VP6 - harddrive refusing to format

G

My abit vp6 mobo may have been damaged - my other harddrive (both ide) got entirely fragged. Tried to reformat a new one, and it refuses. Trying to format and install W2k from the CD. It asks me to partition, then install on that partition. And then it states that that harddrive is unreadable, please format and install. So it puts me in this loop.
I can format the hd (its brand new) with no problems on the other machine - Works great. So its not the HD.
I can plug it into the VP6 and it works great -
But, the VP6 is a dual mobo - and W2k wont recognize that it's got 2 cpus on the VP6. Thats a problem. I checkd the chips, np - checked the slots, np.
W2k recognized 2 chips a while back, before the crash, and I had transferred that hd over already formatted.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get an already installed version to recognize 2 cpus - or have an idea as to what's wrong with my mobo, would be greatly appreciated!!

echo
www.echo-x.com

G

I don't know what is causing the problems you are having, but also being a VP6 owner, i know a little about the board.

What bios are you using? the latest one is the WK. That might fix it up for you.

crash? what were you doing before the crash, and what did the crash look like? BSOD?

the fact that it won't format properly suggests that it might have something to do with the HPT370 controller(are you using this?). but if you are having problems with your cpu then it might be the bios or chipset.

You can check the number of CPUS here: System properties(advaced tab)->environment variables->look at the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS field. should have two if you have two installed and working ok.

Really, the only way your vp6 can be damaged is if you don't properly earth yourself before getting inside (static electricity) or putting unnecessary force somewhere it shouldn't (plugging a cable and pushing it a bit too hard).
If you havn't done any of that, and the hardware is damaged, then i'd consider yourself to be pretty unlucky.

hope i've helped