ATI RADEON 5830 Pixel corruption

Mathak

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hello. I am having some trouble with my graphics in 50% of my games. Instead of explaining, here is a picture:
20gbexi.jpg
Skyrim and Dark Void are the only games I've experienced being close to unplayable due to this "pixel corruption" but it appears in other games as well, such as Mass Effect 2 and Bullletstorm, though only on certain textures (dirt-like texture). Other games, such as Heroes of Newerth (with OPENGL instead og directx) DotA 2, and Left 4 Dead 2 runs without this error. I have the newest driver installed ATI CATALYST 12-4.

Now my question to you fine sir's out there is: What the heck is going on? :S

Regards

Confused One

Mathak

Honorable
May 23, 2012
And I am very sorry for the picture being retardedly large. But for some reason, I am not allowed to edit it >.<

What's your GPU temps? Does this happen when you start the game or when you play like for 3 hours (workload)?

Does this happen while you're IDLING at desktop or watching youtube videos?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Could be an overheating video card, or potentially an unstable overclock (they go hand in hand pretty frequently). Can you monitor your temperatures while playing? MSI Afterburner will chart your temps in real time so you can go look at them after playing for a bit.

JustLurking

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
I have similar texture problems with my 4850, but only when I use the latest Catalyst drivers. I see black smudgy circles all over the terrain in some games.

I dropped back to the Catalyst 11.3 drivers and it works again. /shrug

I don't know if it's the same problem, but it might be worth a try.

HTH.

[edit: typos]

Mathak

Honorable
May 23, 2012

It happens immediatly when I start games such as Skyrim or Dark Void. It happens occacionnally on other games, depending on the texture (dirt-like as I mentioned)

I will look into this. However I don't think that, that is it. Since games such as Saints Row 2 (which draws heavily from performance) runs like a charm.

I'll also try this out.

Thanks for helping me out guys

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Since other games that are equally demanding don't have issues, I'm leaning toward a driver problem. Try installing an older driver. There usually isn't any great benefit to newer video card drivers if your old ones didn't have any problems.

Mathak

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Dropping to driver version 11-3 had no effect. But yes, there is a high probability that this is a driver issue. However, I'm having a hard time figuring which one to install...

Oh, and no. It does not happen while idling or watching youtube

Mathak

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Edit: Hm. It would seem, that though I run an older application of catalyst it still installs the latest display driver... Anyone have any thoughts about this? How do I truly install an older driver?

First express uninstall all AMD drivers and use driver sweeper to make sure that's there are no AMD files left, this is the list of previous drivers;
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx
CCC 12.1/12.2/12.3 worked like a charm for me without any problem. If you tried this and still have a problem, maybe you wanna take off the GPU and clean the PCIE from dust, sometimes it causes this issue but not as big as what I saw from you.