Collage pc (my first real pc)

RussianPenguin

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello,
I am in need for my computer that will last me through collage. Unfortunately I am a total noob when it comes to GHz or clocks. I am willing to spend $2000-$3000 on it if it will last me through collage. I am planning on being able to do anything from playing video games to whatever else collage students do on computers. From my brief research online I don't have good idea for what I am looking for. Will I have to make my own pc or is there on the market that meets my needs? 

Ps: I am by no means loyal to these if there is a necessity for something else (ie: I really need a 32g ram!) please tell me. I have what I think I want and how much I can spend on it.

1/2t to 1t hard drive //price range >$500
Ram 8g or 16g //price range >$200
CPU 4-6 core < 3 ghz  //maybe intel i7? Price >$500
Graphics card (I have absolutely no idea) //price range: >$200? $300 max?
Motherboard (no idea) //price: >$300? $500 max?
I don't need a cd burner or anything like that but am I missing anything important?

As a side question on the tech sites I've been to they keep talking about how crisis will "bring a pc to its knees" what would it take to play crisis on max settings?  (not that this pc needs to)

Solution
OK, cool

Well technology changes completely over about 18months, so if you are just planning for the future, all the recommendations will change by then.

Just check back when you are ready to build/buy.

That being said, if you don't *need* a custom PC, buying a pre-built machines from dell/hp/apple whatever is still a valuable option. Your school may also have special educational discounts.

If you want to build a custom PC, see if you can find techno-geeks at school who maybe a good face-to-face resource that can help you out.

There are also build-to-order places who will put together your parts for a fee.

RussianPenguin

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Yes to photoshop and video games.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
you do not need to spend $2000 for a really high end computer anymore.

If you really have that budget, but don't know what you want, you are better served just spending the 1500 or less now for a "mid" range computer itself (that can still do everything) compared to the absoute best-of-the-best
There are diminishing returns for stuff. The best stuff costs twice as much but may only offer 20% improvement.

You also didn't say if you need a monitor or accessories. A nice new monitor (or 2!) is going to get you more enjoyment, than blownng that part of your budget on overkill amount of videocard or cpu.

RussianPenguin

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

I don't have the money right now I was planing on saving over the next year or two. Thanks for the advisee!

RussianPenguin

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

I have a laptop but I was planning on using this desktop for all the serious stuff.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
OK, cool

Well technology changes completely over about 18months, so if you are just planning for the future, all the recommendations will change by then.

Just check back when you are ready to build/buy.

That being said, if you don't *need* a custom PC, buying a pre-built machines from dell/hp/apple whatever is still a valuable option. Your school may also have special educational discounts.

If you want to build a custom PC, see if you can find techno-geeks at school who maybe a good face-to-face resource that can help you out.

There are also build-to-order places who will put together your parts for a fee.

Solution