Sign in with
Your question

Short circuited graphics card. GTX480

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 4:59:54 PM

Hello,
my GTX 480 shortcircuits when I connect the 8-pin power connector. I've removed the cooler and measured the resistance of the pins. Here are my results:
http://oi46.tinypic.com/2ecm7pv.jpg
The red connection gives me close to an infinite resistance. The yellow connections has a resistance of between 10000-80000 ohms and the green connection has almost no resistance. I've also measured the resistance between the cooling "rails" and the pin, but I get an infinite resistance there.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this? I've considered baking it in the oven, but i feel that mostly fixes no connection between two solder points rather than a short circuit.

Thanks!
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 5:02:24 PM

Hi

Is the card still under warranty?
May 23, 2012 5:03:41 PM

Unfortunately, no.
Related resources
May 23, 2012 5:14:39 PM

Hmm im in the process of fixing my gtx 570. VR failure so far Ive removed all high side mosfets and will be replacing them tonight. If you are able you could try removing or lifting the inductors on the VR section and see if it still shorts. If it does its probably not the GPU itself and would probably still be fixable. Vr section is somewhat simple to fix since the mosfets are what normally dies.
!