Sign in with
Your question

HP Slimline s5289d PSU Upgrade

Last response: in Components
November 27, 2012 10:06:42 AM

Hello, I have a HP Slimline s5289d PC. I wanna change that crap Geforce 210 to a Radeon 5570. MY PSU is only 220 watts. What PSU's can fit in the case ? I got an email from HP Support :"After reviewing on your e-mail, I understand that your HP Pavilion Slim line s5289d Desktop PC wherein “S5289d” you want to be upgrade.

I greatly appreciate that you have forwarded the matter to us and I as an HP-Tech support take the ownership of the issue and I assure you to resolve the issue to the best of my abilities.

Roberto, I want to inform you that you can upgrade “S5289d”. However, HP recommends not to change the size of tower and Hardware. Also, I have researched and found that your HP Pavilion Slim line s5289d Desktop PC is shipped with MICROATX. However, I am sending you the link to see the product specifications of motherboard and the hardware.

I would request you to visit the below mentioned web link and check product specifications:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01..."

From that i can see MicroATX. What does that mean ? Need enlightment
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2012 10:37:06 AM

You should definitely upgrade the PSU. Looking at the case, it looks like it doesn't use a standard ATX/Micro-ATX PSU, but instead a smaller form factor model. Fear not, there are higher end models of even the smaller form factors (I might be wrong, but you're is probably something like TFX12V; unfortunately, your link does not specify this) for PSUs.

Exactly which form factor that cases uses is not something that I'm sure of. If it supports TFX12V like I think it does, then this is probably your best option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of course, I may be completely wrong about which form factor it supports. Unless another Tom's member with experience with that exact system jumps in, maybe you can talk to that HP support guy or if you're lucky, the form factor of the PSU might be typed on the sticker of the PSU (almost all PSUs, even in OEM systems such as HP desktops, have a sticker with various info on them, but you probably already knew that).

m
l
November 27, 2012 12:06:46 PM

I just got another reply from HP Total Care " On reviewing your e-mail, I understand that you want to know the maximum size of the PSU can use in your PC and you want to fill up another RAM on your HP Pavilion Slimline s5289d Desktop PC.

Roberto, I want to inform you that you can insert another RAM on your desktop PC and the maximum size of PSU is microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches).

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further." What does that mean ?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2012 12:29:22 PM

9.6" x 9.6" isn't a PSU size that I'm aware of. That's probably just the motherboard size since a MicroATX motherboard is usually 9.6" by 9.6". They seem to be just beating around the bush or something :/ 

Did you find anything important on the PSU's info sticker?
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:16:42 PM

Will a Mini-ITX PSU Fit ? Which is bogger, TFX or Mini-ITX PSUs ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2012 1:27:23 PM

IDK. If your current PSU doesn't have its form factor specified, you could get a tape measure, measure its width, height, and depth, and compare that to the TFX, Mini-ITX, etc. If neither of them fit right, we can try other form factors.
m
l
!