

Testing. I've seen detailed figures on power draw from both Tom's and AnandTech. Others probably do it too.

You can also infer a lot from whether or not the card has external connectors. If it doesn't have any, it has to get all its power through the slot. The slot provides at most 75W for PCIe 1.0/1.1, and 2.0/2.1/3.0 provide 150W. So, that gives you a firm upper bound on some cards.
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 4:54:47 PM

i've used a 7750 on several 300w power supplies and they ran fine. if you want to try it go ahead, but it works fine for me.
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 9:19:46 PM

thanks! question about the HD 7750 according to the site it requires PCI Express 3.0 x16 bus interface, I only have PCI Express x16 bus interface, will this still work?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 10:16:16 PM

jampolulala said:
thanks! question about the HD 7750 according to the site it requires PCI Express 3.0 x16 bus interface, I only have PCI Express x16 bus interface, will this still work?


all pci slots are backwards compatible. so the gpu will force itself onto a pci express 1.0 x16 level
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 10:40:22 PM

jampolulala said:
by the way this is exactly my pc:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

regarding the PSU brand, it does not indicate there so i have no idea :( 

Planning to get the HD 7750 hopefully it works out. thank yall!



only way to be sure is pop open your case, and take a picture of the rail's amperage sticker
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 11:22:10 PM

as a cheaper alternative, will a nvidia geforce GT440 have a noticeable upgrade from the 9500 GT? :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 2:19:29 AM

I'd go with the 7750. It's not powerful enough to be bottlenecked (maybe a tiny, tiny bit), and it doesn't use enough power to be at risk of being too much for your PSU.

Looks like a good buy to me.
m
0
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 4:54:56 AM

UAhmed said:
so how do we know what is the exact psu requirements???

The exact can only be done thru actual measurement. But if you just want an estimate, here is a useful tool:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 6:08:39 PM

Go for it!
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 12:52:11 AM

New Generation - HD 7750

Old Generation - GTX 550 Ti, HD 6750, GT 540

And that's what your choice is but you might have to get 400-500W though. A HD 6670 works nice with a 300W. But your choice man, good luck. And I would go with the new generation, should last you for a couple of years or more if your a casual gamer. Good luck. =)
m
0
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 1:30:13 PM

I think they come out the same even in terms of accessories. So I guess the cheaper Sapphire wins.

But maybe you want to consider which suits your motherboard & case aesthetically. For example, I do have a case with red paint inside so in this case, I will get the red powercolor. But that is me. :) 
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 2:18:15 PM

by the way is it true that HD7750 only runs on Windows 7? read it somewhere. :( 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 2:34:37 PM

jampolulala said:
by the way is it true that HD7750 only runs on Windows 7? read it somewhere. :( 

No. It just doesn't support Windows XP. Expect that to be more and more common. The operating system is 11 years old. There is no good reason to stick with Windows XP. People who do are being irrational, and anyone who tells you to knows a lot less than they think they do.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 2:47:55 PM

willard said:
No. It just doesn't support Windows XP. Expect that to be more and more common. The operating system is 11 years old. There is no good reason to stick with Windows XP. People who do are being irrational, and anyone who tells you to knows a lot less than they think they do.


Thank you! Im currently using Windows Vista 32-bit, so it means I'm ok? LOL :) 
m
0
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 1:38:54 AM

The 250W is quite limited but there is a review that states the test system that have the 7750 on it draws 216W on load:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-r...
But note that such measurement is specific to the test system & graphics card model being tested. You have to decide if your system is less than that.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 5:05:09 AM

randomkid said:
The 250W is quite limited but there is a review that states the test system that have the 7750 on it draws 216W on load:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-r...
But note that such measurement is specific to the test system & graphics card model being tested. You have to decide if your system is less than that.


His system will use less than that. The test system in those benchmarks uses an A8-3850, a 100w part.
the core duo he's using is a 65w part.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 2:38:34 PM

Just got my Sapphire HD 7750 today, brought my base score from 4.5 to 5.4, im enjoying my games more, i think its worth it. Thank you guys! :D 
m
0
l