Sign in with
Your question

How does a water cooling system work

Last response: in Components
November 27, 2012 8:55:45 AM

Could someone please tell me how a water cooling system works or any possible ways how to make a homemade water cooling system?

-e-coli

November 27, 2012 9:50:35 AM

In making of a homemade system there is high risk of damage you can do, so why do wont to make one and do you have the means to make one.
The system use water because water has a higher thermal conductivity than air - it can move heat faster than air can. Water also has a higher specific heat capacity. It can absorb more heat before it starts to feel hot. This is good because you can transport the heat somewhere far from the components.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 9:54:45 AM

No problems. Just close the thread if it's wrong. Hope you find what your looking for. Water cooling is a great hobby but don't expect it to be cheap ;) 
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:02:09 AM

Thanks for telling me that. But where do I exactly close the thread?
-ecoli
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:16:10 AM

I'll be honest, I've never created one so I wouldn't know. Sorry.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:23:42 AM

The purpose of a watercooling setup is exactly the same as your central heating system, to collect heat from a heat source and tranport it to somewhere where it can dissipate that heat. It can do this more efficiently than an air cooler but it also has it's downsides e.g. disrupted airflow within the case, leaks.

Reservoir/Header Tank -> Pump -> Heat source (cpu/graphics card) -> radiator -> Header tank/Reservoir
m
l
!