Sign in with
Your question

New build opinions needed. gamign pc

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2012 10:11:25 PM

How long will this built last me in future gaming until i need an upgrade?

cpu: phenom ii 965
Ram: ddr2 800 4gb
gpu: hd 6850
psu: 700watt
mobo: asrock a770de+
resolution: 1600:900

Right now my pc played every game i thrown at it but hopefully this computer will last me the next 1-1 1/2 years before needing a major upgrade. I realize my cpu is holding me back in games at times like sonic generations wth!
July 16, 2012 10:16:55 PM

about a fortnight to be honest, its pretty low end amd are dead, save the cash for an i5
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2012 10:21:07 PM

skaggy said:
about a fortnight to be honest, its pretty low end amd are dead, save the cash for an i5

No.. its not.. *smack* Phenom II 965s are still very competent CPUs for gaming in 2012. Considering my overclocked Phenom II Cinebenches higher than my i5-2300 @2.8 and cost about $40 less than the i5...

-----

Anyway.. That computer as configured while not ideal, mainly because of the older motherboard and DDR2 RAM, and entry level video card. It should be fine to last you another year or two, but really this depends on your expectations. If you're planning on maxing out Battlefield 3 in 1080 its not happening with that setup of course. But it should play a mid settings just fine.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2012 10:25:17 PM

skaggy said:

Well i've been kicking my self in the ass ever since i build this pc. I went with AMD cause they were cheaper and didn't realize how far behind they are from intil. Which i started out with and athlonx3 455 then upgraded to this phenom ii which i'm not really unhappy with it but i rather went with an i3. Reason i wonder how long it'll last is I'm waiting for tax season to upgrade again to intel. Hoping no really awesome game gets release that i will not be able to play.
m
l
July 16, 2012 10:27:55 PM

Well, I'd stop kicking yourself, because he's incorrect. The GTX 460 is a stronger video card, theres no logical reason why the 550TI should be benching higher other than the fact that the i5-2300 is bottlenecking the card @ 2.8GHZ.. Now, to be fair, the i3s are clocked @3.1 as such, since most games use 2 cores, they can and do outperform Phenom IIs, however the difference based on Tom's Hardware benches is about 1-5FPS depending on the game. In terms of gameplay, if I put two computers in front of you, one with an i3 and the other with a Phenom II, both with your 6850 video card, you would never be able to guess which is which.

m
l
July 16, 2012 10:28:51 PM

nekulturny said:
No.. its not.. *smack* Phenom II 965s are still very competent CPUs for gaming in 2012. Considering my overclocked Phenom II Cinebenches higher than my i5-2300 @2.8 and cost about $40 less than the i5...

-----

Anyway.. That computer as configured while not ideal, mainly because of the older motherboard and DDR2 RAM, and entry level video card. It should be fine to last you another year or two, but really this depends on your expectations. If you're planning on maxing out Battlefield 3 in 1080 its not happening with that setup of course. But it should play a mid settings just fine.

Oh yeah my motherboard sucks!!! but for an old board does have some decent features or maybe i just haven't had a good motherboard yet to know what good features are like. lol

I got a few idea's planning on piledrive to come out and see how that goes as far gaming then crossfiring two hd 6850's. or just make the jump to intel which will cost but may be the best choice. I figure when piledriver comes out intel will lower prices a bit.
m
l
July 16, 2012 10:43:53 PM

Yea, the motherboard isn't that great honestly. lol really where a more expensive motherboard is going to shine however is when you're running Sli/Crossfire cards or overclocking. For the novice user, the main thing that comes into play is.. is this board so cheap its going to die on me in a year?

As far as piledriver, its looking like based on benches of the new Trinity APUs, that the FX-8 core PD's will be about as good as Sandy Bridge i5s. The Trinity quad cores (which use PileDriver architecture) perform on par with Sandy Bridge i3s based on Tom's benches, this is where my logic comes from on that issue.

As far as Intel lowering their prices, they won't do that. They never do. Intel outsells AMD 5 to 1 in the CPU market, as such Intel doesn't need nor want to sacrifice a penny in profit. Yes you probably gathered I'm somewhat of an "AMD fan", nevertheless, you can take that to the bank, that Intel's prices will hold steady no matter how good or bad PileDriver turns out to be.
m
l
July 16, 2012 11:02:51 PM

First of all i want to start off by saying thanks for answering.

Well lets hope my mobo stays alive at lease until i get a new one.

I've been looking at this board since it is in my price range and it has everything i need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I just want an opinion on it. I don't want to buy something that will set me back like the prevous motherboard. I will do overclocking once i get my new cooler, also crossfiring.

I did read up on that apu and so far its looking good maybe they may tweak some more to make it better for when the desktop version releases
m
l
July 16, 2012 11:11:37 PM

You're welcome. Sorry I got a little testy with the other fellow, I hope he understands, its not that I'm trying to argue that Phenom IIs are better than Sandy Bridge. Clearly it speaks volumes that a Phenom II has to be overclocked to 4.0GHZ just to perform slightly better than an i5 @ 2.8. My point is merely that its not accurate to make it sound like just because Intel makes better CPUs that this means that Phenom IIs are only suitable as frisbees or paperweights.

As far as my opinion on that motherboard, its a decent one yes. My only objection to Asrock is that they're stingy about their warranties. Often you have to buy one of their higher dollar boards to get a better warranty (as you can see that one only has a 1 year warranty)

I would be looking at something more like this if you want to stick with AMD rather than going Intel. If you do go Intel, my suggestion would be to wait until you have enough cash for something like an i5-3450/2500K/3570K with a Z77 motherboard, because as I already pointed out, an i3 is not going to really be an "upgrade", more a sidegrade.

As far as comprable board to the one you're looking at, I'd consider this Asus one, with mail in rebate its actually a couple bucks cheaper and has a 3 year warranty. It will also be compatible with the upcoming PileDrivers, and yes your Phenom II 965 will work on it, however PileDrivers will not backward compatible with AM3 boards as you have now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
I did read up on that apu and so far its looking good maybe they may tweak some more to make it better for when the desktop version releases

They do look pretty promising, however, we're a long way away from APUs replacing discrete graphics for gaming machines. Perfect for the average daily computer user though. Which is the market AMD is looking to take on rather than going after Intel for the top spot in the enthusiast market.

m
l
!